Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #15
I have my '06 Essex registered as an '06 Spartan . HA HA

Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
Good information about the RIV process. I'll be sure to pass this along, as I have done with the other replies from all of you.

Bissonnettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In terms of registering the vehicle in Canada -at least in Ontario- the year digit (tenth digit) in the VIN drives the model year for the vehicle. Ontario does not utilize the RVIA standard which registers the vehicle according the the year designated by the final manufacturer. My 2009 Journey on a08 chassis is registered as a 08. I got absolutely nowhere trying to get the DOT to consider the RVIA policy.
09 Journey 39Z
Southern Ontario
bobmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
Other than the idea that your friends feel they have been mislead (which is very much open for debate as the replies prove).... What difference does the year make? Are your friends planning to "flip" the RV when they get home? NADA values are only a guide and are not a hard and fast determination of market value.

Personally, I would be less concerned about the year & the NADA than about "how" the unit & it's systems are actually working! It is after all an 8/9 yr old RV. Anyway, I am not writing to defend this dealer....just wondering if this is something worth getting all torqued-up about or is it a case of buyers

Why not relax and start enjoying your new purchase?
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
Originally Posted by Shardan1 View Post
We just got our title back from the state and it goes by the date on the Motorhome MSO. Just as MrD said. They use the chassis VIN, but they use the completed MH date for the year
That's what my title says, it is a 2006 motorhome which I bought in 2006 with a Spartan Vin number. If the title states it is a year older then that is the year to use for valuation. I would be screaming if someone wanted to title mine as a 2005 and I lost a years resell value.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
Entegra only orders a chassis for a sold unit. They don't want the issues of having left over chassis for a new model year. Especially after last years Aspires. Some on Freightliner, and some on Spartan.
2013 Entegra 44DLQ Ebony Blaze
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Limited Toad
Shardan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #21
Mine too has a '93 chassis and a '94 completion date by Fleetwood. The VIN shows '93. The title now says '94 after I went to the Oregon DMV and showed them the documents (I have the original sales documents). Pretty common error I believe. In my rig, there is a Federal Certification Tag right under the drivers window with the '93 chassis, '94 Completion info on it.

I'd bet the Kountry Star has the same tag somewhere.

Once that's checked, and if it is actually a 2004 (few dealers are going to get this wrong), then it's a simple matter of having the title changed. That's their first recourse.

If it does turn out to be a 2003, recourse is to at least talk to the owner of the dealership about their mistake, and ask for a refund of the NADA value difference. And I have heard of this happening. Next step if that doesn't work is talking to the news media. Your chances are strong as selling a vehicle as being newer then it is in actuality is is fraudulent.

I think it's just a mistake on the title.
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #22
Ford Super Duty Owner
The #1 complaint at our dealership was split year motorhomes. The folks who say the motorhome year is the year you go by are right. We had to have the dealership manager go to the tag office several times to get this straight. We finally got a letter from the state capitol to straighten it out. After that we just sent a copy of the letter with the split year coach. As a side note My coach is a 1998. It is titled as a 1999. Ford went to a 97 vin to a 99. They did not make a 98 vin. I gave up argueing with them and will just tell whoever I sell it to that it is a 1998. I would make sure I got the title right because it will cause your tradin to be less. Just hang in there and you can get it right.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just checked my California MH registration. My chassis is a 2007 and the MH registration shows as a 2008 Winnebago.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #24
Good news. The dealership has been good at getting the matter corrected. End result is that the title is going to be changed from 2003 to 2004. Carol and Rod are happy with the result. Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to respond. Your replies have been very, very helpful!
Bissonnettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #26
Make sure you tell the tax man. Anyway you look at it somebody's going to pick your pocket.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #27
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
According to federal law, at 49 CFR 565.13(a), a vehicle manufactured in more than one stage must have a Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”) assigned to it by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. One character position in the VIN sequence identifies the model year of the incomplete vehicle. Once it is assigned, this VIN stays with the incomplete vehicle when it is sold to the motorhome manufacturer. The incomplete vehicle manufacturer may also ship the chassis with a “Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (“MCO”). This MCO document provides information about each particular chassis.

How do final stage manufacturers identify their vehicles?
Final stage motorhome manufacturers continue to use the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. Motorhome manufacturers also provide MCO documents with their motorhomes when they are shipped to dealers. The model year of the completed motorhome, which is determined by the motorhome manufacturer, appears on this MCO document.
That doesnt say that the RV must be registered using the MCO... Mine is registered using the VIN.

However, I do believe that the correct date should be on the title and that date is determined by the MCO.

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote

motorhome, purchase, service