Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Power Gear Jacks think Parking brake is off

The parking brake brake is on and working fine but my jacks are useless because Powergear thinks it's not engaged. Anybody have any suggestions? Surely my perfectly good leveling system doesn't have to be completely useless because of some electrical glitch. Checked all fuses under dash and they are all good. Power Gear doesn't take calls from owners, just dealers.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry! Have you checked their website for any info? Do you have electric jacks?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Are they electric or hydraulic?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They are electronicaly controlled , semi automatic hydaulic jacks (Powergear)

I checked their website and my problem was not in their FAQ . It could be the control panel itself but that's only a guess and they won't sell it to me nor tell me how to order it. When you call Powergear, the very friendly (un) recording immediately says, "If you're an RV owner, hang up and call your dealer" How's that for customer service?
Denver, Colorado
Old 06-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Again, have you checked their website? As lousy as their product is they have a decent technical help area.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
The parking brake brake is on and working fine but my jacks are useless because Powergear thinks it's not engaged. Anybody have any suggestions? Surely my perfectly good leveling system doesn't have to be completely useless because of some electrical glitch. Checked all fuses under dash and they are all good. Power Gear doesn't take calls from owners, just dealers.
if your pb is foot operated and is similar to mine, there is a flimsy white plastic parking brake switch on the mechanism under the dash. mine is on the inboard side of the mechanism track. it is supposed to be adjustable. the wire connector kept falling off of mine. this switch has to be in the circuit for my jacks to operate. the transmission must be in park also.
i found that by putting my foot on the pedal prior to releasing the pb so that it doesn't release with a jarring bang, my pb switch works fairly well.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take a look at the parking brake pedal arm.. For the record I have a Workhorse with a pedal and will describe it

On the bracket is a pin-switch, this switch has TWO tabs where wires connect..

I found one wire.... Not connected.. It had a matching size connector (They are smaller than the standard Tab/Flag) and when I plugged it in.. Things worked better.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine has the yellow button parking brake. It's called autopark . It's electricaly operated but looks like an air brake switch.
Denver, Colorado
Old 06-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Mine has the yellow button parking brake. It's called autopark . It's electricaly operated but looks like an air brake switch.
there is a lot of info on this forum in the archives about the 2 auto-parking brake systems. there is some info in the workhorse chassis manual.
old used bear is the resident expert. send him an email or pm.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max, have you tried searching the Powergear tech documents? If you choose "Technical Documents" from this link Power Gear , then click the Damon button and the Powergear level system button, you get a whole list of manuals and tech tip documents to look over, including one that addresses Damon parking brake wiring.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Wilanddij,

I've been to the Power Gear site but didn't find all that information. That should be helpful.

"Mode: Panel Communication Error
Indication:
The following LEDs are blinking together: On/Off, Jacks Down & Park Brake
Cause:
Poor connection between components or faulty component
Fix:
Check to make sure that all connections are tight and properly connected. Cycle power to reset. If that
does not work, try replacing components individually, starting with the wire harness, then the touch
pad, and lastly the control"

Does any one know what the 'control' is?
Denver, Colorado
Old 06-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is there a "master lock" for the jacks. I pulled my hair out one day trying to figure why the jacks would not go down. My DW pointed to the lock and said, "Could that be it?"

Duh!!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote