Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #1

Poor design by GM

Re: 2010 Jayco Seneca 36MS on 2009 Chevy Kodiak powered by Duramax Turbo 6.6L V8 diesel.

Am about to spend $425 to replace broken EGT sensor. Seems this sensor was "broken" in 2 places. Caused check engine light to come on. This sensor is a harness & plug wire that's UNDER the chassis and exposed to all sorts of road debris: rocks, sticks, chunks of tire etc. If the debris is large enough to be seen, one would naturally try to avoid these things to prevent any damage to their RV. However there are much smaller bits of stuff that over time could easily be thrown under resulting in striking this EGT sensor wire that's underneath. But because mine was "broken," the GM/Duramax approved service folks said they couldn't submit the broken EGT sensor wire as a warranty covered repair. So maybe they're not wanting to wait for payment. Who knows. Nevertheless, this EGT sensor wire placement seems a bit stupid without any means of protecting it from normal road debris that might eventually damage or break it. Is this a dumb design or am I dumb? Preparing to do battle w/GM over this since RV is still under warranty. I may not succeed, but as a newspaper columnist, I'll let others know how GM's idiotic designs cost consumers. Any suggestions? Thanks.
1cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is it in a section of exhaust pipe that can be turned so sensor is on the top of pipe and maybe it was installed wrong to begin with.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #3

Service mgr @ Chevy dealer said he would try to arrange it so that (hopefully) won't happen again. As for poor installation by GM...that's most likely the reason. No such thing as quality work nowadays is there? Am preparing to do "battle" with GM on warranty coverage. Heck, I didn't get under the thing and beat it with a hammer just to see if it would break! Thanks.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
paz

Most pollution control devices are supposed to be warranted for 5 years or 50,000 miles. The repair cost should be on GM.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Does the warranty say "covered unless it physically breaks"? I doubt it. Their construction, their warranty, their bill.
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #6

Last posters: Yeah, you're right! I just got off phone with GM consumer rep. After checking with service mgr @ GM approved service site, I'll get a call back. Although nothing assured with rep (they can't make those decisions), I think it might turn out okay for me. Meanwhile I've figured it out: The service mgr doesn't want to take the time to make calls and/or do paper work & have to wait for payment from GM! Instead the customer (me) writes check for repair and they've got $$$ immediately! It took me a while to figure this one out. Duh! When this issue is settled, I'll blast the dealer and especially service mgr for his rotten attitude. Thanks all for your ideas.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cowboy View Post
When this issue is settled, I'll blast the dealer and especially service mgr for his rotten attitude. Thanks all for your ideas.
1cowboy, Before you go blasting anything and burning bridges I would find out if it was at all possible that the coach builder or other party may have installed that peripheral part if there is more than one way it can be installed.

I would find another vehicle that looks like yours if at all possible and just sneak a peek to see if that would be possible.

As GM has authorized the repair your suspicions about the service manager could be correct. Please go with a little more purpose and a lot less temper. Hopefully this will get straightened out to your satisfaction. Remember honey, vinegar and the bees.

Your pen is a mighty - but use it wisely.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #8

DriVer:

Your words are well taken. Perhaps my frustration with sloppy service is too much for you. Fear not! I've dealt with and helped others to deal with customer service issues for years & have been pretty successful in resolving issues satisfactorily. I use a multi stage process; beginning with manufacturer, moving on to next level of service provider and as many other stages as necessary to find the root of the problem and where responsibility lies. Don't think coach builder fits into the mix since this is clearly a chassis problem. But haven't totally discounted that at this point. Worry not DriVer, I shan't call in fire and brimstone upon the head(s) of service manager (who I think could use a little customer service training) or his associates. By the way, I've been using my "pen" for more than 45 years as a professional writer. Honey, vinegar, bees? How about adding ink to your blend? As the words on a T shirt I recently saw read: Trust Me...I'm a politician!