Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Possible change over to LED lights

I have a 2006 Monaco Monarch 30 PPD and I am thinking of changing overhead interior lighting from the standard bulbs to newer LED types. My question is which are the best LED's for this application and the best place to purchase the new LED's? Thanks for any and all advise. John

catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by catonine View Post
I have a 2006 Monaco Monarch 30 PPD and I am thinking of changing overhead interior lighting from the standard bulbs to newer LED types. My question is which are the best LED's for this application and the best place to purchase the new LED's? Thanks for any and all advise. John
you don't say what type of lighting you have presently.
my moho has fluorescents fixtures in the ceiling and over the kitchen sink.
i installed a led kit in the fixture over the sink about a year ago and am happy with the way it works. it is from jirah pn jc-18-fl-t, $45.
the new pn is jc-42...

welcome to jclampstand.com!

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:37 AM   #3
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
http://www.superbrightleds.com/ best quality and support...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
We converted all of ours to LED. They produce almost no heat, which is what we like and use less elect. They put off a little different kind of light, but it was easy to get used to. We got all of ours off E-Bay and they came out of China. Get the ones that say Xenon, as they are a little whiter and brighter. I compared the ones we got against the ones you find at Camping World and defy you to tell the difference other than the package they come in and a huge price difference.
And YES we know we should buy American, but when the price difference is over $20.00 per bulb, what would you do?
R & E
No RV at the moment
OSP1268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #5
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smile LED Light upgrade

We purchased ours from Super Bright LED. ( see previous post) and were more than happy with the service. They had the best price and the delivery time was fantastic. Call them and they will recommend the best light for certain areas of your RV. This was one of the best upgrades we have carried out on the RV.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for replies. DanL the lights in question (ceiling lights only) are the standard dual lights with the 1141 bulbs. These are the only ones I am thinking of doing at this time. If I like the LED type then I might do the rest. Was mostly trying to get a little brighter light in the ceiling. Thanks John 2006 Monarch SE 30PPD
Old 10-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
I purchased these 8 White T10 BA9S 48 LED SMD Dome Panel Lamp Light Bulb | eBay . They are out of Hong Kong. It took about 2 weeks for the product to arrive and I am very happy with them. These are bright white, not the normal yellow color that the 1141 bulb gives off so if you like the yellow color you need to search their store for a different color output. I do not believe these come with the proper base for the 1141 socket but it would be easy enough to use your current bulbs base to solder the wires from the new LED. They may also have LED units with the proper base, just search their store.

I agree about buying American.... but I believe that 99% of the LED replacements that are sold in the USA are actually made in Hong Kong, China or other areas outside the USA.
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
i replaced every flourecent light with one starlight in each fixture. same amount of light,no inverter problems(each tube fixture converts 12volt to 110 to light the tubes). all the bays have the 48 led squares previously described. the puck lights that come with the finger burning halogen bulbs are now leds. the only light that was a challenge was the 30 inch fixture over the sink JIRAH to the rescue 1- 18" & 1 -12" together.
woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I got all my Leds from rvledbulbs.com. They are offering a 15% discount promotion - enter code AC15 at check-out.

The carry the top-end Revoluton bulbs, one of the best on the market. I even repalced my fluorescents with Leds!
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We haven't replaced the flourescents (they use little enough energy that we couldn't make it pencil out) but all the wedge base halogens we replaced with warm whites, both from superbrightled and rvledbulbs.

The replacement LED bulbs we got for our 2 remaining 1141 fixtures (off ebay) were total disasters- just junk.

But for the wedge bases, we're happy with the color, delighted with the power consumption and thrilled with the lack of heat.
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the information, all of you. I will more than likely try some, at least maybe in bedroom. If the amount and quality of light are what I am looking form then I will invest in the others. Since each fixture contains two bulbs, the cost to replace them all is a consideration, especially if after purchase I do not like them. I like the low or very little heat output and amp draw of the LED's. So, now to order enough for bedroom and see how that works for me. Again thanks to all. I will buy American if at all possible even if cost is a little more than the ones from China.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
iRV2 No Limits Club
My wife absolutely hates the light given off by the LED bulbs, even the so called "warm white" ones. I replaced one of four in a light over the dinning table and my wife noticed it immediately! Now trying to find a way to use the $25 bulb outside.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
Just changed out all 23 G4 Halogen 10watt bulbs. I went on Ebay and found the replacements with no polarity, Buy Now, free shipping for $2.08 each! I'll be ordering the other bulbs soon the same way. I intend to change out all the inside and outside bulbs eventually. Also the dash lights, makes a difference.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a couple of Revolution 200 lumen (1156 replacement) that we like very well, and got a couple of 1383 replacements (A1141 3w single LED White) that work well. Both were from Kinzer Enterprises in Pensacola FL. I got a G4 LED last week at Lowes for 1/2 the price I had paid a year ago from an RV light guy. And Lowes had several other type 12v LED bulbs.

Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote