Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #1

Power Gear pump gear.

Well I took my power gear pump apart today because it was not working. Buttons all worked. Made noise like it was working but jacks were going down. Long story short pump gears were broke. Anyone know we're to get parts power gear tells me to buy whole new pump/motor complete assymbly for $1200. Only thing wrong is 1 of the 2 gears. There has to be parts available somewere. Ok M sure km not the only one who's had this problem. I can make them but figured I'd look into it before I pull the plug. [ moderator edit]
Zonecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 03:39 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
PM sent.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:06 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have the gear. Sent a second PM.
US Navy Vet.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #4

There is a bonr yard in missouri that deals with parts for m h. Google r v parts in missouri .
Randy
acehatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:49 PM   #5

Thanks Bruce for the gear. Was really great talking to you this morning. My wife ,kids and I really appreciate someone coming forward and getting us the part. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
Have the gear. Sent a second PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For those that have had this problem with the star like gear breaking and when your told a new pump is needed [$500-$1200] the solution may be what we are trying. First off I replaced my pump for the levelers and found that one gear failed. For some reason saved the old pump. It has two gears both the same inside which are held onto the shaft by two snap rings, one above and one below the gear with a locking ball that locks the gear to the shaft to prevent slippage of the gear. I sent the gear to Zonecone for him to try. The good gear will be removed and used to replace the broken gear. If all works as hoped he will have the levelers fixed at zero cost. My advise is save the old parts if you can, perhaps you can help a fellow RVer.
US Navy Vet.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #7

Well Bruce. I put it all back together and installed it and still doesn't work. Ok im not sure if maybe I need to bleed the air out. I'm going to try to find a way to bleed air in the morning. Then if it still not working I will remove it all again and see what wrong now. I hope the new gear I got from you didn't break. I'll keep everyone posted in the next few days. Fleetwood did get back to me and said the pump is now available for $391 bucks. Not to bad but now I'm not sure what to do.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:51 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great price from Fleetwood. One question, did you put the locking bearing in the shaft and gear. It locks the gear to the shaft which allows the pump to build pressure. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:07 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just sitting here having coffee, and thinking. You don't need to bleed the system. It will take care of itself, just cycle jacks up and down several times, check fluid with jacks in the up position only. Do not add fluid and check with jacks down or you will have a mess on your hands when they come up because of over fill. Luck Shannon.
US Navy Vet.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #10

Ya I put it all back together right with the key lock in. Tryed to cycle it like normal. But still nothing. I'm wondering if the spacer plate between the pump may have been alittle on the rough side as in not the right enough pump tolerance to pump right. I haven't ripped back into it yet. Going to take a day off tomorrow and go ride my new motorcycle. Ktm 500 exc. She's been sitting for a couple months since IV been working on the mh. Need to clear my head alittle.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If your gear broke and pieces galled the other gears surface and the plates then the pump may be bypassing internally although you would still get some pressure and flow.

You may try removing the hose coming from the pump to the valve and see what flow you get with no restriction.

FWIW, I working in the mining industry and saw a lot of stuff happen. We had a hydraulic drill rig that had failed a pump, one of the gears went missing in action. We ultimately found it down stream in a diverter valve. Surprising the system still worked fairly well, only when the valve got stuck did we investigate the source of the gear.

Same thing might have happen to your, contamination down stream of the pump may have caused more problems. Gear pumps are fairly forgiving but valveing isn't. A piece of trash may be stuck in the main relief valve causing the whole system to bypass.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, power gear