Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2018, 06:56 PM   #1

Possible terminus bar leak.

2003 Dutch Star. Still have a leaky roof. (2 inches in a five gallon bucket from about an inch of rain) Just had the roof caulked by local shop. Originally I thought roof was leaking through ac. Had both ac's resealed and recaulked. Still the roof is leaking...bad. Today we found a paper thin opening on the outside edge of the terminus bar.(Which was not re caulked) Can this be the intrusion point for that much water. I thought there was butal tape to prevent leaks from happening.

Called newmar and asked them what would be the best caulk to use on the terminus bars. At first CS said dicor. Then I told them it had silicone caulk, then he back tracked his story and insisted on silicone because dicor would run down the side of the MH. I have seen several re caulks on youtube using dicor . What say you.

Any other thoughts on where to where leaks coming from?

Plan on re caulking myself. Shop wants another $800 to re caulk terminus bar around the entire MH.

Lastly do any of you have any suggestions on the easy way to get rid of the old silicone caulk?
Thanks
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
DJJ

Google Sealtech machine, some Camping Worlds have them, though CW would not be my first choice. CW only charged me an hour of labor to check my coach for leaks.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Much more years ahead of you with a 2015 be we had a leak around the AC. Repair person in Mayo, FL, (twice) then one in Kissimmee, FL. Finally Master Tech RC in Elkhart, IN. First one put calking under the neoprene gasket. it melted. One took the AC off and found that the gasket was only a little bit on the edge of the opening and re-seated the gasket and AC. Still leaked but not as much as yours is.

We have 3 AC's so finally in Elkhart we had all three gaskets replaced. No need for calking. The technician stated that when he was climbing up the ladder and his head cleared the edge he saw a gap under the seal big enough to slide a ruler under. Anyhow, he replaced the gaskets and cinched up the roof to the AC and we have been in some heavy rains since and all is well.

Silicone does not stick to some materials but with the proper AC gasket I don't believe you have to calk. However times are different since 2003.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #4

Wayne thanks so much with your reply. I was not clear as what was caulked. The bolts to the ac were caulked, and everything else up on the roof. The gasket was not.

I was very disappointed after having all the sealing work done and it was still leaking.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #5

Silicone is absolutely the worst substance to use on the exterior of an RV.

They make a Dicor that is not self leveling and works like a regular caulk. also there are many other options other than silicone. Proflex is one of them.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #6

Could someone explain what the "terminus bar" is? Google & Bing both failed me.

Has anyone used VHB tape as a sealant & with what results?
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post

Beyond terminus being "the end", I don't have a clue either, but I wasn't gonna admit to it.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post

Terminus bar is a flat bar (kind of) that is used to finish off/connect the edges of the roofing material to the coach with the use of screws.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Silicone is absolutely the worst substance to use on the exterior of an RV.

They make a Dicor that is not self leveling and works like a regular caulk. also there are many other options other than silicone. Proflex is one of them.
This is what I have been told by everyone except newmar. If I seal with dicor I will have to remove all silicone which is very time consuming, Plus it will expose the mh to the elements.

I have thought about and have seen eternabond tape for sealing off the terminus bar. If I use eternabond tape I would not have to remove the silicone,
Old 09-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
Google Sealtech machine, some Camping Worlds have them, though CW would not be my first choice. CW only charged me an hour of labor to check my coach for leaks.

Jeff
WOw this looks like what I need. Did know there was such a thing. Thanks
Old 09-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
This is what I have been told by everyone except newmar. If I seal with dicor I will have to remove all silicone which is very time consuming, Plus it will expose the mh to the elements.

I have thought about and have seen eternabond tape for sealing off the terminus bar. If I use eternabond tape I would not have to remove the silicone,
You have to remove all the silicone regardless. NOTHING sticks to silicone including silicone and eternabond.

If someone tells you they can use silicone and not have to remove it you need to find another place to do the work.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
In my previous life I did yacht service for a manufacturer. Most of the hatches installed by the factory, leaked soon or later. They were all seated with bead of silicone. My solution was to remove the whole frame, scrape the silicone, and install with rope caulk ribbon. It fills any gaps and will not allow water in.
Name:   5208DD0D-F7A1-4B87-A80E-31AE35971189-397-0000001FDA3FEBA3.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  14.4 KB
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #13

I prefer Dicor butyl tape. Its stickier than rope caulk. Ive been meaning to try it to see how it was against silicone but haven't tried it yet.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:11 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used the Ertnabond tape on my roof almost 1 1/2 years ago as preventative maintenance and it really sticks and when covering silicone areas no water will get past it.

It was well worth the expense of doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Time for preventative roof maintenance the lower side sealant was so minimal I deceided to use Ertrnabond tape there and on as many of the seams as possible
If you click the gray arrow it will take you to the write up and a few pictures.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak