Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #1

Angry poor service with motorhome purchase

I'm writing this on behalf of another couple who just purchased in Mesa AZ what they thought was a 2004 Kountry Star Newmar motorhome. Turns out it's a 2003 according to the Title that they just received after completing the deal one month ago in Mesa. According to NadaGuide, it's probably worth $10,000 less than what they paid. They have had other issues too - due to a number of staffing changes in the last month, the dealer has not yet installed a face plate on their tow vehicle, which was included in the deal. They've been getting a lot of lip service and passing the buck on promises. I'd be tempted to ask for my money back. This couple and ourselves are from Canada and are planning to make the trek home at the end of March. What recourse do they have?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well if your still in the area of where they purchased you may want to contact a local tv station with your story and see what they may do. A lot of stations have had success in situations like this to get the problem resolved, obviously exposing the practices of a particular business. As far as the year of the coach, most are titled to the year that the chassis was built and that is determined by the vin #. It's possible that it might be on a 03 chassis but the coach is a 04 model build. This happens quite often if manufactures have left over chassis. Might not be fair but that's the way it is.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The title would be for the chassis and may be a model year older than the coach. therefore it would be registered as 2003. You will find it is quite common on motorhomes even though the coach is listed as a 2004 model.
If the dealership is Le Mesa RV, contact their home office at 1-800-504-4199 concerning the base plate.
az bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
As far as the year of the coach, most are titled to the year that the chassis was built and that is determined by the vin #.
That's against Federal Law. The law says they MUST be titled according to the motorhome manufacturers Statement of Origin. The chassis is bought as an incomplete vehicle, the motorhome manufacturer completes the vehicle and they then become the manufacturer of the complete vehicle.

Here's a link to the RVIA .pdf on "Split Year vehicles.

It could legally have a 2003 chassis but MUST be registered as the model year that Newmar says it is.

You may want to check it out before raising a big "stink" about it. It might just be titled wrong as per the above info in my link.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That's against Federal Law. The law says they MUST be titled according to the motorhome manufacturers Statement of Origin. The chassis is bought as an incomplete vehicle, the motorhome manufacturer completes the vehicle and they then become the manufacturer of the complete vehicle.

Here's a link to the RVIA .pdf on "Split Year vehicles.

It could legally have a 2003 chassis but MUST be registered as the model year that Newmar says it is.

You may want to check it out before raising a big "stink" about it. It might just be titled wrong as per the above info in my link.
I have never heard of any state registering a vehicle using the MCO number. Nowhere in the link did I see where it is stated it is against federal law to use the VIN.
If there is a reference to the contrary I would like to see it. I have been wrong before
Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I have never heard of any state registering a vehicle using the MCO number. Nowhere in the link did I see where it is stated it is against federal law to use the VIN.
If there is a reference to the contrary I would like to see it. I have been wrong before
Guess you didn't read the .pdf very well:
Quote:
According to federal law, at 49 CFR 565.13(a), a vehicle manufactured in more than one stage must have a Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”) assigned to it by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. One character position in the VIN sequence identifies the model year of the incomplete vehicle. Once it is assigned, this VIN stays with the incomplete vehicle when it is sold to the motorhome manufacturer. The incomplete vehicle manufacturer may also ship the chassis with a “Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (“MCO”). This MCO document provides information about each particular chassis.

How do final stage manufacturers identify their vehicles?
Final stage motorhome manufacturers continue to use the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. Motorhome manufacturers also provide MCO documents with their motorhomes when they are shipped to dealers. The model year of the completed motorhome, which is determined by the motorhome manufacturer, appears on this MCO document.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Guess you didn't read the .pdf very well:
Check your own title or registration. I think you will find they used the Vin and not the MCO number.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #8

these are all helpful information. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
The bottom line is the year on the title is the one that matters.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #10

We just got our title back from the state and it goes by the date on the Motorhome MSO. Just as MrD said. They use the chassis VIN, but they use the completed MH date for the year
Old 02-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
The bottom line is the year on the title is the one that matters.
And that is determined by Federal Law.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #12

My 2004 MH has a 2002 chassis. I think they use up chassis as they get orders for new MH. When they finish building a MH, it becomes "new" at that date.

As far as what you can do, I think walking a picket line with big signs outside the dealership might work. Any kind of publicity is something they wouldn't like. Yelp! online is a good place to complain, but I would only do it after you got the shield done. Also, make sure you are talking to a person who is high up in the dealership food chain. They can often expedite matters. If your state has a department of Motor Vehicle Repairs, you can complain to them as well. It's funny, isn't it, how dealers often lose all incentive once you've given them your money, whether they've finished the job or not?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My MH is listed on the title for the state of Idaho as an 2000, but the year of Manufacture on the Ford F-53 by it's Vin number is 1999. I think you should check the year of manufacture on the MH and that is the year that should be on the Title. Check with Arizona Department of Motor Vehicle to find out for sure. Also if your purchase documents Show a year model on them then your title should reflect the same year.
jclarkfork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #14

Since this coach is being imported into Canada and is less than 15 years old, the coach will be registered into the RIV (Registrar of Import Vehicles) program. I believe RIV will use the year digit in the chassis VIN for determining the year of manufacture. RIV will require two clearance letters, one from the chassis manufacturer and one from the coach manufacturer. If the years differ on the two clearance letters, I am not sure how RIV handle that. The make of vehicle on my new title reads: Ford 550 MH. There is no reference to Winnebago on it whatsoever and the reason for that is the province of Nova Scotia uses Ford's VIN search and that is what Ford lists that VIN as.

Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, purchase, service