Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2006, 03:37 PM   #15

Appalachian Campers
I don't have slide outs, and I am not currently connected to my shore power.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Go to "find" above and type in "6 volt batteries" take off check mark. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:44 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Should be plenty of info just to make sure you have batts connected ok. If you have them correct you will have 12v no different than 12v with two 12v batteries.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you check your battery disconnect switches? You may have disconnected the chassis battery and need to connect it.
Also, Fleetwood had a problem with their switches, the solenoids didn't always re-energize. The connections to the solenoids may be on the firewall under the hood. There should be two of them connected to coach and chassis battery(s).
You can measure the input and output voltage to see if they are energized. If you have 12V or more to ground on each side of the battery cables, they are energized.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve, go to find again and type in "intellitec system" 32 matches, you may find what you need.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:20 PM   #20

Appalachian Campers
Thanks for the search tips 007. Found what I needed for the battery wiring. Still nothing real clear or concrete on the Intellitec. Guess I will have to take part of the day off tommorrow and call them to run me through a system check. Technology can be wonderful, but it can also be a serious pain in the backside.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:06 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Any time Steve good luck with intellitec. "007"
Old 04-05-2006, 12:43 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Steve, Try this link http://intellitec.com/PDF/5300066.100.pdf for the battery disconnect. If you will give us a model number of the 30 amp issue you are having trouble with I can give you the proper link for the schematic. Intellitec has about 50 different systems. If you can call them, have the mocel number ready and they can also give you the link to the system you have. Good luck.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #23

Appalachian Campers
Well life gets worse . I called Intellitec. Was quickly given the brush off that I would have to call Fleetwood since they were responsible for the unit installation and connections. So I called Tom Johnsons, the dealership where I bought the rig. Was able to get up with a service tech, and we went over all of the connections. I hooked everything up as he instructed me to. Now remember, the ONLY thing that was disconnected and reconnected were the 2 coach batteries, nothing else. There was one wire I was concerned as to wether it shuold hook to positive or negative. Went in andition,turned on the ignition, and the RV started up, no problem. Tried the jacks, and they worked no problem. Life was good problem solved. Yeah right!! .
I left the rig running, and operated the jacks a bit to be sure of no problems. I went inside the rig, and suddenly smelled wire burning. Smoke began coming out of the breaker panel under the refrigerator. Quickly shut down the 2 disconnect switches and turned the rig off. Pulled out the breaker panel to look behind. There is a bunch more "stuff" under there including the inverter etc. There was a cluster of about (6) 12 ga wires that go to a grounding terminal in there along with a whole lot of other stuff grounded there. This bundle was hot as fire.
Knowing that I had turned off the disconnects, (I did it again for good measure)I called my Tech at Tom Johnson again. While I was explaining to him what had just happened the rear furnace fan suddenly turned on. The Thermostat was, and is OFF. I hurried outside, and disconnected the wire I mentioned above as being in question, and the fan stopped. The tech decided that we had hooked a grond to a hot, so I should reconnect this to the ground side. I did that. Went into the rig, turned on both battery switches, turned the ignition, and nothing. I am right back to where I started. If I hook this wire up, I start the rig, and burn it down. If I leave it on ground, or disconnected, I have no ignition power.
Again. I have not changed any other wiring in or on any other part of the rig. I only disconnected 2 batteries, replaced them, and now all this. The tech is now stumped and can get me no further. He gave me Fleetwoods number to call also. I have now located a local certified RV technician, who will make "house calls". He is coming tomorrow. God knows what that is going to cost. Then I will get to go slug it out with the peolpe I have the extended service contract with to get repaid.
I am hearing from a lot of people that this kind of "weird" electrical problem is pretty typical of Southwinds. Ain't life grand.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Steve, so sorry to hear of the short circuit. When you replaced batteries I am sure you checked to be sure you either had 2 six volts or 2 twelve volt batteries and replaced with the same. IF not therein lies your problem. The wiring will be different so as to keep the system to 12 volts. Let us know what the tech finds to be the culprit. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:39 AM   #25

To, Steve;

Make sure you get PRE_APPROVAL, before doing any repairs that you expect to be covered by your extended warranty. This will probably mean 2 house calls by the tech, but from what I have learned, all extended warranty outfits ,, most,, require prior approval.

Hope this info usefull and good luck

Aime===== AJBJRVERS
Old 04-06-2006, 05:40 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry about your electrical problems.
If you replaced two 6 volt batteries with two 12 volt batteries by mistake and wired them the same way, you now have 24 volts, instead of 12 volts. I hope this is not the case.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:13 AM   #27

Appalachian Campers
Crash and burn. Man, did the tech at Tom Johnson give me bad advice. If people are unsure of things they should simply say hey I can't help you with that over the phone, I need to see it. When this tech told me to connect this wire from the Intelitech brekers to the hot post that is when the smoke began to roll. Now I find that it all was as simple as a bad relay in the intellitech. I find this out at the sacrifice of the board to my refrigerator, some of the wiring to my furnaces, probably burnt up the inverter, and that is just for starters. Hundreds and hundreds of dollars in damage due to bad advice. Have the rig driveable now, and am taking to this local techs shop tonight for assessment estimate and repairs. I WILL be setting in front of the manager at Tom Johnsons regarding this mess.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:58 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Steve, hopefully the tech will remember telling you this and own up the fact that he advised you to connect said wire to the positive side of the battery bank. Again hopefully the service department of Tom Johnson's will repair the damage done as a result and write it up under a service policy and use it as a learning tool not to give this kind of advice over the phone. Like they say, hind sight is 20/20. Good luck with this and keep us posted as to the outcome.