Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #1

Power outage/animal protection

I've searched far and wide but can't find where this was asked and answered so I'll ask: We are heading to Scottsdale in two weeks. We want to leave our two dogs in the RV while we go out to dinner one night. I was told the temp drops to 90ish. We will be leaving the AC on. My concern is what if there's a power outage at the park and my AC goes off? How common is it for the power to go out at these parks, especially in the summer with everyone's AC running? Even if I exercise the obvious precautions by leaving all windows open and roof vents, 90 plus temps will still turn that unit into an oven, not to mention with everything open, it would seem likely the single AC unit in my 2015 View would not be able to compete with the outside temps.

I can certainly touch base with my neighbors at the park who could phone me if there's an outage, I will probably be no more than a 10-15 minute car ride away from the park so I could get back in a hurry. But, I've learned a few things in life...people get caught up in their own crisis and can easily forget to make that call and that could be tragic. I'm really new at this RV stuff so I've gotta tap into those of you who've been there-done that. Any ideas???

22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #2

There is only one resolve for this need.... Pet Sitter. You will never have any single best backout plan if you are asking about how to care for a family member in an emergency than having a reasonable and insured person in the loop. I must admit that the pet sitter in this case is a best fit assurance.

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #3

If your "View" does not already have an Automatic Generator Start (AGS) I suggest you get one installed. There are several triggers that can be used to automatically start the generator in case of power outage.
We also have a dog and have the AGS to start the generator if power is out and the front thermostat calls for the A/C to come on. This has has recently happened when an electrician accidentally shut down a section of the park we were staying at.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a link to alternatives for remote notification in case temperature gets high

Leaving Your Pet in the RV (The $64,000 question)—Part I

We also travel with dogs, although my power management system did have automatic generator start it did not monitor temperature. I invested in a system for my Onan Generator that will start the generator if the power goes out and the temp in the RV gets too high. Not all generators have this capability but yours might.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are now some Security Companies who sell cellular based systems.. Most use Verizon which has the best coverage.. (But alas nobody has 100%)

These systems can detect all sorts of things (you tell 'em they wire it in) including loss of AC, or loss of A/C. and phone you with a pre-recorded "You have problems" message.

Of course this costs money, and assumes your phone and your RV both have cellular coverage.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #6

Onan EC-30W may be your answer. It will start your generator if house batteries get low or temperature gets too high/low when no shore power is available.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:10 PM   #7

Hi,
Check out Animalarm. It is made in England but has US distributors. Costs about $200. Apparently you set high and low temp range, and it calls you if range is exceeded. Requires an inexpensive chip and costs a dollar a day when in use, I think. Haven't gotten one yet, but am planning to.
Ellen
Old 06-10-2015, 12:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Here is a link to alternatives for remote notification in case temperature gets high

Leaving Your Pet in the RV (The $64,000 question)—Part I

We also travel with dogs, although my power management system did have automatic generator start it did not monitor temperature. I invested in a system for my Onan Generator that will start the generator if the power goes out and the temp in the RV gets too high. Not all generators have this capability but yours might.
Wow...Excellent info. I'm gonna be up late tonight doing research. Thank you...as well as Tivoli, Phays, wa8yxm, Selah and Gocoffeer for taking the time to respond...you guys are great!
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #9

Talk about a coincidence, DW and my self are sitting in the coach reading when the lights flickered and the generator started. Appears to have been just a momentary drop but enough that the AGS kicked in.
So, as I suggested earlier, the OP should really look into installing an AGS for there generator. Getting just a notification that the coach temp is hi doesn't help much if your on a four hour dolphin cruise.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As others have mentioned, a generator auto start is a good feature. I found one problem however with my Intellitec unit. It sends a short start signal to the generator and often it isn't long enough to fire the generator, especially if it hasn't been used recently. When an RV owner wants to start the generator, he/she holds the start button down until the generator fires up. My Intellitec unit does not. As an added safety measure, if I want the generator to be armed for auto start, I fire up the generator for a few minutes before leaving the coach. This way it is primed for the auto start trigger.

It's also a good idea to test the auto start feature at least once a year. I do this with a hair dryer aimed at the thermostat. This is how I found that I need to prime my generator.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:46 PM   #11

Donut Lover
As one to another, look at this option: Wireless Auto-Start for Onan Generators - EC-30W - PPL Motor Homes
I cannot vouch for it, but it looks interesting.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I can vouch for the EC-30W, we installed it into our Luxor. Very simple install on an Onan diesel. Unplug the main wire at genset and EC-30 bridges in between. Plug sensor into 120v plug and you can program for temperature hi/low, low battery, and I think some other menu item that memory ram has lost. Not cheap, in Canada it was about $600. It always started genset without a problem and could be used as a hand-held remote control.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #13
KC

This isn’t going to help you but one things I have been putting down on manufactures surveys is the ability to control some functions with in your rv with a smart phone. These thing might include, in side temp, turn on/off generator, turn on/off lights, open/close awning and even a camera for seeing what is going on in your RV

KC
Old 06-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
As others have mentioned, a generator auto start is a good feature. I found one problem however with my Intellitec unit. It sends a short start signal to the generator and often it isn't long enough to fire the generator, especially if it hasn't been used recently. When an RV owner wants to start the generator, he/she holds the start button down until the generator fires up. My Intellitec unit does not. As an added safety measure, if I want the generator to be armed for auto start, I fire up the generator for a few minutes before leaving the coach. This way it is primed for the auto start trigger.

It's also a good idea to test the auto start feature at least once a year. I do this with a hair dryer aimed at the thermostat. This is how I found that I need to prime my generator.

Craig
Great idea!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power