Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Our 1st choice is PFJ when they have RV lanes because we have the loyalty card. Next are stations with pumps in an outlot (i.e. Meijers, Sam's, Costco). 3rd are stations with pumps parallel to the store, as it can be tight when the pumps are perpendicular where vehicles can get in front of you. Last are stations with pumps perpendicular & we shoot for the end lane to make it easier to exit.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I mostly use the station across the highway from FJ. Price is competitive. FJ is a zoo. The RV in front of me turns into FJ and I turn in across the highway. I'm always filled and back on the road before the FJ customer gets to the pumps.

-Tom, W3TLN

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJustice View Post
Lot's of discussion about fueling diesel rigs. Flying J and Pilot only seem to have programs aimed at diesel fuel.

I have a 37' gasser + toad. Any way to look for better than average places to fuel?

If there is a Farmers Co-Op nearby, their gasoline price per gallon is usually a few cents lower than other outlets. Usually easy to access & egress because of their customer base needs. Need your tires air pressure checked? No problem! Usually free, but tips will be accepted and appreciated.

We use Elberta AL Co-Op frequently. You can find some neat stuff in their store!
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #18

I have bought into the Top Tier detergent gasoline argument.

Home | Top Tier Gas

I use the GasBuddy App on my phone to find the cheapest Top Tier gas in the area I want to fill up in. In an unknown area, I start looking at a half a tank. So, I have options.

Flying Js are not Top Tier (the last time I looked). The heck with them. I never did like them anyways.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #19

Preferred places to fuel a gasser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I mostly use the station across the highway from FJ. Price is competitive. FJ is a zoo. The RV in front of me turns into FJ and I turn in across the highway. I'm always filled and back on the road before the FJ customer gets to the pumps.

-Tom, W3TLN

Yep! Up to 40c cheaper per gallon.
Those with the fear of effective maneuvering can overcome it. For others, it's just too much of a challenge.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1481558282.330619.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1481558309.675810.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  113.1 KB
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Yep! Up to 40c cheaper per gallon.
Those with the fear of effective maneuvering can overcome it. For others, it's just too much of a challenge.
Attachment 146565
Attachment 146566
Thanks for your reply to my comment, even though I don't fully understand it.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
it's all about price and clearance overhead!
Old 12-12-2016, 04:56 PM   #22

I agree the ones I hate are the ones with questionable overhead clearance and no clearance markings. I don't mind the no clearance marking on the modern mega gas station where the canopy is 18-20 feet up that is obvious, but those older stations where you wonder is that 11, 12, or 13 feet when you are pulling into the lot and the only way through is under the canopy or you will be doing some interesting backing.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's Flying J for us unless they're not available. I went to their website and located all of the locations with RV Drive Thru lanes and marked them in our atlas. Then as we plan the route for the day I know if we will have one available. It isn't always so but more common than I thought. I also look at the location we are going to using the Google Satellite picture to see the layout and best approach. My favorite alternative is a small local outlet along the route. They usually have easy access and aren't that busy. The gas is good as the locals buy there and we find the attendants full of information on where to eat or not and maybe a tidbit or two about the area.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 1st choice is always Costco, always the lowest price, easy in and out and top tier gas. After that, Loves, Flying J, Pilot, etc. I have yet to find these huge differences in $$$ some speak of. I use Gas Buddy App to verify. I usually take on about 50 gallons so a price difference of 10 cents equals 5$. I can spend that much in extra gas trying to save 10 cents.

Just my experience and opinion, you are entitled to your own.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I like to use Next Exit for dining and fuel stops. If there is no room to get in line I carry a orange cone in the bay and set it up in the lane in front of the pump.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #26

Preferred places to fuel a gasser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
My 1st choice is always Costco, always the lowest price, easy in and out and top tier gas. After that, Loves, Flying J, Pilot, etc. I have yet to find these huge differences in $$$ some speak of. I use Gas Buddy App to verify. I usually take on about 50 gallons so a price difference of 10 cents equals 5$. I can spend that much in extra gas trying to save 10 cents.

Just my experience and opinion, you are entitled to your own.
My first choice is the Kroger family of groceries.
My average fill is 100 gallons +. We have bettered $40 gain per hundred, but average about $27. YMoneyMV
We buy sets of tires with the savings my using Gas Buddy and having no fear of maneuvering.
IMHO
WITH a cash-back card and the easy research resources, we win!
Others, not so much.
So what is "preferred"? Cheaper with quality fuel!!!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fuel, gas