Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #1

Powergear strikes again!!

Just spent $250.00 to have emergency road service come to my Fleetwood Excusrsion equipped with Powergear leveling jacks. I spent an hour on the phone with Freightliner working through the diagnostics to get the levelers raised. We got three of them up but the forth failed to respond to the commands. When the mechanic arrived, he manually overrode the system and raised the last jack. His inspection of the jack showed no abnormalities of any kind. His diagnosis was a "computer glitch". From the forums I read there seems to be an undue amount of complaints and problems with the Powergear leveling system. Does anyone have any sugestions as to what can be done to bring Powergear to a more customer oriented/friendly position? They have no customer service department.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Well I suppose we could refuse to buy any coach that has power gear equipment on it but I doubt if that will work. You realize they won't sell us any parts either.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #3

You can rest assured that in the absence of a greatly changed attitude toward customer service that I for one, will never, ever again buy a coach equipped with Powergear levelers. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any fix for this product other than removing and replacing them with another brand.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Odd. I put 6 years and 65k miles on two Power Gear equipped coaches and never had the slightest problem. Maybe the newer models have fancier electronics? My coaches were a 1996 and 2002.

I now have Equalizer jacks.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a '97 coach with Power Gear (hydraulic) levelers and have never had a problem. The latest series of reported problems seems to be with the electric jacks.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I know $#!t from shinola about what brands of jacks are on what RV's, BUT I have a story, might help, might not- and I'm just going from memory here, so bear with me

Our '87 CruiseAir II has manually operated hyd. jacks. Don't know what brand. On vacation last year as we were leaving, the left rear jack wouldn't retract. The LED's on the control panel, which are green when fully retracted and red when down, showed all green even though the rear jack was still down. It WAS red when we parked...

I climbed under (is that an oxymoron?) the coach, and I found an electric wire at the jack, it was connected to a limit switch. The problem was simply the switch (if memory serves) was a simple spring loaded plunger type switch, and it was stuck "up", which is where the jack puts it when it's retracted. By just touching the wire at the switch, the wife told me the LED was flickering from red to green. NOTE that if it's GREEN, it won't retract because the control panel thinks it IS retracted. I was able to disassemble the switch, clean it up and lubed it a bit. It's worked perfectly ever since.

It wouldn't surprise me if that's the problem these Power Gears are having. For all I know, that's what's on our CruiseAir, but I don't know...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #7

Well, here I sit...AGAIN, dead in the water due to the RR Power Gear Electric Jack on my 2007 Fleetwood Excursion. I love the coach but the Power Gear Jacks are just pure EVIL. I've had the RR replaced by Fleetwood, I've had that replacement hang, went through the phone routine more times than I have time or space to discuss on this forum. One time when it "did it's thing" I was in Cheyenne, WY...I knew time was getting short and the snows would be coming in. The RV Repair place called power gear and let them know what was going on. Power gear said they would ship out a replacement control panel..."yeah...ah that's the problem...yeah, we'll send one immediately." Because we had family and friends there we agreed to wait, and...after the SECOND WEEK!!! the part arrived. I was watching as the tech unloaded my compartment and installed THE WRONG PART THAT POWER SENT! I said, "I can't wait any longer" and we headed south. I got to my dealer in NC and they were able to reset the jacks and they worked fine until we got on the road back to WY and my wife's HS reunion and well, you guessed it. The Power Gear must have know we were on a schedule and hung again...so here we sit, going on week two waiting for a "part". Frustrated? You're damned right I am!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe it's a certain model or type of jack that is having all the problems. Many have no problems at all with the Hydraulic Power Gear Jacks. You're scarring me

But that could be it.. You said electric jacks
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Bluehog,

Here's a link to a trouble shooting guide on the PowerGear electric levelers that you might want to print out and keep in the coach.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
You probably have the notorious Electric Power gear jacks. You should see all the comments on the fleetwood site. Me included.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluehog99 View Post
Well, here I sit...AGAIN, dead in the water due to the RR Power Gear Electric Jack on my 2007 Fleetwood Excursion. I love the coach but the Power Gear Jacks are just pure EVIL. I've had the RR replaced by Fleetwood, I've had that replacement hang, went through the phone routine more times than I have time or space to discuss on this forum. One time when it "did it's thing" I was in Cheyenne, WY...I knew time was getting short and the snows would be coming in. The RV Repair place called power gear and let them know what was going on. Power gear said they would ship out a replacement control panel..."yeah...ah that's the problem...yeah, we'll send one immediately." Because we had family and friends there we agreed to wait, and...after the SECOND WEEK!!! the part arrived. I was watching as the tech unloaded my compartment and installed THE WRONG PART THAT POWER SENT! I said, "I can't wait any longer" and we headed south. I got to my dealer in NC and they were able to reset the jacks and they worked fine until we got on the road back to WY and my wife's HS reunion and well, you guessed it. The Power Gear must have know we were on a schedule and hung again...so here we sit, going on week two waiting for a "part". Frustrated? You're damned right I am!
Bigbluehog99 - been there done that many time. I hear your frustration. What is the answer? For me its changing to a new system i.e HWH hydraulic jakcs
Here is a posting I made on another thread (ďPower gear jack problemsĒ)where I was told to stop bashing PG because the guy that ask me said his are working fine. Apparently he has also talk to many owners of PG jacks and they havenít had any problems?
Glad to hear you have solved all the problems with your PG jacks. Unfortunately my mechanic is not so lucky Ė they been working on it for the past 3 years. Luckily I have extended warranty that has covered the costs to date. By the time the warranty expires they will likely rack up enough warranty work on the PG system that would pay for a new HWH system. So far we are over $2,000 in warranty work and more to come. To me this was a waste of money.
Sorry for sounding like Iím bashing PG but when you dish out the money we paid for this rig you would expect better. Iím telling you how it is Ė very frustrating for me and the dealer I bought the rig from. Itís been 3 years now and these jacks still are not reliable. I know the manufacturer of the rig is part of the problem but once the warranty runs out they wash their hands from the problem. Every component in my PG system has been changed, boot with proper straps, wire harness, control pad, control box, several motors and brakes. All this work has been done by my RV mechanic. With the exception of this trip Iím currently on I have never touch any part of the PG system. Before I left the mechanic showed me how to lower and raise the jacks manually at the control box. We have done it once and thatís it. This process is how the mechanics test to see if the motors are working properly. This process of using the control box to apply power to the jacks has helped others who have been crawling underneath the rig to apply the power directly to the motors. Sorry for being so helpful. We currently are not even using the jacks Ė have to level the rig using blocks, very impressive for a Class A. Now Iím not a mechanic but when the owner and the mechanics of a major RV dealership are at wits end to solve the problem, then who is Ė not PG. PG hangs up on them. Iíve talk to several RV mechanic in couple States and they all say the same story Ė PG jacks are not reliable Ė electric motors and water donít mix period Ė who should I believe? Now tell me what I should do. Maybe take a course on how to replace parts on the jacks routinely or rebuild them into a better system Ė use a bunch of silicone to seal the motors up tight. Not to mention having spare parts with you at all times. This is not what I paid for. We are entitled to a reliable system. Iíve had a 1997 Pace Arrow I bought from someone I knew and in the 12 years he and I owned it, we only had to change one seal. Enough said.
Cheers
Wes
Old 08-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am another one that anything power gear will be a deal beaker.

VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote