Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
Short of running cable in through a window to the main unit how may I connect to the box as the cable TV hook up works,can I use a splitter ? any help would be appreciated.

Flyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
Short of running cable in through a window to the main unit how may I connect to the box as the cable TV hook up works,can I use a splitter ? any help would be appreciated.

Flyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
Guy, been there done that. Here what you need to do;
1)On your switch box, undo the cable that comes in from your cable connection.
2)Connect that into the "SAT IN" connector.
3)Connect "TO TV" to the in side of the cable box.
4)Connect you DISH cable to where you would connect to local cable services.

This will allow you to switch between SAT. and your local tv ant. Also, remember this, the switch box must be after the SAT receiver. The switch box will cause to much signal loss if the switch box is before the SAT receiver.

If you want to put a second SAT receiver in the bed room, and have a dual LMB, this is what I did and do;
1)Disconnect the cable that should be labeld "output to rear TV" (something like that).
2)Connect a butt connector to it, and leave in your cabinet, till needed.
3)I run the second cable through the rubber gaskets on my front side,(I only have one slide, and it's in the front).
4)I connect the second cable to the butt connector that is in the cabinet.

If you have a slide in your bed room, (especially the slide where your TV is), pull the rubber seal away from your slide side, so you can feed the second cable through there. Push enough throuh for it to connect to the second receiver. Adjust the rubber so the cable will not allow water to come in when it rains, mostly the cable would come straight down and out from the bottom of the seal. This will keep the wife somewhat happy, (no we feet). If you can do this, then don't worry about the switch box for the bed room TV.

Trust me about the switch box after the receiver, I have over 30 years in electronics, with high power transmitters, crypto equipment and over 20 years as a computer engineer.

Good luck, let us know if it works for you.
2008 36'QSH Phaeton

360HP Cummings
jcrowder47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 AM   #4
Flyerfan, welcome to irv2.com.

If you want to connect satellite AND cable, you need a diplexer outside the RV going into your cable hook up. A diplexer will combine the signals from cable and satellite so you can run them through the same cable in the RV. Another diplexer inside will re-split the signal so you can connect them to their respective inputs on the distribution box. I have seen diplexers for around $15-20 at home improvement stores.

If you want to run you want to run 2 satellite signals through the same cable (such as would be required to receive different channels on 2 receivers at the same time or which would be required to watch one channel and record another on a DVR) you would need a stacker/destacker. These are a bit more expensive.

An internet search for diplexer and stacker/destacker will give you more information and additional sources.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:36 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Flyerfan, welcome to iRV2.

You are getting some good replies I see.

As was posted, there are special devices available to do what you want to do.

Conventional splitters will not work with satellite systems.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:53 AM   #6
I would LOVE to be able to do this set up but have a major problem.....Newmar takes ALL the slack from the zillion wires going to and from the switchbox and stuffs them into the front cap and somehow attaches them so there is ZERO slack to the switchbox. I am absolutely unable to access the rear...any suggestions for the Newmar situation??? thanks

2006 Mountain Aire 43 and 05 Honda Pilot
Air Force One..Real Whirlpool Fridge !
3 sugar gliders, long hair daschund and short hair wife for security
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote