Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-02-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
Power converters

I am looking for info on powering my internal 12 lights, fans etc with something else than my house batteries. Are any manufacturers using converters to transform 120 volts AC to 12 v DC? Tks

G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 10:40 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What RV do you have? Common is to have as standard equipment already is a converter/charger that charges the batteries and provides 12vdc for lighting and such.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
Everyone of them
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
The NRC that I have uses the Magnum inverter to charge the house batteries and does not have a converter like "everyone else" has. Maybe someone would like to help me out and tell me whose converter they have in their motorhome. Tks
Old 02-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #5
Commercial Member
Some confusion here. The charger side of your Inverter is the same as a Converter only. To prove this, just disconnect your battery cable and you will still have lights.
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your Magnum is a combination inverter and converter/charger. Somewhere there may be a production RV that does not have a 120v-->12v converter (pop-ups and truck campers excepted), but they gotta be rare indeed.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
Originally Posted by G Shaw View Post
I am looking for info on powering my internal 12 lights, fans etc with something else than my house batteries. Are any manufacturers using converters to transform 120 volts AC to 12 v DC? Tks
For starters, it would be nice to know a bit more about the coach, year/make/model/engine etc. You see, much of that information will tell many on here what is most likely ALREADY installed in/on your particular coach. And, armed with that kind of info, more accurate answers could be given.

Basically, most (but not all) Diesel coaches are equipped with either INVERTERS or, INVERTER/CHARGERS. Those have already been explained on how they work

Most gas coaches however, are equipped with a CONVERTER OR, CONVERTER/CHARGER of some type and size. A quick trip through your OWNERS MANUAL will or should reveal, what unit you have and, its total function within the operations of the coach.

The "Converter" changes 110VAC to 12VDC and, as stated, will or can, also charge the house battery(ies) while providing the coach with full 12v.

Now, to purchase a coach, especially one that's been made in the last 20 years, WITHOUT a converter or, converter/charger (if it's a gas coach) is for the most part, unheard of. Now, I for sure, am no expert on every coach made, big, small, in between, Class C-A-B , Diesel-pusher-puller etc. I'm going by experience only on many that I've either owned or worked on.

My '89 Ultra Class C Ford, 27', was equipped with a converter charger. My last coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the V-10, also had a converter/charger. Our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, came equipped from the factory with a Dimensions 2000 watt Inverter/charger that has since been replaced by the Magnum 2012ME Inverter/Charger.

So, unless you've got something built in Russia or, from Mars, I'd just about bet you've got some sort of Converter or, Converter/charger on board already.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:35 PM   #8
If you're plugged into 120 then your convertor will produce 12v for whatever you have that uses it. It will also charge your batteries. Maybe what you are asking is how do you charge your batteries when you are dry camping. A generator would do that. Progressive Dynamics would be my recommendation for a convertor to replace yours if it has failed.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #9
You know, I didn't think about the inverter/charger being used as a 12 volt supply(converter). Thanks for all your positive help and consider this question answered.
BTW this coach was built in Elkhart Indiana not Mars or some other place.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #10
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by G Shaw View Post
Such devices are built into most every RV worthy of the name, I have had a couple of very old, very small trailers that did NOT come with them but anything over 19 feet shold already have a converter, this is the device that charges your batteries, AND runs all your 13.6 volt stuff.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE, then you have options.
Pure power converter, not a battery charger or converter/charger

First determine your power needs, A 1141 lamp is about 1.6 amps, a 1156 2.2 amps. Go to a lamp web site and add em up,

For small numbers (IE: 7 amps) Radio Shack, while it lasts, has some nice regulated supplies, They are in bankruptcy and it appars will not survive so you should see some nice fire sale prices sooner or later.

Larger numbers:
Progressie Dynamics makes converters and converter/chargers and at least one line (9100) that is upgradable.

I would recommend the 9100 line, Something like a 9140,9160 or 9180 (Depends on how much battery you can carry) anything in that range.

By itself it is a single stage converter, it will power your 12 volt stuff all day (or night) with no issues, but if you would also like it to charge your batteries.. Well no problem, about another 25 bucks gets you the CHARGE WIZARD, I will give you the instructions for installing.

Remove screw
Remove dummy plug
plug in wizard (Like a telephone modular plug with an anchor screw)
Replace screw

This converts the 9100 into a 9200+ dongle which is, as far as I am concerned, the very best converter/charger (There are others that are close enough to not argue the point but this is the one I like best)

how to choose the last two digits.

Add up your batteries amp hour (c/20) ratings and multiply by 0.3 (30%)

Group 24: about 75 each
Group 27, About 95-100
Group 29, 100-105
Group 31, 125-130
GC-2 (six volt golf car you use two in series) 215-230 per pair

My Rig came with one pair, plus a group 78 Starting battery (Think Group 24) and a Progressive Dynamics 9180+wizard.

Batteries made it to 9 years before replacement. (with occsional watering of the GC-2 pair)

TS-2000 (Very sensitive radio receiver) can not tell if it is operating off pure battery power, Pure converter power or both together, Some folks complain that the Progressive Dynamics converters are noisy (electronically) casing radio interference, I see no evidence of that in my rig, noise floor does not change when I disable it.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote

converter, power