Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #1

Portable Waste Tanks

Anyone have any experience with them? Iím looking at Barker 42 gal vs Thetford 35 gal so far.

Thanks in advance for comments.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #2

purchased a blue boy two years ago, as of yet haven't had to use it but is is there if I need it. I guess one of these days I need to rough it, just so I can check it out.

Neko & Nilla
rbracing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #3

The bigger it is, the heaver it will be. Hope you have a good back.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I do not have one but my brother-in-law does. They camp a lot in State parks, National Parks, Corp of Engineer etc that dont usually have sewer. His is about a 40 gallon type that is fairly easy to use. The handle fits over his ball hitch on his toad. The tank has a automatic cut-off that prevents accidents. If you boon dock for extended periods or use campgrounds such as they use, it is a very handy item and not difficult to deal with. Beats having to unhook and find a dump station. I theink he got it at Camping World, dont know the brand name.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Mine is a Barker, works well. nice to dump tanks without breaking camp. wish i had gotten larger one so the tank could b emptied quicker. takes three trips. new ones have internal storage for hose so you dont have to carry in a bag. overall a good investment. we summer camp for several weeks at a time.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
paz

We had a large blue boy years ago. As someone else said, the bigger they are, the heavier they are. A full 35-gallon tank will weigh almost 300 pounds, and a 42-gallon tank will weigh almost 350.

The big ones are nice (especially if you can tow it) because you will need to make fewer trips to the dump station. However, they are practically useless on some unpaved campground roads. I had one split open on a rough road once. Not a pretty sight.

We now have a 12 gallon blue boy. It is a lot easier to manage than the bigger tanks, especially if you have to pull it by hand. It also takes less space to store. I keep it out of sight above supports for the propane tank on our motorhome.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #7

We have the Thetford 35. Only have used it a couple of times summer before last...works great. I tow it behind the Jeep(slowly, I've heard of people towing too fast and melting the wheel centers) and would recommend nothing smaller. Do not wait until the auto shutoff stops the flow. As I remember, doing that is messy when you disconnect the cart from the RV... it doesn't take long to fill it either. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tntp,
I boondock all winter long and I have a 25 gallon portable tank. Like the other Posters say, the larger the heavier. It also breaks down to how much grey water you use., and how far you have to go to dump the tank. Also how are you going to transport the tank, I mount mine on the rear ladder of my MH. For the wife and I, we dump the black tank once a week, which does not fill up the 25 gallon tank. Along with the black I dump the grey which makes it almost two tanks on my Monday. On my friday I dump the grey again which may take two tanks or so. I don't mind the extra grey because it helps clean the tank. Hopes this gives you an idea of usage.

LEMO
Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEMO View Post
Tntp,
I boondock all winter long and I have a 25 gallon portable tank. Like the other Posters say, the larger the heavier. It also breaks down to how much grey water you use., and how far you have to go to dump the tank. Also how are you going to transport the tank, I mount mine on the rear ladder of my MH. For the wife and I, we dump the black tank once a week, which does not fill up the 25 gallon tank. Along with the black I dump the grey which makes it almost two tanks on my Monday. On my friday I dump the grey again which may take two tanks or so. I don't mind the extra grey because it helps clean the tank. Hopes this gives you an idea of usage.

LEMO

The best part of your post is the indication of having a steady plan of attack for the dissemination of your waste.

I too have a regular dump schedule, and find that a 15 gallon modified syrup container is suitable enough to maintain a once a week black water dump run for myself (single). Otherwise I'd have to manhandle my 32 gallon blueboy which is fine if I must but not preferable.

Sunday is my day for my chore and is accomplished with the use of a masticating pump to the tank in the pickup bed, and emptying is is done through a short 3/4 inch hose. I find the hoses easier to use over the usual 3 inch slinky.

But again, IMHO, a regular schedule is the key to ease of chore.

Ed
Old 12-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #10

I just recently bought the 35 gal thetford from camping world. I have only used it once as a trial here at the house. Emptied both gray and black water tanks into it, and rolled it over to my home septic tank clean out and emptied it. Probably only had 15 gals in it, and did find it very hard to maneuver across my yard. In fact 35 gals might of not been possible to get across my yard.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
definately not something designed to roll across a lawn. the wheels are skimpy and thin. very easy to dump at dumping stn., i found. hook on hose and tip up. saw someone that had modified wheels to pneumatic, that might help you. easier to use if you can tow with vehicle for sure.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #12

I have the 27 gallon Thetford for two reasons. Even the 35 gallon would still require two trips to empty my black tank and second, I transport my Thetford in the bed of my truck between the B&W hitch and the tailgate. Anything taller would be a bit too close to my 5'er.