Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #1

Portable grey water totes

Once we return to Florida in late October/November 2014 we will be staying at State parks for two week periods. Reservations all made. Any way, some of the spots do not have sewer hook ups at the sites. So I decided to get a portable grey water tank to pull behind my toad, to the dump station every 3/4 days-give or take. I have been looking at Thetford, Barker and Tote-N-store units 32, 35 & 42 gallons. Does anyone have suggestions/recommendations on which one would be a good purchase? If there are other manufacturers, I would be interested as well.

LOL also, any suggestions on attaching the little devil on my rear ladder? I was thinking about bungie cords but I can just see the unit falling off and hitting the toad or worse another car and causing an accident. I am not sure if I will have room in one of the bays until we get up to my kids and deliver items we have for them. Our little toad will have other items in it as we travel.

Thanks for any help.

myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi myshaggydog,
If there is a store near you (like CW) that sells these, go and take a look at the size of these tanks. Multiply the tank capacity, in gallons, by 8.5. That is how much the liquid may weigh when full. The tanks are readily available at CW. Consider not making the purchase until you arrive at your winter destination, in Florida. This saves carrying the thing all the way down to Florida.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One other thing, do NOT store on the ladder when full!

burfurd
Old 05-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #4

I say get the largest one that is small enough for you to handle/ carry.

In addition, I make sure that mine comes with a axle so I can purchase a slightly longer one (standard round bar) in order to put larger, inflated, tires on it for eaiser travel.

Ed
Old 05-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #5

We have the Thetford 18 gal that I will not recommend. The attached hose, while great is a design nightmare. It is secured onto the tank with a bayonet type adapter. The adapter is attached to the hose with a stainless hose clamp. In cold weather, the hose being so short will twist off the tank when you attempt to attach the other end to the RV. No gate valve on the tank so if it comes loose, all the contents are on the ground. The hose is protected by a cheap plastic shield that pulls away because of almost no ground clearance which exposes the then un protected hose and can pull loose.
I have friends that have the Barker. It's straight forward with traditional features and a valve.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #6

As always Gary, thanks for your suggestions. Buford LOL I doubt I could lift the darn thing full to get er on the ladder.
Ed and Baliff thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at the Barker one.

I will need the tote once I get up to Syracuse as well as my many travels in Florida but do not need for about 2 months. I will compare prices at CW and Amazon once I get up to Syracuse and let u know what I decide.

Happy RV'ing
Old 05-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
x2 on the Therford 18 gal. Not only does it come apart at the wrong times, it also does not drain completely!
Bill & Teri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #8

For those interested I found several reviews on the Barker tote system and it seems like a well recommended tote system. Here is a link to the review I found very interesting:

Barker Portable Holding Tank (Blue Boy) Product Review

Their only suggestion was to replace the 4 plastic wheels with pneumatic wheels.

I think we probably will go for the 42 gallon one but need to measure one of my bays to see if it will fit. Got the dimensions from Barker web site.

Of course pulling the filled tote (weighing approx. 360 lbs) maybe a tad difficult. I think that is why the review suggested swapping the wheels out.

More to follow LOL.

Happy RV'ing
Old 05-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #9

FWIW - my rule of thumb for tying on anything is rope to keep it on and a bungee or two to keep it from flopping around. Found too many bungee cords on the roadside to trust them alone.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The new larger Barkers are coming with the pneumatic tires. I have one bought recently via Amazon. Works great. Very well made. Here are some pictures as I unpacked it.

As for carrying it on the motorhome, I got one of those slip on lawn chair racks for the rear ladder. Lift the front end and hook the tires over the front of the rack, then lift and pivot the back end up to vertical, hold in place with a bungee cord, secure for travel with a couple cargo straps. Pretty easy to handle this way.

If access is difficult and has to be pulled over soft ground or grass, don't fill it full to keep the weight down. Or if you have a macerator pump to the blue boy at a distance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	63171   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3 - Copy.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	63172  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 - Copy.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	63173   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4 - Copy.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	63174  

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used a 25 gallon Tote & Store for years. Remember you may not have good access to back your towing vehicle up to the area you are dumping the rig into the tank. Pulling a heavy tank from rig, through: grass, sand, etc, to the road to you towing vehicle, could be difficult. Also not all dump sites are easy to access, some have curb enclosures. two easy trips, to me beat one hard one. I carry it on the back ladder, using a chair holder rack. I use ratchet straps to secure it!
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #12

Vsheetz - thats great to know. Thanks for the update and pictures.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #13

The tires are defiantly the weak link. We Volunteered at a park that sprang on us at the last minute that we would be using a blue tank. It was a brand new Thetford. I forget what size, but it was pretty large. By the time the 2 months were over, we had totally worn through the plastic tires. It DID have a nice feature of having two front tires that helped in moving it around, but the plastic tires were useless.

I agree that the Barker looks to be a better unit, but ANY of them is not a great choice. We were filling one day and the cheap hose came off, and there was poop everywhere. YUK!
Old 05-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #14

Vsheetz:

I went to Amazon.com to check out the particular one with pneumatic wheels and could not locate it. I was just trying to get an idea of the price. Any idea if it was a particular Company that you bought from thru Amazon?

Thanks for any help.

Tags
water