Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #1

Power Gear Leveling System Documentation

We just purchased a 2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master unit but did not receive the documentation for the Power Gear Leveling System. Researching for this information I visited the Power Gear Web Site (www.powergearus.com) to search for the manual, but there is no link to provide for a manual anyplace....even under the Technical Documents section. The part number on the control panel shows 140-1179. The conrol panel is silver in color and shows front, rear, left rear, right rear.
Searching other models of the powergear leveling systems, some of the manuals state that once the unit is level, the powergear logo will light up..
but I do not know if this is actually the case. When I called the phone number @ powergear, I get an automated message that states that as of July 2009, powergear no longer supports "end users" and will automatically hang up. So I can not even get to a rep to ask for the documentation. So my question is 2 fold...
1. Does anyone have experience with this system
2. Can I "upgrade" to an automatic leveling system by replacing the control pad?
Thanks in advance for any an all responses.
lgshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a link to the same unit on a Monaco Coach.

http://www.powergearus.com/technicaldocuments

I do believe that it is possible to upgrade, but I can only assume that it would be expensive. I have the 3 point system on my Safari Cheetah.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry link does not work, you can go back to power gear and look further down the page on the right side and check power levelers and then click on Monaco and it will bring it up for you.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
this should work. Power Gear
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #5

Jim...Thank You for the response.

When you state that it might be expensive, during my reserach I ran across another controller panel for powergear with automatic leveling that costs about $410.xx

This is not that expensive to me for an automated system that will level the coach.

In my experience in other systems (not RV's for sure), most manufacturers include the automated system but not the controller in order to not have to manuacture multiple systems due to addtional costs of manufacturing different system for multiple RV units.

I am only assumming that the "bubble" in in the contoller unit for the automated leveling system and that the only thing that would be required would be to change out the control uint up front...but I cannot be sure.

I would prefer to have the documentation on the powergear unit to confirm my suspicions but have been uable to obtain any documentations or specfications for the existing system.

My frustration is that I am unable to contact the manufacturer to get any documentation or techincal informatrion on the system.

By my assumtion, the system is a 4 point system with the front jacks being stationary and the rear jacks being independenly adjustable by the Right rear / Left Rear by the controls.

The questions are.

1. Will the (powergear) symbol light up when the coach is level.
2. Will the coach stay level during an extended stay?
Old 12-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
On most if not all Class "A" the 4 jack systems operate left front and rear together, right front and rear together, front together and rear together. On three point systems they operate, front, rear together, right rear and left rear. Do you have 3 or 4 jacks?

My manual system does not light up when level. It does hold level on firm ground for extended periods.

I have had both 4 jack auto and 3 jack manual. I prefer 3 jack manual. I believe that they are less likely to torque the frame and crack windshields.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
This is what I use to level.

RV EZ Level - Item - Camping World

On a 3 point manual system, you lower the front jack until it contacts the ground. Then you lower both rear jacks (rear jack button) until both contact the ground. Then adjust front, left rear and right rear to achieve level. The above device makes it simple and very accurate.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #8

Jim,

Again, Thank you for your reply.

As being new to the RV community and the RV world...I cannot answer your questions actually at this point. The only thing I know at this point is that the PowerGear system displays
1. Front
2. Rear
3. Left Rear
4. Right Rear

So I do not know if it is a 3 point or a 4 point.

I can only assume that what I would do is to

1. Lower the unit as is recomended.
2. Press the Front jacks until they contact the ground (and can feel it)
3. Then press the Rear jackes until they contact the ground (and can feel it)
4. Adjust the Left and Right rear until all things are level per a level in the center of the unit?

I can only assume this is the process since I cannot get documentation on the system...
Old 12-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
From what you have described as your button choices, you have a 3 point.

How you described doing it is accurate. You can also raise the front more if needed to get it level, just don't raise front or rear so high that the wheels are off the ground. Also dump you air first using the dump button. It makes the steps lower and gives you more range to level with the jacks.

Use the level either toward the front or rear, if you use the middle it tends to be the pivot point and is a little less accurate. The level I provided a link for is cool and very sensitive.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Try this link for the manuals

http://www.powergearus.com/documents...456_500535.pdf

In reading this, you could have a 4 jack system. This should help you by identifying your key pad.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #11

Thank Y'all for resonding

I had alredy reveiwed the hotlink that was referred to in the previous response...however as being close...it does not replicate or show the touchpad that is installed in the 2006 model (even though powergear shows the models being differnt)...the model number on the touchpad shows bein 140-1179 and no documentation shows being available.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also could not find your control panel part number 140-179.

You have 4 point jacks. Posted below is a copy that another member posted on how the system work.

I thought I had answered this one already.

The two front jacks are connected together. They form a single "pivot" point located 1/2 way between them

SO you put your front jacks down,, You put your rear jacks down.. Now you extend ONE rear jack to level.. As that jack extends the Front jack on that side will extend a bit and the front jack on the other side will retract.. This may cause you to "nose down" a bit (just extend the front jacks a bit more to make up for it)

IT's that simple.. Though you have four jacks, and thus you have the strength of a 4 jack system where the jacks are bolted to the strongest parts of your chassis (The frame rails)

It acts and works like a 3-jack system. In my not very humble opinion that is a very good design..

Now, I have heard of a few companies that have a true 4-jack system.. I've also heard of either wiring errors or computer software errors that extended the RightFront and the Left Rear.. MAJOR problem.. Power gear very simply can not do that. Impossible for that to happen

THereis one "However" though

If the front jacks are FULLY extended.. Then the blanacing act won't work. (Applies to all 4 jack systems I might add) there has to be room for it to wiggle.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
On most if not all Class "A" the 4 jack systems operate left front and rear together, right front and rear together, front together and rear together.
There are some systems that work that way, but it is inaccurate to claim that "most if not all" Class A 4 jack systems do so. Not even all Power Gear systems work that way - some of them have free-floating front jacks and only the rears are used to adjust side-to-side trim. There are just too many different designs to try to generalize how they all work.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
leveling 4 PT system

In automatic, when level, the lOGO will come on. In manual, I go by the buble level and turn it off.