Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #1

PowerGear Hydraulic Levelers

Am working on a 1999 34 ft SouthWind MH. Can't get hydraulic levelers to go down can't get control panel. To power up. Engine is running parking brake set and gearshift in park yet I show no brake set light in the dash. One of the harnesses going to the control module has a 12 Volt hot feed from ignition, there's three other leads one to the parking brake, the other two to a neutral safety switch. I am suspicious of the parking brake signal yet I do not know if it supposed be getting 12 V or a ground on that lead. As for the neutral safety I believe that's probably just a dry contact since used to leads for it
Anyone know what I'm supposed to have to have the permissive to turn on the system on those three safety input signal wires.??
ABorg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #2

Is it usual for you to have the engine running while you are putting down the jacks? My best guess on the parking brake is it provides a ground. Try running a jumper across the switch that will tell you if it's working or not.
jim27358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #3

I will be doing that once I get down to it under the dash, have to pull the captains chair out in order to get in there.!
Old 04-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #4

Instructions say to have key on engine running for deploying the jacks. I guess that's to ensure sufficient power for the hydraulic unit.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:24 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABorg13 View Post
Am working on a 1999 34 ft SouthWind MH. Can't get hydraulic levelers to go down can't get control panel. To power up. Engine is running parking brake set and gearshift in park yet I show no brake set light in the dash. One of the harnesses going to the control module has a 12 Volt hot feed from ignition, there's three other leads one to the parking brake, the other two to a neutral safety switch. I am suspicious of the parking brake signal yet I do not know if it supposed be getting 12 V or a ground on that lead. As for the neutral safety I believe that's probably just a dry contact since used to leads for it
Anyone know what I'm supposed to have to have the permissive to turn on the system on those three safety input signal wires.??
All you ever want to know power gear:
Post # 28 has links to all.....

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312011
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:26 PM   #6

Finally got the captains chair blocking access to the dash area and area underneath out-of-the-way.. On the six pin connector plug verified that we have 12 Volts with ignition on at pin 5. At present I'm going on my feeble memory, not looking at wiring diagrams I referred to while probing and testing. I was able to verify the diagrammatically correct points of connection for the neutral safety switch signal ; it went from an open circuit to a close circuit with the change and neutral or not neutral. Which I am not sure off the top my head it just changed that being the case it leaves me one other wire or this connector plug. have one of three possible conditions, switch changing positions to give 1 of 3 likely signals: : Open Circuit, 12 VOLt +, open circuit or ground.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:44 AM   #7

You might try calling PowerGear: 574 537-8900
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:48 AM   #8

This is marked as applying to 2002 and later controls, so may not apply to your installation.

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...g_82_E0029.pdf
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Does you control panel look like this?

I've only had my Southwind 35S a short time and I'm new to "leveler" stuff.

I've been working on my levelers, flushing the fluid, swapping the rear control valve plugs on the pump (they were backwards) and I need to replace o-rings in one of the jacks as its leaking a little.

On mine, I run the engine (not sure if I need to) mainly because of the large current draw the hydraulic pump places on the battery.

My control board is easy to get to, but I have a drivers door that I can open and reach right in to get to it.

If you need some voltage measurements on the control board, let me know.

I'll see if I can get a photo of the control board in the next few hours. I have a spare board that came with the MH. The Previous owner bought it to solve the problem they had. The "JACKS DOWN" light would not go out, even though the jacks were fully retracted.

The mechanic that worked on it didn't know the "JACKS DOWN" light is in reality a "FLUID LOW" light. I added fluid to the tank, and the light went out...

( The leaking jack is the reason why the fluid was low. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ControlPanel_10.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	157259  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a photo of my controller:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version