Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #29

Appalachian Campers
Unfortunatly this service tech is stating that he was simply tring to help out and that Tom Johnsons has no liability in this issue. The local certified RV tech that I found currently has my rig at his place and is going through it to assess the damages. He is going to work with me to see what we can do about filing the claim through my extended service contract. Meanwhile, I am crafting a careful account of the facts in a letter to Tom Johnson himself to see what response I get. If they are as honorable and reliable as they report themselves to be, I should hear back from him with an offer of some type of assistance. If not, the internet is a fast way for bad news to travel. I will give them the opportunity to correct the situation so far, but their service tech leaves a LOT to be desired. I'll keep everyone posted as to the progress and outcome.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #30

Appalachian Campers
$ 1,398.00 in damages. Sent a letter in a fax to the manager at Tom Johnson to get their official stand on the issue. Hope they will stand up to their reputation. In the mean time my technician is going to make contact with the insurance company tomorrow.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:48 AM   #31

I reread your posts and I'm a little confused.You admit you hate electric,didn't know the difference between a 6 and 12 volt battery,reconnected everything exactly the way it was but had a wire left over.Now you want someone else pay for your mistake.I had a customer who once said to me he figured out it was cheaper to hire me to do the work right than to fix his screwups.
BOB
Old 04-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #32

Appalachian Campers
Well BOB!! Just to fill you in on a little info to satisfy your attitude. I live 2 1/2 hrs from the dealership. The RV was dead. In English that means turny key no go go, understand. Think I'm gonna push a 35 footer that far? Tell me Bob, what do you think a tow charge that distance would be? And I did not say I had a wire left over. I had a wire that I was unsure wether I removed it from the pos or neg side. If your going to flame someone BOB at least get the facts straight. The only reason I say I hate electrical problems BOB is they are never as simple as a mechanical problem. So BOB I guess I'm not the all around Einstien that you appear to be.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #33

I guess I hit a nerve.After the free advice ended up not free you found a local R.V tech that makes house calls.Not sure where the wire came from is a wire left over.I find a digital picture before I disconnect makes a good reference when I try to remember where everything goes.
BOB
Old 04-12-2006, 12:46 AM   #34
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Bob, one reason for this forum, is so we can help each other. None of us are perfect and life is too short for much conflict. We appreciate any help any one can give but we do hope that on this website we can be differant than the others in the fact that we are friendly and do not personally attack others. Your mention of taking a digital photo of the battery wiring is a very good idea and I am sure some of us many take your advice in the future to do just that; Thank you.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:55 AM   #35

Appalachian Campers
Finally a little sunshine on this episode. The insurance company has approved the claim, parts are ordered and repairs are underway. A representative from Tom Johnson called me yesterday. They offered to, at a minimum, make the repairs at cost if I brought the rig to them. I felt this was a generous offer. Due to the insurance kicking in, I am going to let my local tech make the repairs, and save that 2 time 2 1/2 hour ride.
What has been learned here? Do not ask for nor give help out over the telephone when it involves systems that can be potentially damaged by a wrong answer, or misunderstanding.
Customer service means a lot. I work with customers in the commercial building industry evry day. The customer is always right. Sometimes this can cost you a bunch of money, even though the customer may be completely off base. But the cost of that dissatisfied customer, and the associated negative feedback that can be generated can cost far more in the long run.
In this case Tom Johnson has kept a happy customer, and it is not going to cost them anything other than the offer. I went that route because I was at first simply shut down and out by the original service tech. He needs to work on his customer service skills. However the management at Tom Johnson saw the implications and made a very generous offer. The people at Tom Johnson are still terriffic in my book, and I will recommend them to anyone and everyone.
Be cautious of what you ask, and what you do with that information. So we will be back out on the road in a couple of weeks, missing a few good campoing trips, but wiser in the long run. Life is good.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:20 AM   #36
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Steve, I am glad to hear that you are getting things resolved and that we are all made the wiser by you posting of this issue. Thank you.Good luck and enjoy the summer.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:41 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steve:

Good to hear that things are working out OK. I know your frustration level was quite high--many of us have been down that road. Have good, safe travels.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #38
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"machman 72", and "RV Wizard"....I agree that we need to be friendly and help out fellow RVer's on this website. "RV Wizard", I'm especially amazed by the way you handle threads and constantly produce some pretty accurate information. With that said, I think "bldrbob" brought up a good point, but could have done it with a little more sensitivity.

I'm a do-it-your-selfer and handle all of my own repairs. Occasionally, I may run into a repair where my diagnosis boils down to an electronic component that I'm willing to buy and hope that it resolves my problem because I don'thave the tools or skills to test the electronic component in question. I would rather replace the part then take it to someone for diagnosis. I do this within reason after I weigh the cost of the part versus a mechanic/technician repair. The point I'm trying to make is that I often will call a dealer or company and pick their brain to solve my problem so I can save money and inconvenience. They will usually tell you that without inspecting the problem they can only give you general ideas what to look for. I think "machman 72" causes more and more companies to refuse to do this due to liability issues. I hate to see that happen. The dealer tried to give free advice on the phone and is now being told they need to pay for a repair they didn't do.

I'm sure alot of readers will remember the days when you could call your doctor, describe your malady, and your the doctor would prescribe a prescription right over the phone. Liabilty issues killed that.

To take it to an extreme......what would happen if people were sued on this website for giving free information that was incorrect. I feel for "machman 72" and have done some similar things, but when you receive FREE HELP, you have to be willing to take a chance that it is not a guarunteed fix or could cause other problems.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:28 AM   #39
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Don, thank you for the cudos and I can't agree with you more about free advise. I try to find out one's abilities and if what needs to be do exceeds what I feel they are capable of I would recommend they have a qualified technician diagnose and repair the problem for them. You will find this especially true when it comes to LPG systems and any safety concerns. I hope all have a great summer of camping and touring this great country.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:50 AM   #40

Appalachian Campers
Whoa, whoa!! Back up Don. You need to re read my last post, regarding the dealer. I am not requiring them to do anything. I am satisfied with the offer only. I am not taking them up on it. I have expressed my gratitude to them over the phone, and in this post.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:50 AM   #41

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeT:

Also, Fleetwood had a problem with their switches, the solenoids didn't always re-energize. The connections to the solenoids may be on the firewall under the hood. There should be two of them connected to coach and chassis battery(s).

Mike hit it on the head---This was a common Fleetwood problem around 94-96. I used to carry a spare solenoid with me. Most of my Bounder Buddies did too.

When replacing the solenoid---buy the heavy duty model--Fleetwood used the light duty one.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:29 PM   #42
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
RV Wizard, Once again, that was a VERY tactful response. Keep up the good work!

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote