Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 258
pre purchase inspection form and help needed

Hello;
I am about to purchase my first RV. will be full time and want to try to not make a mistake...I have been advised to search here for a pre purchase inspection form for a Class A Motor Home. I have tried to search but cannot locate one. Also what is the best way to find a good/excellent person to inspect for me? I am in south florida at the moment on the south west side in Naples area. thank you,...feel free to send email direct to me at my AllenMankin@Gmail.com address. I might be making an offer today....Thank you all very much...Allen
__________________

__________________
IamGadget is offline  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam
 
Hitchhiker's Avatar


 
Appalachian Campers
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Buladean, NC
Posts: 8,127
Here's one used by folks who are buying my brand of trailer. Maybe you can use it as a guide and adapt to your use?
__________________

__________________
'11 GMC Acadia SLT AWD
'11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab
Hitchhiker is offline  
Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 258
thank you...but i am purchasing a motorhome

Thank you.....I did go to the link you sent to me...but i have to join. so i cannot download the form. I am sure there would be some information ther, but since I am purchasing a coach there are so many things like engine and generator and many parts that i need to be made aware of. I was advised by someone that irv2.com has a pre-purchase inspection form somewhere...but i have not been able to search it...I might be searching wrong....
Thank you for your help....allen


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
Here's one used by folks who are buying my brand of trailer. Maybe you can use it as a guide and adapt to your use?
__________________
IamGadget is offline  
Old 03-01-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam
 
Hitchhiker's Avatar


 
Appalachian Campers
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Buladean, NC
Posts: 8,127
Sorry 'bout that, try this one, it won't have engine/drivetrain stuff but might help otherwise:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AcceptanceCheckList.pdf (54.3 KB, 685 views)
__________________
'11 GMC Acadia SLT AWD
'11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab
Hitchhiker is offline  
Old 03-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
gla
Member
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 31
ita hard to belive that in this market no one has come up with a pre inspection service for rvs. one only has to look in auto mags for all kinds of pre purchasing inspections. this could be a good money maker for a good retired rv service guy.a problem to be looked at that i have found some rv repair shops are good at one thing but not others.so finding a person that has this type of info on shops,priceless. this is why i joined irv2.....
__________________
gla is offline  
Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Wayneey's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 147
Here's a PDI checklist I used on my motorhome; the original file is an Excel spreadsheet. If you see anything that looks useful, please send me a PM and I'll be glad to send you the original file.

Wayne
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2008 Allegro Bay 35TSB PDI.pdf (37.6 KB, 511 views)
__________________
2008 Tiffin AB 35TSB W24, 08 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Tow Bar & U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake

Wayneey is offline  
Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
chasfm11's Avatar
 
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DFW Area, TX
Posts: 2,027
IMHO, a pre-purchase checklist really needs to be tailored to a specific RV and features. I can explain that.
  • On a MH, there are lots of things that should be checked that at TT doesn't have. For example, all of the fluids need to be checked for proper level and signs of contamination. The engine belts and hoses need to be looked at, even on a new one. Just because it made the delivery trip to the dealer, doesn't mean that there cannot be issues.
  • All RVs have different appliances. Each function on each appliance needs to be checked. We have two furnaces and two A/Cs and all functions (fan speeds, cooling, heating) need to be checked. We were unable to check the A/Cs since our delivery was done on 1/23 and the dash A/C was broken. A list of each appliance and all of its functions needs to be included in the checklist. This gets very complicated when you get into genset, transfer switch, inverter and converter connections. Similarly, the fresh water via hose or onboard tanks with the pump also needs to be checked. GFCIs should be checked as they are a common problem in 110v electrical issues.
  • The outside inspection often is done quickly. All lights should be checked. We had problems with some of our marker lights that I should have picked up on during the pre-delivery
  • We didn't do another test drive as part of our pre-delivery and we should have . We had speedometer problems (they were supposed to have been fixed) and I hadn't tested the exhaust brake as part of our initial test drive. Fortunately, there were no issues with it but that is just an example of things that are easy to overlook. If I had it to do over again. I would have had a driving part to the pre-delivery checklist
  • the act of creating your own checklist should help to familiarize you with the RV. It is an investment in time but is well worth it. In addition, it may prompt you for questions to ask about parts that don't make sense to you. If someone else simply demonstrates operation, the area for your question might not come up.
__________________
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
KF5-NJY
chasfm11 is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 258
thank you

thank you....i am going to try to delete this thread i started..since i already put down a deposit and decided to bring it to camping world for their 45 point inspection they offer. Since this is my first RV every...i think it best...The check lists that several people sent to me are still a lot of help...Thank you all...this is a great forum to belong to...thanks again, allen

I know have to figure out how to thank everyone on one reply. oh well...thanks again


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneey View Post
Here's a PDI checklist I used on my motorhome; the original file is an Excel spreadsheet. If you see anything that looks useful, please send me a PM and I'll be glad to send you the original file.

Wayne
__________________
IamGadget is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 258
thank you

thank you....i am going to try to delete this thread i started..since i already put down a deposit and decided to bring it to camping world for their 45 point inspection they offer. Since this is my first RV every...i think it best...The check lists that several people sent to me are still a lot of help...Thank you all...this is a great forum to belong to...thanks again, allen


Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
IMHO, a pre-purchase checklist really needs to be tailored to a specific RV and features. I can explain that.
  • On a MH, there are lots of things that should be checked that at TT doesn't have. For example, all of the fluids need to be checked for proper level and signs of contamination. The engine belts and hoses need to be looked at, even on a new one. Just because it made the delivery trip to the dealer, doesn't mean that there cannot be issues.
  • All RVs have different appliances. Each function on each appliance needs to be checked. We have two furnaces and two A/Cs and all functions (fan speeds, cooling, heating) need to be checked. We were unable to check the A/Cs since our delivery was done on 1/23 and the dash A/C was broken. A list of each appliance and all of its functions needs to be included in the checklist. This gets very complicated when you get into genset, transfer switch, inverter and converter connections. Similarly, the fresh water via hose or onboard tanks with the pump also needs to be checked. GFCIs should be checked as they are a common problem in 110v electrical issues.
  • The outside inspection often is done quickly. All lights should be checked. We had problems with some of our marker lights that I should have picked up on during the pre-delivery
  • We didn't do another test drive as part of our pre-delivery and we should have . We had speedometer problems (they were supposed to have been fixed) and I hadn't tested the exhaust brake as part of our initial test drive. Fortunately, there were no issues with it but that is just an example of things that are easy to overlook. If I had it to do over again. I would have had a driving part to the pre-delivery checklist
  • the act of creating your own checklist should help to familiarize you with the RV. It is an investment in time but is well worth it. In addition, it may prompt you for questions to ask about parts that don't make sense to you. If someone else simply demonstrates operation, the area for your question might not come up.
__________________
IamGadget is offline  
Old 03-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,062
We don't want to delete the thread, gadget, because it is potentially useful to others shoppers. However, I'll lock it for you so there are no further replies.
__________________

__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now  
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.