Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post

I cannot fill the air system through the front air accessory components air chuck. It just doesn't fill. I have to crawl under the coach and, fill the system through the shrader valve, that's attached to the bottom of the air dryer.

I have seen inexperienced tow truck drivers try and fill the air system through that front air chuck and, get frustrated because the system will simply not fill. I had to tell them, the only way to get air in at that point in system pressure (below 65 psi) is to do it through the shrader valve on the air dryer.

Just some information here for ya.
Scott
Good morning Scott, How is the weather in Arizona been? Bad winter in the east! OK.........Have you ever look into why you can't fill the air system from the front air chuck on your Coach? That is why they are installed and installed where they are located on most all Coach's. I am going to say that most wrecker's do not have that long of air line to reach the rear end from the tow truck(50-60' or more,maybe though?) How did he support the air hose down the side of your Coach for traveling? Most Coach's do not need the air line run to the air dryer for towing I do not think, most all use the air chuck , located in the front. And.........I am not sure about calling him "Inexperienced" , kinda hard on him I think for trying to do a procedure for towing that is suppose to work properly.
Now, I am going to have to try mine out and see what happens.......I have never tried to air up from the chuck up front..........going to try it.
John might be able to shed some light on this subject as it seems he has been on the tow truck end of things............

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/how-...rly-83140.html

I am not sure if John owned this wrecker in post #10 or not? I assume he did/does........impressive to say the least!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have Roadside thru my Insurance carrier. $36.00 a year.

I'm going to see how much a compressor would be to have one installed on my PA, For, Air Horns, Air bags, and Tire Pressure. Plus other uses.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm a little late to the conversation but thank you David.

There are many different styles of portable air compressors that are more than capable of airing up coach systems even if it was not what they were deigned to do. As already mentioned it's a common occurrence with some units to occasionally not air up from 0 on their own but once aired up with an outside source to function properly because one valve or another in the system could have a tiny speck of rust that prevents the system from doing what it's supposed to and once a volume of air is supplied the rust speck is either dislodged or crush or whatever but either way the valve is able to seat. It could be a repetitive problem in a system which would require maintenance or it might never happen again.

While many vehicles do have the schrader valve up front for towing there are quite a few more systems that only have them in the back in the engine bay. When located in the back the correct way (in my mind) is to run the air hose under the unit in tow securing the air line with bungee cords anywhere appropriate for securing then connecting to the schrader valve with a locking air chuck.

Schrader valves to fill an air system can be located in the front or/and in the rear on coach type vehicles, on the air compressor of semis and other air equipped brake trucks, on the air tanks themselves (2 valves a lot of times 1 for the dry tank and one for the wet tank the wet tank being the one for brake release).

Filling a system then trying to drive down the road with or without the store bought tire systems attached is a disaster waiting to happen they simply do not have the air volume required to keep up with the volumes of air required. I'm not a fan of even moving them in a parking lot but that's not to say I've never done it to get to the shoulder of the road. You've got it there are many drivers that do not pay attention to their air gauges nor hearing the low air buzzer and drive until the rear brakes lock up in the traffic lane

There are many individual systems that just refuse to be aired up from the front air chuck to release the brakes and as the picture shows many manufactures only put 1 air up valve in the panel where you needed 1 for the brakes, 1 for the suspension, and some older units 2 for the brakes (you don't see them very often now). Many manufactures do not take the time or effort to even mark what is used for what it's up to the user to figure it out

I've like others have run across many of these inoperable hook ups and on the side of the road is no place to waste time trying to find out why and you guessed it when they are no longer needed out of sight out of mind prevails and they never seem to get repaired. I can only suspect the little contaminants in the system somehow are the culprit.

As for the difficulty to air up the system with a rear under the coach air drier (my choice of hook up) if your a little handy it's a simple process to drain the air from the system, pull the valve out and install suitable brass fitting for 1/4" air line, run the line to a location of your choice them mount the vale for future use. If you do this make sure there are no kinks in the line (it's hard to kink the plastic line), make sure the line will not be pinched while traveling (easy to route improperly).

I hope I have not added confusion to the subject with my opinions.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Some have stated that they carry a portable for airing up the tires but wont the air chuck in the fuel compartment suffice for that.
Whether the onboard air chuck will work ok is subject to debate/opinion. If your system holds good air pressure, or the engine is running, you have about 125 psi on tap. However, that 125 drops as air is used and the onboard compressor typically doesn't kick on until somewhere around 90-95 psi, so the average pressure is lower than 125. If you need 100+ psi in the tires, it can be a hassle to get the compressor cycling every minute or two to bring the psi up high enough to use. Some people say "no sweat", while others find it a real PITA. Take your pick. But if you only need around 90 psi, the onboard system is probably both adequate and easy. Of course, the engine needs to be running to use much air, and that may not always be practical (or considerate of the neighbors).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Good morning Scott, How is the weather in Arizona been? Bad winter in the east! OK.........Have you ever look into why you can't fill the air system from the front air chuck on your Coach? That is why they are installed and installed where they are located on most all Coach's. I am going to say that most wrecker's do not have that long of air line to reach the rear end from the tow truck(50-60' or more,maybe though?) How did he support the air hose down the side of your Coach for traveling? Most Coach's do not need the air line run to the air dryer for towing I do not think, most all use the air chuck , located in the front. And.........I am not sure about calling him "Inexperienced" , kinda hard on him I think for trying to do a procedure for towing that is suppose to work properly.
Now, I am going to have to try mine out and see what happens.......I have never tried to air up from the chuck up front..........going to try it.
John might be able to shed some light on this subject as it seems he has been on the tow truck end of things............

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/how-...rly-83140.html

I am not sure if John owned this wrecker in post #10 or not? I assume he did/does........impressive to say the least!
Hey Palehorse89,
Well Sir, we just got back from a 150 mile motorcycle ride, in 77 degrees, no traffic, road clear, three couples,, after breakfast at Topoc 66 Restaurant. The weather, can't ask for better, at least this time of year anyways. Anyways, one of the questions you asked was about the issue I have filling the air system with the front air manifold, supplied by Winnebago/Itasca.

Well, the best I can figure is, there's a check valve in that section of the air system that is pressure regulated. And, it's set for about, 65 psi. You see, if the air system is below 65 psi, I cannot fill it, using the air manifold you see in the picture below. If I try, the gauge immediately goes to whatever pressure I'm trying to feed it.

But, if the system is over 65 psi., I can fill the entire system to capacity and the governor pop-off valve will do it's job. The picture below, shows the air chuck, valve and gauge, that sits at the right front section of the fire wall, when the hood for the generator is lifted. In the brochure for the coach, it labels this component as an "Auxiliary Source for Compressed Air". It says nothing about utilizing it as an emergency air fill station for brake release or towing.

Now, on the drivers side of that same compartment, I have a secondary air accessory manifold with just a Schrader valve on it. But, again, just like the other side, if the pressure is below 65, it's a NO GO for filling the system.

But, as stated earlier, I can fill the system, no matter what pressure is presently in it, at the Schrader valve on the air dryer. And, as John has suggested, I AM GOING TO BUILD AN AIR LINE from that Schrader valve for two purposes. One, to keep the system filled, while parked in the cave and we're not using it (without running the big CAT) and two, if and when this coach is ever towed, it will be there for the tow truck driver.

And, speaking of tow truck drivers, while it may a bit "harsh" on labeling them the way I did, it was actually "THEM" (the few I've had to deal with in my life) that labeled themselves as inexperienced. I had to deal with a few in the Fire Service when I held a post of Fleet Manager for our repair facility. Some had never transported a Fire truck before and, when called to do so, were a bit perplexed, so, some guidance was needed to edumacate them. I either backed or, forward loaded, many rigs on to roll-back flat beds for them.

That was fun, especially when you had only ONE INCH of bed sticking out from the side walls of the tires.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Palehorse89,
Well Sir, we just got back from a 150 mile motorcycle ride, in 77 degrees, no traffic, road clear, three couples,, after breakfast at Topoc 66 Restaurant. The weather, can't ask for better, at least this time of year anyways. Anyways, one of the questions you asked was about the issue I have filling the air system with the front air manifold, supplied by Winnebago/Itasca.

Well, the best I can figure is, there's a check valve in that section of the air system that is pressure regulated. And, it's set for about, 65 psi. You see, if the air system is below 65 psi, I cannot fill it, using the air manifold you see in the picture below. If I try, the gauge immediately goes to whatever pressure I'm trying to feed it.

But, if the system is over 65 psi., I can fill the entire system to capacity and the governor pop-off valve will do it's job. The picture below, shows the air chuck, valve and gauge, that sits at the right front section of the fire wall, when the hood for the generator is lifted. In the brochure for the coach, it labels this component as an "Auxiliary Source for Compressed Air". It says nothing about utilizing it as an emergency air fill station for brake release or towing.

Now, on the drivers side of that same compartment, I have a secondary air accessory manifold with just a Schrader valve on it. But, again, just like the other side, if the pressure is below 65, it's a NO GO for filling the system.

But, as stated earlier, I can fill the system, no matter what pressure is presently in it, at the Schrader valve on the air dryer. And, as John has suggested, I AM GOING TO BUILD AN AIR LINE from that Schrader valve for two purposes. One, to keep the system filled, while parked in the cave and we're not using it (without running the big CAT) and two, if and when this coach is ever towed, it will be there for the tow truck driver.

And, speaking of tow truck drivers, while it may a bit "harsh" on labeling them the way I did, it was actually "THEM" (the few I've had to deal with in my life) that labeled themselves as inexperienced. I had to deal with a few in the Fire Service when I held a post of Fleet Manager for our repair facility. Some had never transported a Fire truck before and, when called to do so, were a bit perplexed, so, some guidance was needed to edumacate them. I either backed or, forward loaded, many rigs on to roll-back flat beds for them.

That was fun, especially when you had only ONE INCH of bed sticking out from the side walls of the tires.
Scott

Thank you for the reply Scott, Sounds like a perfect Sunday out there, make room, 4 years, I am heading out there.........I understand now about your air system, I am going to try filling mine someday here when I am ready to get the Coach out of winter storage, as it is sitting on its jacks in the shop sleeping........enjoy and shove/push some of that weather east buddy
Old 03-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Thank you for the reply Scott, Sounds like a perfect Sunday out there, make room, 4 years, I am heading out there.........I understand now about your air system, I am going to try filling mine someday here when I am ready to get the Coach out of winter storage, as it is sitting on its jacks in the shop sleeping........enjoy and shove/push some of that weather east buddy
Well Sir,
You're welcome to come on over for a visit, anytime. We've got room. So far, we've been here for 10 months and, absolutely "0" complaints other than the "snow birders" clog up the restaurants, streets, boat ramps, gas stations, camp grounds, ..... Just kidding. They're all welcome.
Scott
Old 03-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
OP here...My front air up port is a male connection and not sealed against dirt...seems dumb to me. Think I'll add a ball valve to seal it up.

So, if the axillary air fitting in the fuel compartment won't air up my tires, what is it good for. No need to answer that, I guess...Thank guys for the info.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
OP here...My front air up port is a male connection and not sealed against dirt...seems dumb to me. Think I'll add a ball valve to seal it up.

So, if the axillary air fitting in the fuel compartment won't air up my tires, what is it good for. No need to answer that, I guess...Thank guys for the info.
Well Sir,
First, pictures would help here. Second, concerning the "male" fitting up front, are you the first owner of the coach? Third, the fitting may, or may not be used for airing up the system, in the even a tow truck is needed. Forth, it's possible that, maybe the original owner, or, any subsequent owner, may have removed a cover that USED to be on that male port, in the front. Just go get one that will fit. There are some hardware stores that sell rubber/plastic, colored caps in various sizes and lengths.

Many companies use them for protection of tips of bolts etc. so that the weather doesn't get to them and, there's less chance of injury in that area if a sharp end of a bolt is protected.

Now, as for your fitting in the "fuel" compartment. Have you tried to get air out of it, for filling a bicycle tire or, anything else? What is the result? If no air is present at that fitting, then either there is a manual valve is in place somewhere or, that is a filling port for the system. You'll have to do some further investigation and back tracking of that line to see where it goes and, if there's maybe a check valve in the line leading to it that won't let air out, but will let air in.
Scott
Old 03-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Scott
Then you can try it this way

A little late but just for information this is the locking type valve I was talking about earlier

Old 03-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Then you can try it this way

A little late but just for information this is the locking type valve I was talking about earlier

Hey John,
That lower picture of the Schrader valve, looks identical to mine. Yep, that's where I'm going to attach that fitting that's got the barbs in it that holds the plastic hose. I forgot the name of if. But from there, I'll extend that plastic hose to the rear of the coach and make it look pretty, like it was installed from the factory.
Scott
Old 03-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unless the laws have changed barbed fittings are not legal for for use in air systems on commercial trucks and I would expect the same holds true for MH.

You'd be looking for a Ferrell type fitting they are readily available in any auto parts store worth it's salt they're inexpensive (maybe even less expensive than the barbed fittings) and really do the job well.

The picture on the bottom shows the Ferrell type on the left.

Some people do use the barbed type fittings but let's just say I'm from a different school.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #27

I`m thinking he means the push on fitting that they use now. ( like shark bite, in plumbing ).

That Schrader valve, in the picture, is screwed into a check valve, so you can only use that port, to put air in.

Enjoy
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I`m thinking he means the push on fitting that they use now. ( like shark bite, in plumbing ).

That Schrader valve, in the picture, is screwed into a check valve, so you can only use that port, to put air in.

Enjoy
BINGO! That's exactly what I meant. The term "barbed" was wrong. What I meant was the type that you push on and, a movable collar "Bites" on the outside of the hose and, locks it in place. Then, if and when you want to remove it, you push on that collar and, the hose can be removed from the fitting. Sorry for the misleading terminology. The link below is representative of the style I meant.
Scott

Amazon.com: Rapidair 50200 Equal Tee Fitting with 1/2-Inch Tubing: Home Improvement

Tags
compressor