Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #1

Powergear Slide-Outs Won't Retract

Hi

It is freezing here.

We retracted our slides yestrday, moved 100 miles and put them out again.

This morning, they wont retract - it is still very cold.

Our mechanic states there is 12v power to the solenoids and relay.

The relay makes a long buzzing noise when the retract button is pressed, rather than a clicking noise.

He put a heater to the solenoids/relay and then the motor but still no good.

In the end, he cut the wires to each motor (bedroom and lounge) and wired the motor direct to the batteries and the slides came in.

Any ideas what is at fault please??

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ukrv,
If you eliminate a component from the circuit and the appliance works, the component must be the failure point. Based on the OP, the relay(s) need replacing.

Weather a coach is not used to can provide many unplanned adventures. Before replacing any parts, wait for the weather to return to what you usually use the coach in. Reconnect the relays. See if the slides work. If the slides work, then you know cold weather will be bad for your slides. Then it is your decision if/when to replace the relay(s).

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #3

I is the relay, or possibly poor wiring to the relay. If your tech did a good job of checking the power to the relay under load (when you are trying to retract the slide) then you have proper power to the relay. The reason I say power is that you need not just voltage but voltage under load. If your are sure the power is ok, I would buy a relay and put it in.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Answered in another forum.. The key phrase in the O/P's post ther was that his mechanic heard a buzzing sound from the relays/controller.

This should never happen in a DC system

I suspect a battery or disconnect issue and the converter is not robust enough to move the slides w/o battery assist.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrv View Post
Hi

It is freezing here.

We retracted our slides yestrday, moved 100 miles and put them out again.

This morning, they wont retract - it is still very cold.

Our mechanic states there is 12v power to the solenoids and relay.

The relay makes a long buzzing noise when the retract button is pressed, rather than a clicking noise.

He put a heater to the solenoids/relay and then the motor but still no good.

In the end, he cut the wires to each motor (bedroom and lounge) and wired the motor direct to the batteries and the slides came in.

Any ideas what is at fault please??

Thanks
Our slides wouldn't move a few times (I think they wouldn't go out once and wouldn't retract twice). There are 3 relays in our electrical bay - one for the slides, one for the steps, and one maybe for the awning(?). Anyway, I don't know which is which; but when the slides don't move, I just tap firmly on all of them with the handle of a screwdriver. Don't bash then, just tap firmly. This breaks the contacts loose, and we're good for a while until it happens again. If it ever starts happening with any kind of frequency, I'll replace the offending solenoid; but for now, I'll just reach for a screwdriver.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote