Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #1

Thinking about carrying a portable gen like Honda in box on rear platform. It would really be handy to operate it there, wired in and with access hole to pull start. The standard opinion is that it is that the portables are not made to operate in a box. Seems like with enough big vent holes all around including exhaust vent, might be OK. Wondered if anyone has ruined one trying to do that? Hal Underwood '92 Warrior

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #2

Thinking about carrying a portable gen like Honda in box on rear platform. It would really be handy to operate it there, wired in and with access hole to pull start. The standard opinion is that it is that the portables are not made to operate in a box. Seems like with enough big vent holes all around including exhaust vent, might be OK. Wondered if anyone has ruined one trying to do that? Hal Underwood '92 Warrior

Old 12-11-2007, 01:32 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
halcarol, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am going to add a shortcut to the New Members Check-In section and to the RV Systems and Appliance section of the forum for more exposure. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you decide.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:46 AM   #4

halcarol, Welcome to the IRV2 website, look forward to your posts. Ed.S
Old 12-11-2007, 04:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'd be inclined to mount a little fan in the box and plug it into the genset, so it ran whenever the genset was on.

Or how about a door that opened up and exposed the genset?

It is unlikely the generator would have an immediate melt down, but higher than normal heat is bad for an engines health, not to mention the inverter electronics in the quiet Honda EUI series. You could think all is OK, when in fact your are shortening the life of the genset by months or years due to excessive heat.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:03 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I wouldn't be as concerned about generator temperature as I would about exhaust into living area. If you could operate with door open and using the fan as suggested I think it would be fine temperature wise. What concerns me is the access from living quarters to the pull handle. If that sealed well I don't think you would have any problems.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #7

I modified a class III trailer insert storage box and mounted a EU2000 in it. I drilled several 1" holes all over the box except for the side facing forward. I then mounted the gen about 3" from the side wall and fabricated an expandadle tin duct over the exhaust area. The box itself was about 3 times the volume of the gen. so between the size of the box, the holes and the exhaust vent it stayed cool. We used it on a cargo van that had 110v roof air that could not be powered off the trucks gen.

First post complete. Hi folks.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #8

Hi and welcome to iRV2, Halcarol. I have to voice a concern regarding the access to a pull handle through the floor of the RV. I have known about all too many serious problems and deaths due to mal-functioning or improperly installed generators... an old friend lost 5 family members due to carbon monoxide poisioning at the Sebring race many years ago.

Please just be VERY careful... my two cents worth.
If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Skip- Kerrville, TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:14 PM   #9

As far as CO, make sure you have a good CO detector.

I carried an EU3000 under a 1/3 fiberclass cover in the bed of my pickup. To run it, I had a door in the front panel which allowed me access to the controls and outlets, and a full size door over it I opened for cooling and exhaust. I had a deflector to help get the exhaust out.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #10

Hi John: I too have an EU3000is I plan to carry in the front of the bed of my truck for 5vr power if dry camping. Was your fiberglass cover attached to the bed of the truck as a tonnue cover? Was it homemade or something you bought? Sounds like the solution I need to be able to operate in inclement weather and keep it hidden from prying eyes. Of course it will be securely chained to the bed as well.

2005 GMC 2500 Duramax, Crew, SLT
rramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #11

Yes, it was a fiberglass toneau cover, with one big, locked 'hatch' on each side. I had the EU3000 under one, and other stuff under the other one. It was held to the bed rails via bolts in the front and clamps at the rear, and there was a plywood front which filled the rear side, so the resulting compartment was 'completely' enclosed.

Of course, water could get in under the plywood, so I had a tarp over the bottom.

It was a few inches higher than the bed rails, and was the only thing I found which the generator could fit under (everything else was flush with the bed rails and the generator is just a bit taller than that.

Unfortunately, the company which made them (and a full bed cover with a hatch over the hitch and one between the hitch and tailgate) has gone out of business.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:29 AM   #12

I think the access door is in the enclosure ,not the camper.Making the enclosure with steel evpanded mesh like used for landscape trailer ramps would give ventilation and security.A solid top would keep the rain off.
BOB
Old 12-22-2007, 06:01 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
The generator box for my Yamaha has hinged bi-fold doors on the exhaust end of the box. I added a 9" electric fan on the opposite end of the box, with a exterior shroud/intake air (5" flexible) hose. The box also has bi-fold doors on the front for access to the generator controls.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:58 AM   #14

As You can see I am from Canada and travel across the county My 3000 Honda rides in the Motor Home under lock and key But before I had a pick up and it was in a plastic DOG HOUSE bought at a Wallmart I drilled holes in it for more venting and have the door cover painted gray and name Wolf on the top above the door I keep a chain around the handle.I set it out on the ground when at a spot for Boondocking and never have any one get close for the large water dish and the big chain and also dog leash makes any thief think and stay clear..My Glock is also on lock and load mode.Bushman and have a great Xmas all...