Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Well done.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
The vent at the top of the fridge leaked and rotted a large section or the wall. That is the only section that I haven't been able to repair well. I believe I will try your method there. T have some additives for epoxt that turn it into a thick mealy glue that holds well. It would be good on the replacement wood. The window seals went. The aluminum trim at the bottom of the long walls is designed to collect water when it rains and trap it so that it wicks up from the bottom. I had no idea about these things and one day I noticed something wrong and started looking. By then we has about 30% delamination. I'll be posting the repair soon.
I used a product called Git Rot. It is an epoxy that works well if the wood has dried out.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:03 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Props to you, Kahoona. Nothing wrong with writing a check if you can, nothing wrong with pulling up your socks and tackling it yourself if you can't. I'm more in the latter camp, BTW. Appreciate your detailed writeup. Keep up the good work.

Recently noticed a bit of water damage in ours. Water infiltration is the one thing that makes me depressed... Hard to find, and the damage is hard to fix... Grrrr. Gotta pull up MY socks.

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great job! Im planning to do the repaint on mine as well. Thanks for the write up.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I used a product called Git Rot. It is an epoxy that works well if the wood has dried out.
Thanks! I can use that for sure. I see it here.
BoatLIFE GIT-Rot
Old 07-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Props to you, Kahoona. Nothing wrong with writing a check if you can, nothing wrong with pulling up your socks and tackling it yourself if you can't. I'm more in the latter camp, BTW. Appreciate your detailed writeup. Keep up the good work.

Recently noticed a bit of water damage in ours. Water infiltration is the one thing that makes me depressed... Hard to find, and the damage is hard to fix... Grrrr. Gotta pull up MY socks.
The thing that irritates me about the water infiltration is the way that Coachmen built it knowing that it would happen. Often it wasn't even done for economy but just due to poor choice of parts. The lower trim piece is guaranteed to take all rain runoff and hold it against the bottom of the side while it wics up and rots! Drain holes would have saved the panel or a piece without an inner lip. Once the rot is in there I can't even keep the compartments sealed or the wheel arches on! Makes me crazy (ier)!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #21
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Looks great. I am always amazed at the resourcefulness of the RV community. Gives me lots of good ideas too!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice job. I can see myself doing similar to my MH in a few years.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #23
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The thing that irritates me about the water infiltration is the way that Coachmen built it knowing that it would happen.
ME TOO !!!!!!!

If these units are driven in a wet/rainy environment, I suspect the service life of these units is about 7-10 years before they literally rot away.

I'm resealing the lower walls aft of the rear wheels as the plastic cloth they glued on is all falling away and exposing the wood.

And the thing with the exterior frig access door frame lip just blows me away. All the water that flows down the outside of the MH will drain into the frig compartment, and rot that wall away.

Fixing Frig exterior access panel door leaks | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Delam_15_600.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	99479  

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:13 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
You are a man of means!! Great job.

When you are faced with fixing it yourself or paying someone else on a limited income the choice is obvious especially if you are capable & based on the pictures you are capable.

I was faced with a daunting task of fixing 3 basements doors plus the hinges and the bottom trim on the front slide out. This was all damaged when my wife was pulling out of a fuel station. I would hate to think what it would have cost to have a repair shop fix. I cost me ~$500 in parts and paint. Turned out pretty good, next time I'll do better.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Even if you can write the cheque there is nothing wrong with doing it yourself.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by planojeeper View Post
Great job! Im planning to do the repaint on mine as well. Thanks for the write up.
Glad you like it. I will continue to post until it is finished. Then I will tell you what I might have done differently so please stick around till the end.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
subscribed!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #28

fantastic job.

Tags
paint, repair