Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2006, 05:07 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
De- winterizing my rig, to go on the road next weekend, and running into numerous problems. Most I have fixed, but the 3 I cannot figure out, My leveling jacks will not deploy, and according to my "check" panel, my accessory battery switch is not shutting off when I press it off, and I have a problem with my turn signals. I downloaded a service manual from Intellitec, but it was for a 50 amp unit. Mine is 30. Other than that it appears the same. It appears that the refrigerator, rear heater, and leveling jacks all operate off of one circuit in the battery control. Well my fridge works, my rear heater fires, and I have display lights on my leveling control, but no function at all to the jacks. Need some suggestions.
On my "check" panel, if I have my main and auxillary batteries switched on, the display shows "good" for both. If I switch the main battery off, there is no longer a display. If I switch the auxillary off, the diplay remains, indicating it is not shut off. Any Ideas?
As to the turn signals, I had one of two left rear turn signal bulbs burnt out. I replaced it, and now the left turn blinks double fast, and the bulb I replaced does not work even though it has not re- blown. I had a right front turn signal bulb out also. I replaced it, and it works fine, but when I turn on the four way flashers, it does not light, nor does the light on the side mirror, yet both are fine on normal turn signal. Rig is a 94 Fleetwood Southwind with a Ford chassis. Help please. I hate electrical problems worse than a trip to the dentist.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2006, 05:07 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
De- winterizing my rig, to go on the road next weekend, and running into numerous problems. Most I have fixed, but the 3 I cannot figure out, My leveling jacks will not deploy, and according to my "check" panel, my accessory battery switch is not shutting off when I press it off, and I have a problem with my turn signals. I downloaded a service manual from Intellitec, but it was for a 50 amp unit. Mine is 30. Other than that it appears the same. It appears that the refrigerator, rear heater, and leveling jacks all operate off of one circuit in the battery control. Well my fridge works, my rear heater fires, and I have display lights on my leveling control, but no function at all to the jacks. Need some suggestions.
On my "check" panel, if I have my main and auxillary batteries switched on, the display shows "good" for both. If I switch the main battery off, there is no longer a display. If I switch the auxillary off, the diplay remains, indicating it is not shut off. Any Ideas?
As to the turn signals, I had one of two left rear turn signal bulbs burnt out. I replaced it, and now the left turn blinks double fast, and the bulb I replaced does not work even though it has not re- blown. I had a right front turn signal bulb out also. I replaced it, and it works fine, but when I turn on the four way flashers, it does not light, nor does the light on the side mirror, yet both are fine on normal turn signal. Rig is a 94 Fleetwood Southwind with a Ford chassis. Help please. I hate electrical problems worse than a trip to the dentist.

Old 04-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #3

To, Machman 22,

You've listed a number of electrical problems and it's better to isolate them as being unrelated, until you find base problem.

You state you are de-winterizing; were you plugged into shore power all winter and batteries fully charged??

If not fully charged, charge them slowly to full charge, this could effect jacks, what brand are the jacks??

Are all A/C circuit breakers on?? Have you checked all GFI's??

Check fluif in jack resevoir, if applicable.

Is refrige working on 12 or 110 volts??

Bulbs, remove every bulb and dry any condensation/moisture, could be causing shorts.

Also important, clean any corrision off all battery connections, remove to do thorough job.

Hope some of this info works for you.

Keep us posted.

Thanks=== Aime==== AJBJRVERS======
Old 04-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #4

Your light bulb problems for the most part sound like bad ground to me check and clean all grounding points at each light! That means taking the light housings off and cleaning the grounds not just the bulb prongs. This has happened to me before.

Your leveling jacks may need fluid or you may need to start your engine and let it run while trying to activate the jacks some RV,s seem to need the engine running.

I hope this helps.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:26 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Steve, for the leveling jacks; be sure that the parking brake is on. If you have HWH brand jacks the key will have to be on. Some other brands require the key to be off. There is two sources of power for the jacks. One is a light duty circuit for the controller and the other is a large circuit breaker that powers the motor. Make sure both are good. If the lights on the controller do not come on it is the smaller fuse most likely located in the chassis fuse boxes. If the controller lights up but the motor for the pump does not work it couuld be the large circuit breaker most likely located in an area near batteries or again on the firewall. If the breakers are good check all connections including grounds. Turn signals do sound like a ground issue also.
There are fuses on the side of the solenoids for the intellitec battery disconnects, be sure none of those are blown. Check all battery connections and battreies themselves for condition. GOod luck and keep us informed as to the progress.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:04 AM   #6

I will try to answer on the leveling jacks question first. I have HWH 200 series jacks which use the joysick controler. I checked every fuse within an inch of it's life. I found 2 things, and now they work fine. First, there was debris/trash inside and under the joystick, which apparently would not allow the stick to make contact when I moved it to activate the jacks. Second I found the connection in the same place as the debris/trash was not making good contact. I cleaned the connection and now everything is fine.
The signal light problem maybe a ground problem or a connection that has worked loose. Try to track the wires back from the light to a plug. I had this happen on a pickup before. The connection had worked loose, apparently from daily driving. The plug was not locked together.
Hope this helps...
Old 04-02-2006, 03:53 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
My jacks are HTW standard 6000 lb jacks. I checked the fluid. It was low so I topped it off. Still nothing. I checked the voltage on the batteries. 12 volts on main, 6 volts on one aux. and 5 on the other. The one with 5 is directly hooked to the pump relay. This might be the problem. I start the engine, and turn on the leveling system. The panel lights up, and I can hear the pump motor activating as I move the joystick around, so I know there is power there. Yet they do not deploy. Get a new battery? What do you all think? What do you think would happen if I disconnected the battery serving the solinoid, and hooked a jumper cables up to it? Just to check it. Bad idea? I'm thinking this is probably the problem with my generator also. It will not hit a lick. I had it running the other day , but now nothing at the dash switch, or the switch on the generator. All switches, breakers, and fuses are ok.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:05 PM   #8

When you say you can here the motor trying to operate, does the jacks down light & alarm sound?
Take the knobs off of the joysticks and remove the plate on the floor. There is a plug on the board where the joystick makes contact to activate the jacks. Check that connection and see if it is pushed all of the way on. If that is not the problem you can download the troubleshooting guide from HWH. Call them when you have time to go to the motorhome while you have the tech on the phone.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
No, the jacks down light does not come on. I have removed the plate from the floor and made sure the contacts are working and are clean. The 2 short levers deploy and retract the jacks. Nothing happens when I place them in the deploy position, yet I can move the large control joystick around, and that is when I hear the motor trying to work.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:45 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Steve, one thing to check it the manual release valves on the pump assembly. Make sure the "T" valve handles are fully tightened in a clockwise turn; verify resevoir is full & then retry.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:04 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Ok, gonna go the battery route. Does anyone else have a 3 battery set up? My 2 auxillary batteries are 6 volt deep cycle Golf Cart batteries. I pulled one and took it to a mechanic. He put a load on it and said it was dead. My little multimeter was saying it had 6 volts across it, so thinking it was a normal 12 volt, I figured it was bad. It's a 6 and it's still bad. Hopefully I will have my new ones tonight or tommorrow morning. I'll hook them up and let you know the outcome.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:15 PM   #12

Did you have the engine running when you attempted to deploy the jacks? Mine on our 99 Adventurer run off of the engine battery. I thought they were on the coach battery until I popped a fuse checking the jack solenoid. I found out they were wired through fuse 17 in the Ford panel.
Does your slide work?
Old 04-04-2006, 04:09 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!! I put 2 new auxillary batteries in and now the whole rig is dead. Does anyone know anything about these d&%$ed 30 amp Intellitec systems. Can only find a service manual for a 50 amp on the web site, and a few things look different. And none of it addresses having 2 6volt batteries rigged up to serve as the auxillary. I removed each battery one at a time, and was very careful to reconnect all wires the same way they came off. Why would the whole rig now be dead? I have 12 volt power to interior lights, but the dash and ignition are dead.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your auxillary batteries { house batteries} have nothing to do with dash or ignition they are on your chassis battery. If your rig is plugged in to 110v your converter would be supplying 12v to your lights in coach if house batteries are not connected correctly. Do you have slides in your coach please remove fuses for controls to slides or could result in more trouble for you. "007"

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote