Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When traveling down a highway, I frequently get a knocking noise on the curb side wall of the coach. This noise intensifies in windy conditions. I have traced the noise to my A&E WeatherPro Power awning. The awning arms appear to get knocked around in the wind, creating a knocking noise that sounds like someone is knocking on the door.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, have you found a fix? It's driving me crazy!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #2

I bought a canister of the large black tie straps. One on the bottom, one in the middle and the third as high as I could reach on each rail. Eliminated the rattle. Just snip with cutters when you are ready to use the awning

Old 10-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

Close the awning.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Don
Old 10-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #4

Our closed power awning bounces around with wind gust on passenger side gets over about 30 mph. Drives my wife crazy, so I plan on adding some large wire ties to my tool box.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
somewhere there is a thread about this and something about awning locks was mentioned. Might search for that.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I sent an email off to Dometic (makers of A&E awnings) the same time I posted my original question. They replied back that this is not normal, and that I should have my awning inspected by an authorized dealer.

Craig

Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #7

Rather than tie wires, find Velcro straps like used to hold cables. Think of the strap around a laptop power pack. You can find them at Radio Shack. Doesn't "fix" the problem, but does stop the knocking until you do.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds to me like the awning needs to be tightened up on the spring return - one turn.

I'm with Craig - not normal.

My patio awning is 20+ feet long and does not make any sounds, and the door awning is 6+/- feet long and doesn't make a sound. Both are A&E.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation UPDATE

The noise I am experiencing is coming from the very bottom of the awning arms, where they rest against the awning frame that is mounted to the sidewalls of the motorhome. If I pull on the bottom of the awning arm, I call easily pull it out 1 inches. According to Dometic, this shouldn’t be possible. After several months, several calls to Dometic and two visits to two different RV dealers, I finally fixed the problem myself.

The first Dometic rep I spoke to told me to take the RV to an authorized Dometic awning dealer. I did, and the dealer had no idea how to fix the issue. I called Dometic back and the second rep suggested I order a bushing kit from them, that was designed for this issue. I received a small bag of plastic bushings with no installation instructions whatsoever. I had no idea where they were suppose to go, so I called Dometic again. A different rep told me the bushings would not help my issue at all, and had no idea why the second rep sent them to me. She suggested I take the coach to a different dealer and gave me the name of one close to home. The owner of this shop said he had never heard of this issue and the only fix he could think of was the replace the gas struts that are located within the awning arms. I wasn’t crazy about this idea for one simple reason: these same struts collapse to drain rainwater when the awning is left open in the rain. It takes a great deal of water weight to collapse the struts as is, so I don’t want anything stiffer.

Frustrated with the suggestions of the “experts”, I went to Lowe’s and bought the below rubber cushions. I bought two different type. I experimented with the two in different locations and they seem to work best in the location shown in the photos. The two cushions rest against each other when the awning is closed. No more awning arm knocking while traveling.

I thought I would pass this along in case someone else suffers with this same irritating noise.

Craig