Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #15

i have been using aportable sat dish for years now ,would not waste my money on any thing fixed, i build rv,s here in nz,at least with portble dish you can move to where ever you like ,missing trees etc, cheers from down under .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #16

Like a few others that have posted we use both. The primary one is roof top mounted dish. It works 95% of the time. On the occasions we do get blocked in by trees we break out the portable dish on a tripod.

If you ask when checking into most camp grounds they will accomodate you with a site that is open enough for satellite reception. When we camp in state or national forests it's almost a certainty we will need to get out the portable dish.

It's a lot less hassle to just push the button and let the dish do its thing but you do pay a price for it. Most people we know have shyed away from the domes in favor of a dish. Those who did have domes had more problems with weather and morning dew

Old 09-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #17

We also have a roof mount, rather expensive add on to motorhome purchase when you cannot always get signal. When the weather is hot, it is nice to be shaded by trees but satelite doesn't work. We have alittle portable dish that cost hardly anything, fixed a mount for it, got a signal finder and it works great. If we had to do it again, we would forego roof top unit, waste of money when with alittle bit of work, portable works fine. Also the roof mount needs to be kept clean of dust and dirt and it is not easy for us to crawl up on roof to wipe down all the time.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

All great advice.

We have the Winegard SK3005 and it is an amazing roof top, HD, automatic dish for DirecTv. It works great for us but we never boondock, and almost never stay at state or local parks. We do need to occasionally ask to be moved to a different site where we can get a clear view of the sky.

If you don't already have DirecTv at your stick house, getting a portable, automatic set up for Dish might be the best way to go.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #19

We have both....much prefer the auto seeking Winegard.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
This is almost like asking "what came first the chicken or the egg"! All sorts of opinions on which is best. I have used a roof top mounted for 5 years never had a problem with reception. Never had a problem aiming dish, just push a button an walla after several minutes programming appears. When I get ready to move, push a button, several minutes later ready to move. Hassle free!

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #21

Because of the shade at some campsites and we like shady sites, we have the portable with a lot of cable.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:55 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think having a portable is a good idea as trees are part of nature and more than once they have blocked our dish. I think one of each is the way to go.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
G'morning ALL:

Great discussion re: portable units. For you folks experienced with the "portable" units, if ya already have a roof top sat. dome, and ya get into a spot, say, with blocking trees, etc., how complicated is it to plug in your "portable" and switch over from using the roof top receiver, to using the portable feed. Is it the same, receiver? Does signal automatically switch from roof top to portable??

Sorry for dumb questions, but understand, we had to quit using our VCR back when our son left home cause we couldn't figure out how to set it up and/or program the dang thing.

Thanks for any input.

Steve & Lynette
Old 09-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee
G'morning ALL:

Great discussion re: portable units. For you folks experienced with the "portable" units, if ya already have a roof top sat. dome, and ya get into a spot, say, with blocking trees, etc., how complicated is it to plug in your "portable" and switch over from using the roof top receiver, to using the portable feed. Is it the same, receiver? Does signal automatically switch from roof top to portable??

Sorry for dumb questions, but understand, we had to quit using our VCR back when our son left home cause we couldn't figure out how to set it up and/or program the dang thing.

Thanks for any input.

Steve & Lynette
In our system we use 2 HD PVR Receivers (front & rear). In order to function correctly these receivers each need 2 coax cable hook-ups, so we have a total of 4 cables (each 100') running from our tripod mounted portable dish. I suppose anything is possible, but we explored switches, splitters, circuit boxes, etc. & internal routing to tie into the exiting roof top dish's coax cables....finally gave-up trying to find a tech who understood TV, Satellite & RV systems well enough to get the job done! In addition, at around $120p/hr for an RV tech, it didn't make sense to pursue some sort of elegant auto switching hook-up.....we just run the cables through an open window.....unhook the roof dish cables....hook-in the portable dish cables...and fire-up the system. Oh ya...crack a beer and settle-in for the joy of trying to get the signal tuned-in!,!!

Needless to say.....we only go through this routine if we are staying in a tree blocked site for at least a week or more and we have lots of beer.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use both types, if I am camped in the open without a lot of trees overhead I can use the one on top of the motor home, If I am located in the trees I get out the portable one. It is nice sometimes to be able to use the roof top one but also is nice if I can't use it to be able to drag out the portable and still get my TV.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Roof top mounted or portable?

The answer is YES, in fact BOTH is the best answer.. Shortened short course.

Rooftop dome: Can see one KU satellite at a time, Can be used in-motion if the proper kind, If you want in motion I will describe farther (please ask).

Rooftop DISH matching your service (Make sure you get the right dish) with automatic pointer. Very nice if you are parked "in the clear" push a button and TV!!!!

Portable dish: (Again make sure you get the right one) works even if you are parked under the "Evil Signal Eating Tree" but . . . You have to work at it a bit.

Recommendation:

Roof top feeds the "A" input on a common low cost A/B switch 1-10 dollars per switch, one switch per LNB input.

the "B" input goes to a ground Block in the Basement or to a Bulkhead connector down Below where you hook on the ground mount (Portable).

Setup procedure.

If in the open with A/B switch on A, push button to auto-aim roof top antenna.
If under evil signal eating tree: With switch on "A" hook up ground dish. then slide switch to B. Directions here vary a bit depending on service.

DirecTV and DirecHDTV: Reset the receiver (Dish users skip this line)

Using your remote find the antenna pointing page on your receiver enter the ZIP CODE of your park and jot down the initial settings.

Take a portable color battery operated TV (even a 5" will do) and hook to external TV jack set it to watch SAT tv and tune in to antenna aiming page...

Pre-set the Elevation and if needed Skew/Tilt (Depending on service same thing but different names)

Set the Azmiuth a bit east (or west) of target and slowly swing the antenna towards target.. When signal peaks on TV, fine tune elevation and skew/tile and touch up azimuth till you get the best possible signal. Lock it down.

DirecTV users skip this line: DISH users DO a CHECK SWITCH.

Job done.

To disconnect:

Slide switch to A: DirecTV users reset.

Disconnect and stow portable antenna

Drive into the clear and if you use an In-Motion dome Dish users do check switch, Else dish users do Check Switch once parked again in the clear.

NOTE: Dish users have to do Check switch EVERY TIME they set up.

Direc Users do RESET every time they change antennas.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #27

My brother-in-law set our tv up so if we have to use portable dish, we just undo cable to box and reconnect another cable that he clearly marked to back of cable box. Very simple, both cables are in cabinet and since we are not savvy to this kind of stuff, if we can do it, anyone can with proper setup. He does installation for Direct TV so he was a big help in getting this all setup.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a mounted dish and generator and both as portables are on the "I wanna" list in addition to a cell phone booster.

VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite