Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
After all the mechanics that have looked at my rig, I am still having power loss. The wild thing was, driving to Albuquerque, it happened ALL DAY the first day - even dying going up Raton pass. It usually just loses power - doesn't completely die - but it died this time.

The second day - NOT A PROBLEM - which is what happens everytime I take it to a mechanic. It NEVER ACTS UP. I'm starting to think there's a ghost in my rig.

It's never consistent - sometimes I lose power but still have RPM's when I push the gas. Other times, I have no power and no RPM's. Sometimes if I take my foot off the gas and then push it hard a few times, it'll come back to life. Other times, it's pull off the road, turn it off, and crank it again.

It's scary, going through this, on the road alone, I gotta tell you. I'm at my wits end. The mechanic here wrapped a fuel line to keep it from getting overheated . . . that's the only fix he could thing of - that it might be a vapor lock.

I have no idea what else to do. It's been to so many mechanics in so many places . . . and they just scratch their head!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #2

After all the mechanics that have looked at my rig, I am still having power loss. The wild thing was, driving to Albuquerque, it happened ALL DAY the first day - even dying going up Raton pass. It usually just loses power - doesn't completely die - but it died this time.

The second day - NOT A PROBLEM - which is what happens everytime I take it to a mechanic. It NEVER ACTS UP. I'm starting to think there's a ghost in my rig.

It's never consistent - sometimes I lose power but still have RPM's when I push the gas. Other times, I have no power and no RPM's. Sometimes if I take my foot off the gas and then push it hard a few times, it'll come back to life. Other times, it's pull off the road, turn it off, and crank it again.

It's scary, going through this, on the road alone, I gotta tell you. I'm at my wits end. The mechanic here wrapped a fuel line to keep it from getting overheated . . . that's the only fix he could thing of - that it might be a vapor lock.

I have no idea what else to do. It's been to so many mechanics in so many places . . . and they just scratch their head!!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
paz

It's hard to diagnose problems long distance, but here are a few of my thoughts.

Has anyone checked your fuel filter? or fuel pump? or fuel lines? Fuel starvation is frequently aggravated by long climbs and you say it happened going over Raton Pass. Most of your fuel line should be metal; but if there are any flexible sections, older rubber fuel lines can also sometimes collapse and cause fuel starvation, then open back up and everything seems normal for a while.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
As stated above, fuel supply sounds as if it could be the culprit, fuel filter is good place to start, then I would have the electric fuel pump checked. Fuel pump could have bad electrical connection or pressure regulator, or just plane be failing.
Also a severely clogged air filter could cause similar symptoms, It would be worth checking, but with a Banks kit the supplied free flow air filter takes a lot to become clogged enough to effect performance.

I am surprised that a mechanic has not jumped on these types of items right off the bat!

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a sock filter in the gas tank on the fuel pickup. If there is dirt in the tank it can cloge this filter when the engine is running and when you shut it off the dirt falls away. When you restart it it will run untill it stops up again. If all else fails look at this.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
I sort of have to agree with speed racer - fuel starvation. Have a PSD in an F-250. Fuel filter clogged and it would cut off or starve out. Could knock it out of gear and rev the engine and it would rev up, but in was not pulling. New filter and runs like it is new.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #7

3 words . . . fuel pump relay.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #8

Is the engine on your Suncruiser Ford or GM?

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:42 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Other ideas: If you have a MASS it maybe time to clean it. PEP Boys and others sell a spray cleaner. Also if you have an Allison transmission you might want to check the manual. They have a "Fail Safe" protective mode that might be contributing to your symptoms.
Good Luck
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #10

Sometimes if I take my foot off the gas and then push it hard a few times, it'll come back to life.

Could be a failing TPS (throttle position sensor/switch)

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #11

Whoa! My gosh! I'm writing down all this to take to the mechanics with me.

To answer some questions - it has a new fuel filter, the O2 sensors were replaced in May of last year, the Mass Air Flow thingie was cleaned and replaced in May, it's had diagnostics run on it and the fuel pump didn't show up on any diagnostic.

As far as the other stuff, I'll let you know after ANOTHER mechanic looks at it. I definitely do not want to go back on the road until this problem is solved - too scary to relive!

Thanks to all of you -

The appt. is for Nov. 4th, so if you think of any other things it could be, send them on and I'll add them to the list . . . .

GM
Old 10-22-2008, 10:46 PM   #12

I had this same problem on my '85 454 Pace. After many months of searching, replacing vacuum tubes, filters, carb rebuilds,..... It turns out that there was a microscopic crack in the rigid fuel line heading to the engine that wasn't leaking, it was sucking..air.

The mechanic had it for literally weeks and almost gave up till he was under it and got a light and view at just the right angle and saw slight debris on the threaded coupler at the end of the 1/2" steel pipe. It was a $2 part that cost hundreds to finally find it.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
My hunch is that you're experiencing fuel starvation. Usually, it's the filter, but anything in the fuel supply between the tank and the engine could be the culprit (fuel pump, pinched fuel line, etc).

FYI, I couldn't help notice your screen name as I'm sometimes called Gracie's Dad.
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #14

I have an appointment with a mechanic recommended by a local RV dealer on Monday.

Friday, I cranked up to take it across the street to get gas. It was FINE driving it 14 miles up the road to dump the tanks on Thursday, but it stopped giving me power crossing a major intersection Friday. Freaked me out. I push in the pedal, it makes a noise like it's TRYING to go, but no RPMS and no speed.

I'm taking all of your suggestions with me on Monday and I'm staying there with him while he checks everything out. I'm terrified because I'm female and you know how mechanics are with females . . . but I refused to get ripped off!!

Thanks everyone! Will report in here when they're done looking it over . . . .