Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Power Gear Slide Adjustment

My mission in life for the past 3 months has been to track down all and fix all of the potential water entry points in our new-to-us 2008 Gulf Stream 40UL Diesel pusher.

The front edge of the full-wall slide has been one of the most vexing items for me: when retracted, the entire slide was snug on the seals except for the front, bottom corner. The tip of the corner was about 1/2" from making contact with the seal and the gap tapers down to a proper fit over about 2 feet horizontally and 4 feet vertically.

Last weekend, we drove home from Grand Marais, Michigan, in an absolutely pounding rain. As in, 2 straight hours of fire-hose-level deluge. I'll simplify things by saying that a LOT of water came in through that seal gap at 55 mph in heavy rain...

It's been on my "fix list" for a while, but I'd run into two problems.

First, the quotes to have it fixed by our local RV center and a fairly nearby Camping World were between $400 and $1100. Second, everything I'd found about making the adjustment myself required the mythical and rare Power Gear Teach Pendant that costs about $600 through PPL and is a bear to find used.

Discouraged, I started digging for the schematics on the Teach Pendant, thinking that it's probably just a simple switch box with a basic circuit board that I might be able to build in a couple of hours and with a few cheap parts.

However, the fates smiled upon me and I found something even better: An old installation manual that contains INSTRUCTIONS FOR TEACHING THE SLIDE WITHOUT THE PENDANT! Hurrah!

It took about 10 minutes to re-teach the in and out points with my wife holding the reset buttons and plugging/unplugging the motor harnesses on the controller and my 9 year old son manning the slide control switch while I watched the alignment and positioning of the slide.

The FWS is now snug all the way around when both retracted and extended. As a huge bonus, the wind noise in the driver's seat is now 10% of what it was before the adjustment - what I assumed was the noise of a blunt-nosed bus pummeling the air was actually the air buffeting the gap in the slide seal!

Long way of saying that re-teaching the slide in and out positions WITHOUT the teach pendant is straight forward and can be done in a few minutes if you have a couple of button-jockey helpers.

The detailed instructions are on the left side of page 6 in the manual I linked to above, if you're inclined to do the same thing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's a good find for those Lippert Power Gear slides that use
Control #140-1175.

Billfish636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #3

Congratulations! I wish my continuing multi-year challenge to align my Lippert-Power Gear-Kwikee Digi-Sync slide went as well
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceNinja View Post

However, the fates smiled upon me and I found something even better: An old installation manual that contains INSTRUCTIONS FOR TEACHING THE SLIDE WITHOUT THE PENDANT! Hurrah!

It took about 10 minutes to re-teach the in and out points with my wife holding the reset buttons and plugging/unplugging the motor harnesses on the controller and my 9 year old son manning the slide control switch while I watched the alignment and positioning of the slide.

Long way of saying that re-teaching the slide in and out positions WITHOUT the teach pendant is straight forward and can be done in a few minutes if you have a couple of button-jockey helpers.

The detailed instructions are on the left side of page 6 in the manual I linked to above, if you're inclined to do the same thing.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Any chance someone has this information copied somewhere and could PM or post it? The link no longer works.

Thanks!
Chris
HoRotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRotica View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Any chance someone has this information copied somewhere and could PM or post it? The link no longer works.

Thanks!
Chris
More information would help us help you. PowerGear made a variety of slides. Year, make, and model of coach? PG model, if you know it?
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
More information would help us help you. PowerGear made a variety of slides. Year, make, and model of coach? PG model, if you know it?
Thanks for your inquiry. New to us 07 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40E. Drivers side parlor slide, not a whole wall. Slide is well behaved except it goes about 10" or so short of full extension. Will go to the same place every time. I haven't had the opportunity to have someone else run the slide while I hang out in the basement and see what I can see.

Dropped the coach off at the local tire shop getting new sneakers tomorrow. Ill harvest the PowerGear controller number once it comes back home.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-20-2024, 07:38 PM   #7

I snagged a pic of the PG unit, the one in that slide is not serviceable and it doesnt have the in or out limits. Its a Power Gear model 140-1213 Rev2.

Battery
Ground
Motor Red
Motor Black
Switch in
Switch out

I played around with the switch more and was able to get the slide to extend fully but the slide stopped several times from about 10" from full extension to full extension. I would have to let off the button and repress to get the slide going again. The coach was plugged into 50a shore power at the time.

The drivers side bedroom slide also wont travel full stroke without stopping several times, but that is generally during the retract, not extend function.

Are there some terminals or connections somewhere that I should be checking and cleaning?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-21-2024, 08:40 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks!
Chris
I have this...not sure if it is what you want. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Manual_Slide_Control_pg_82_S0379.pdf (322.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-21-2024, 09:17 AM   #9

Quote:

I played around with the switch more and was able to get the slide to extend fully but the slide stopped several times from about 10" from full extension to full extension. I would have to let off the button and repress to get the slide going again. The coach was plugged into 50a shore power at the time.

The drivers side bedroom slide also wont travel full stroke without stopping several times, but that is generally during the retract, not extend function.

Are there some terminals or connections somewhere that I should be checking and cleaning?

Thanks,
Chris

This issue sounds like a 12 volt self resetting circuit breaker , tripping and resetting .

What year is your coach ? and do you have any circuit breakers close to the batteries that look like the picture below ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cb flat mount.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	414854  
Old 03-21-2024, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKimball View Post
I have this...not sure if it is what you want. Good luck.
Excellent information and thank you, Rich. As an aside, I graduated high school with a gentleman named Rick Kimball in SE PA nearly 40 years ago...

Thanks again,
Chris
Old 03-21-2024, 07:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
This issue sounds like a 12 volt self resetting circuit breaker , tripping and resetting .

What year is your coach ? and do you have any circuit breakers close to the batteries that look like the picture below ?
Skip,

My coach is an 07. I will be sure to look around for those circuit breakers and will have someone run the slide while I have my hand on them to see if I can feel them ticking when the room stops.

Thanks,
Chris

Tags
power, power gear, slide