Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #1

Talking Power Issues

2003 Itasca Horizon.
Looking for information regarding the inverter circuits. With the coach plugged into 50 amp shore power, I am having power shutdown issues with 110vac circuits that seem to be associated with the inverter. The coach air conditioner doesn't shut down but things like the outdoor entertainment center and other outlets seem to lose power and cycle on and off. Even the fridge cycles between electrical and LP and indicates ''low ac'''. This goes on for a while and then acts like it resets and acts normal for a while. Then the process begins again.

Do the circuits associated with the inverter have power limits even when connected to shore power? It seems like when the hair dryer is running, televisions are on, a 10 lamp outdoor lighting string is on, the coach just loses or has reduced power. This does not appear to be an issue when the coach is on generator power but I have not confirmed this 100%.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
First, if you haven't done it already, you need to invest in a Progressive Industries EMS HW-50C unit.

EMS-HW50C

You can Google or Bing for some really good prices but the lowest I have seen them is on RVupgrades.com for $333.

This unit will CONSTANTLY evaluate the quality of your shore power and with shut off power to your coach and appliances when the power exceeds the normal operating specifications for low and high voltage, low and high Hz, loss of ground or neutral. It also has 3580 Joules of Surge protection.

I think most of your problems are most likely coming from the shore power supply. Especially since all is well on generator power but currently you have no way of knowing that specifically.

If you had the HW-50C, it would give you codes to tell you exactly what is wrong with your incoming power supply.

BTW, you had posted this in a very inconspicuous location to get any useful information. In the future, scroll through the categories and choose one that best fits the problem that you are having and submit your post there.

I came across this SOLELY and by accident when clicking on "unanswered post". It doesn't belong in the category - Forum Issues.

Just a heads up!

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 07-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #3

I am having a helluva time trying to figure out this site. Have not been able to find the area to actually post for maximum viewing/response .
Old 07-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Another thought, Bill.

All 120 VAC power passes through your inverter even though it is not inverting at the time. Your charging section of the Inverter/Charger is working OK, correct? Your House Batteries are being kept fully charged, correct?

It is possible that your inverter section is having a problem passing the 120 VAC through without difficulty. I am just guessing.

I do not understand your statement regarding the fridge. Usually the fridge is NOT on an inverter outlet. It's that way for a purpose. When you disconnect shore power the fridge will know that there is no shore power or generator power and it will then switch over to LPG mode. If it was on an inverter outlet, and the inverter is switched on, it would not see the power loss and would not switch over to LPG.

I think we need to hear more specific symptoms and situations regarding this problem.

Low voltage supply doesn't sound good and it isn't good for the A/C's either.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill6525 View Post

I am having a helluva time trying to figure out this site. Have not been able to find the area to actually post for maximum viewing/response .
Bill,

The moderators have already switched it to a different category. They are on top of it.

It is now under MH - General Discussions & Problems.

Just take your time and you'll figure it out eventually.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
power