Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #15

I use Equal and it does a good job. There should be four parts with an Equal "kit." There is a bag of beads and the size of bag depends on the size of the tire. The original valve stem should be replaced with a valve stem with a screen to prevent the beads getting in the valve and causing a leak. A yellow band should be placed around the valve stem to alert tire workers that the tire contains beads. And the kit comes with a new valve cap that is suppose to seal better than standard caps.

So when you install Equal make sure you get all four parts for each tire - Equal beads, valve stem with screen, yellow band and new valve cap.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The new valve stems needed came in the package </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do they have long valve stems available? I don't use extensions, but have long metal valve stems that make it very easy to check pressures & add air.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #17

Interesting subject. I wonder if marbles or BBs or lead shot would work? Golf balls?????
What is the physical principal here anyway? It seems to me that if you have a heavy place in your wheel, then the centrifugal force would be more in that area and tend to attract more weight to that point, which would do the opposite of what was wanted. I have seen some circular tube devices filled with some material mounted on a disk that you were supposed to bolt on behind your car wheels, which is the same idea, so I guess there is something to it. It just doesn't seem logical.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #18
ET

Camping World did 6 new tires for me using beads back in Dec 06. So far we've driven around 8,000 miles with no issues and hardly ever needing to add air. The only thing I would mention is if you really want to be super safe use filtered dry air, (inline air filter/moisture filter,) to prevent any possible clumping of the beads/powder since condensation is prevalent while filling and/or bleeding the tires. You can purchase a small filter that does both for a few bucks and install a quick disconnect to plug into your air compressor.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #19

Hi All. Very interesting info ! Has anyone heard/known of 2 situations?
1: Using nitrogen instead of air in the tires w/ powder?
2: Using a "fix-a-flat" type sealer, or "Slime" w/ powder/beads in the tires?
Thanx, waiting for any/all actual knowlege replies. Please, no "I think" replies. Robbie

'06 AWD Saturn Vue-toad
riggarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #20

1. Costco put Nitrogen in my XRV Michelins when they installed them. I supplied the Equal powder and they put it in at the same time. Have enjoyed both for over 2K miles this summer.
2. I think the "Slime" would cause the powder to clump up and destroy the balance.
Jerry
Old 07-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #21
ET

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by riggarob:
Hi All. Very interesting info ! Has anyone heard/known of 2 situations?
1: Using nitrogen instead of air in the tires w/ powder?
2: Using a "fix-a-flat" type sealer, or "Slime" w/ powder/beads in the tires?
Thanx, waiting for any/all actual knowlege replies. Please, no "I think" replies. Robbie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Consumers report did a review on Nitrogen for car tires back in October of 07 if you want to view it and make your own determinations on it. Those pressures were at 30 psi though.

Fix-a flat type sealer has been around for a long time and overall didn't have the best reviews from what I can remember. They use to state that it alone would act as a balancer but I can recall back in the late 70's a product called Stop-A-Flat tire sealant that looked like pepto bismol and caused more balance problems by drying out in clumps.

I would stick with the basics such as equal/beads and/or nitrogen if you prefer.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Using nitrogen instead of air in the tires w/ powder? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I presume the argument in favor of nitrogen contends that nitrogen won't have water in it that might make the power clump? If that is the "reason," you can get the same result by using an air compressor with a water filter/dryer on it like the onboard compressor on most diesel pushers.

The only solid conclusion I have seen in extensive nitrogen vs air (which is already apx 80% nitrogen) arguments is that using nitrogen will make your wallet thinner while making the wallet of the guy who sells nitrogen thicker.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner

I agree AFChap!

Dieselclacker
Old 07-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Using nitrogen instead of air in the tires w/ powder? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I presume the argument in favor of nitrogen contends that nitrogen won't have water in it that might make the power clump? If that is the "reason," you can get the same result by using an air compressor with a water filter/dryer on it like the onboard compressor on most diesel pushers.

The only solid conclusion I have seen in extensive nitrogen vs air (which is already apx 80% nitrogen) arguments is that using nitrogen will make your wallet thinner while making the wallet of the guy who sells nitrogen thicker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
"I Think" if that's OK, that the water introduced in the inflation process is a moot point as the waterbased bead lubricant is slopped around on the rims and the tires in such quantity that much of it inevitably ends up in the assembled tire and rim.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:07 AM   #25

WE have the Equal Balance powder in all 6 tires and use strictly nitrogen. After 25,000 miles and 2.5 years we have perfect balance and no pressure loss.

The question of nitrogen is too often confused with car tires where the benefits are questionable. We all have truck type tires on our motorhomes and run 3 to 4 times the pressure. Biggest benefits of nitrogen are better fuel ecomony through consistent optimum tire pressure and tire life which helps us keept the tires longer and reduce the threat of blow out through tire fatigue.

Read the research facts for yourself:
http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/Nitrogen%20Tire%20Inflat...the%20Big%20Rigs.pdf

K & G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #26

When I saw the URL, I knew what the outcome was going to be. I've studied this issue to DEATH, and have tried nitrogen. I still see no need for it. Robbie

'06 AWD Saturn Vue-toad
riggarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">WE have the Equal Balance powder in all 6 tires and use strictly nitrogen. After 25,000 miles and 2.5 years we have perfect balance and no pressure loss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I DON'T have Equal in my tires, and I DON'T use nitrogen. After 46,240 miles I too have perfect balance and no pressure loss.

When it gets hot in the Spring I let a little air out of my tires due to the higher temps. When it gets cold in the Fall, I add a little air to my tires -- from the on board compressor that has an air dryer, so no moisture in the air. And I manually check the tire pressures daily when traveling with a tire gauge ... that little bit of air to activate the gauge has resulted in NO pressure loss.

The URL talked about wearing tires down to the wear indicators ...are any of us going to do that?? Four of my tires will be 7 years old next February, and they have no weather checking and look virtually new. I plan to replace them in December.

What more could I expect if I had gone through the hassle and expense of inflating, and making the annual seasonal adjustments, with 100% Nitrogen vs the 80% Nitrogen my tires currently have in them?