Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #1

Possible Bee Problem

In the past couple of days there has been a lot of bees flying around my rig and getting in the power vent and getting into the rig some how. I am thinking they are coming thru the refrigerator vent on the roof and out the opening under it. How does the vent cover come off, and anyone know how to get them out if they are in there?

Joe

pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #2

Be careful you may have a hive in the vent. Don't want to fall off roof trying to get away from them.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get a smoker first. Then go on the roof and keep smoke around the vent cover before removing it. That will keep the bees at bay. Long sleves and hat helps.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First, are they bees or yellow jackets? Big difference.

Honey bee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yellow jacket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most likely they're yellow jackets. Honey bees nest with a queen and there will be thousands. Yellow jackets with new hives have a smaller nest.

Working on the premise that you have yellow jackets, watch the activity carefully. See exactly where they are getting in. If it's in multiple locations you may be parked over a ground nest and they are simply looking for a way in. It is possible, though unlikely, that you have multiple nesting queens in several locations.

Fortunately, unless the activity has been going on for a long time unnoticed, the nests are probably pretty small and will be easy to eradicate. Open up the space if you can in order to see what you're dealing with. If you're worried about stings, wear clothing that's heavy fabric but loose on the skin. Tape up the ankles of your pants and cover up everything you can. You may want to contact a local beekeeping club to see if someone will help or at least loan you a veil, coat, and gauntlets (gloves). A smoker would be nice, but unless the nest is very well established probably not necessary.

When you find the nest hit it with a foaming spray as hard as you can then walk a long ways away while it works. Watch the activity and, when it calms down a bit, go back and hit it again. Again, unless the nest(s) are very large, one or two hits will probably do it. Give it an hour and go back and remove the nest. I'd use a long screwdriver or putty knife to break up the nest before reaching in with a gloved hand...just in case!

I've killed a lot of wasp nests exactly this way. Unless they're really large they're pretty easy to eradicate. Once they're gone, take a close look at the openings to see if you can fashion a screen of some sort to prevent a reoccurrence.

Good luck!
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #5

I believe they are honey bees, they are not aggressive, yellow jackets are usually very aggressive. I have caught the ones in the rig and haven't been stung. We have been sitting here for several weeks and the bee problem just started the last couple of days. I took the refrigerator vent off the side yesterday, can't hear any buzzing. So thinking maybe they are just attracted to something on the rig, I noticed yesterday, they seem to like the white roof of the rig.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have read that some bees like the smell of propane. Check your furnace, water heater, and fridge propane areas if they are propane.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #7

This is a common problem if a rig has been parked in a state of non use for a while. When I first bought my rig it had been parked in a field for about 2 years. When I bought my rig, I had bee nests everywhere. In the vents, in the furnace, in the fridge vent you name. The furnace was easy. I just turned up the heat and it cooked those guys. I used WD 40 on all the vents. Good thing is you can keep the screens between them and you while you exterminate. WD 40 great bug killer. Never had a problem since.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #8

The frig roof vent has a screen in it to prevent bugs/bees/birds from entering, or should have one. The frig rain guard usually removes with two screws-covered with sealant which must be removed to see them. Once the rain guard is removed the screen is on the chimney, if it is torn or missing, a replacement may be fabricated easily.
The air intake vent (at bottom of frig) for the frig has no screen because it restricts air flow.
Congratulations, you'll master that too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Many years ago I had a big nest of bees in the overhang on my house over the front porch. I drilled holes thru to the overhang and used many cans of bug spray to no avail. then I talked to a contractor friend of mine and he told me exactly how to get rid of them.
He brought me some chlordane dust. Told me to watch to see exactly where they were going in. I took a ladder and went up there at night with the chlordane and a plastic spoon. Flicked the dust into and around the hole. They were gone the next day. Never saw them again.
Chlordane was banned back in the 80s and is no longer available, but 'Seven 5% dust' works almost as well. Over the years I have had many yellow jacket nests in my yard, in my shrubbery and one big nest in the eves of my house. I just watch where they are going in and hit that area (at night) and they are never to be seen again. My neighbor has run over a number of the ground bees nests (yellow jackets) with his mower, so he gets out the seven and hits them at night. He used to pour gas down the hole and light it but I talked him out of that as that really pollutes the ground water etc.
PS Seven dust is safe even to use on vegetables.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:15 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a serious problem in the US with bees and a virus they is killing them in large numbers. If you recall from your high school days we depend on bees to pollinate our fruit and vegetable crops so killing them is not a good idea.

If indeed you have bees and not yellow jackets then try contacting a local bee keeper. In most cases they will be happy to remove the bees at no cost to you.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We recently looked at a townhouse to buy and upon inspection, the back porch wall had an active bee hive in it...they estimated it to be at least 6' x 6'. Bug guy told us it would cost $250 to kill them, but we wanted a bee keeper to come out and remove them...contacted two bee keepers...$1500 each one quoted us...yikes! Unfortunately we didn't get the property and the party that did buy it had one heck of a mess on their hands....and I'm sure drywall/brick tasting honey!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The vent cover comes off with a screwdriver.

IF you think bees are nesting therein.. Suggest hiring a beekeeper to do the job.. Avoid pain that way.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #13

Thanks for all the suggestions, temps have dropped down to 30's and I haven't seen anymore. Think they were just looking for a home. Will take the vent cover off this weekend and check.

Joe