Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone else have a Pressure Pro Sensor start to leak?????

Just spent the last 2 days fighting what I thought was a leaky tire (and part of it was a pinhole) in the toad, but then isolated it down to what I believe is a bad sensor.

Heading up the I-state, the control-box started to shriek out its warning of a low tire so we dutifully pulled over. Sure enough, it was almost flat so I added air. Got back on the I-state and it did it again. Found a nearby campground to limp to and then took the bad tire to a fix-it place. They found a minute leak and plugged it. No loss of air that night.

Next day, the saga repeated itself. Every few miles, I'd get a low-air indication and pull off the I-state and add air. Frustrated, I finally swapped sensor locations only to find the low-pressure indication followed me to the next tire. Took off ALL sensors and made it to our destination for the night completely without incident.

Called the dealer (no, it wasn't RVUpgrades.com) and explained my findings. I was told: "Gee, what's the problem? It told you the tire was low, didn't it?". I patiently said that I find it odd that the exact device I depended on to detect a low-tire condition is the same thing that CAUSES them. Got no sympathy at all (in a Rodney Daingerfield voice here). Now I gotta send it in for 'inspection' and they'll decide what to do with it, and charge me if I made a mis-diagnosis. Guy also mentioned I might have the 'old' version and can upgrade all of mine to the new ones (on my nickel, of course).

I'm taking 'em all off for the remainder of the trip back to home-base, and then I'll decide what to do with the system.

(soap-box on)
I usually roll with the flow on most things, but was definitely set-back a notch by the cavalier attitude this time. I didn't ask for compensation for 2 days extra lodging, 3 lost appointments, the cost to find a minute (not capable of causing a loss of 25 psi in less than 30 seconds) pinhole leak, or even for the peril of pumping-up a tire only 5ft off a busy I-state. Heck, even a "Whoa, bummer dude. Sorry." woulda helped. Nope, sales-pitch all the way. I know 'things happen', but this flat-out bugged me.
(soap-box off)

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone else have a Pressure Pro Sensor start to leak?????

Just spent the last 2 days fighting what I thought was a leaky tire (and part of it was a pinhole) in the toad, but then isolated it down to what I believe is a bad sensor.

Heading up the I-state, the control-box started to shriek out its warning of a low tire so we dutifully pulled over. Sure enough, it was almost flat so I added air. Got back on the I-state and it did it again. Found a nearby campground to limp to and then took the bad tire to a fix-it place. They found a minute leak and plugged it. No loss of air that night.

Next day, the saga repeated itself. Every few miles, I'd get a low-air indication and pull off the I-state and add air. Frustrated, I finally swapped sensor locations only to find the low-pressure indication followed me to the next tire. Took off ALL sensors and made it to our destination for the night completely without incident.

Called the dealer (no, it wasn't RVUpgrades.com) and explained my findings. I was told: "Gee, what's the problem? It told you the tire was low, didn't it?". I patiently said that I find it odd that the exact device I depended on to detect a low-tire condition is the same thing that CAUSES them. Got no sympathy at all (in a Rodney Daingerfield voice here). Now I gotta send it in for 'inspection' and they'll decide what to do with it, and charge me if I made a mis-diagnosis. Guy also mentioned I might have the 'old' version and can upgrade all of mine to the new ones (on my nickel, of course).

I'm taking 'em all off for the remainder of the trip back to home-base, and then I'll decide what to do with the system.

(soap-box on)
I usually roll with the flow on most things, but was definitely set-back a notch by the cavalier attitude this time. I didn't ask for compensation for 2 days extra lodging, 3 lost appointments, the cost to find a minute (not capable of causing a loss of 25 psi in less than 30 seconds) pinhole leak, or even for the peril of pumping-up a tire only 5ft off a busy I-state. Heck, even a "Whoa, bummer dude. Sorry." woulda helped. Nope, sales-pitch all the way. I know 'things happen', but this flat-out bugged me.
(soap-box off)

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have had the same problem. Based on my experience, do not return the sensor. All they do is send you another sensor that leaks. Consider calling them and buying a supply of the pink rubber seals that go into the sensor and against the valve stem. Look into the sensor end that threads onto the valve stem, you can see the pink seal. The seal is what is leaking. I wanted to purchase, but they sent me 5 for free. I am now down to one spare!

If you go this route, you will need some very small tweezers. After taking the old seal out, have a good sensor handy to visually see what a good seal looks like. I purchased an extra sensor. It comes in handy for this purpose. When replacing the seal, one must get the seal under the brass lip. If this positioning is not done correctly the sensor will leak.

I am very careful to just snug tighten the sensor on the valve stem. For some unknown reason, the pink rubber seal does not last long, for me. It remains the only disappointment I have with the system.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #4

I have about 14 of these sensors and find that I am responsible for most of the leaking problems. By over tightening them you will break down the seal. Make sure that the inner guts of the valve stem is run down the full amount as well. JMHO

David
Old 01-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Anybody every check out an O ring ? They come in all sizes, and I think they might work just as well and will be much more durable. Who knows it could be a permenant cure.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #6

I have seen a couple of these posts now, so thats why I am going to try out this system

I like the flow thru valve stems, and the batteries are replaceable by the owner. The system with the new monitor will be ready by this February.

I will post an update when I get it installed...

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm thinking I'd seen another thread about this problem on here, but can't find it now by doing a search. Any suggestions?

Steve - Thanks, already thought of that, but from what I can see, it looks like there's a little pip on the o-ring that depresses the Schrader-stem itself.

SargeW - Good stuff, thanks. But I didn't find pricing there, do you know what a 4-wheel system (for toad only) would run? What is different about the 'new' monitor?

David - Those tiny seals do look a bit puny for sure, but once these babies got put on the tires, they haven't been taken off yet. Are you saying removal/replacements were the cause of seal-breakdown or just plain gorilla-strength the first time?

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2007, 05:25 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Jestme13,
Have you tried your recommendation or was it a "shot in the dark". The seal mentioned in my OP covers the entire space between the sensor and the valve stem. I don't know of an "O" ring that would accomplish what the seal does. Having to get seals from Pressure Pro is a pain. If you have been successful with your recommendation, I'd really like to know the details.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:39 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I'll echo the other reports - have had two such problems with the sensor failing to seal. One occurred after having new tires and valves installed - one of the valves stems must have been a bit ragged on the end or maybe not quite square and would not seal well. The other occurred recently when I moved the sensors to our new coach. I finally resolved it by turning the little pink seal in the sensor over and re-seating it. Voila! No leak! BTW, teflon tape on the valve threads also worked, but I fussed with it until the tape was no longer needed.

I think I'll get a supply of those pink seals. It appears they can be worn or damaged fairly easily if you remove & reinstall the sensors very often.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #10

Ron,

The new monitor that they have will be a one piece monitor as opposed to the original two piece that has a small screen and a small receiver box. The site for the pricing is here.

The new one piece monitor should be out in February, as according to Tim at Trikor.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:33 AM   #11

To prolong seal life, has anyone tried graphite or dry silicone on the END of the stem to prevent abrasion? Might be a good idea if you go LIGHTLY with it and dont get it blown into the sensor???
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:38 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
To close the loop from my original post, I think I've got it solved . After much experimentation, frustration, and just plain irritation with the whole Pressure Pro sensor issue, it seems the steel valve stems I had specially-installed for the sensors was the culprit.

Well, not exactly the stems themselves but the garage-monkey that evidently installed them only FINGER-TIGHT ! In the process of moving sensors around to isolate which one(s) is bad, I started noticing that I had to hold 3 of the 4 stems with my fingers to keep it from rotating while tightening the sensor on it. At first I rationalized the stem was still sealing but was just a slip-fit (after all, how would an experienced tire-mechanic otherwise leave out a step that was obviously so important?), but then decided to take a trip to a different tire-store and look at one of the stems by itself. I immediately noticed there was a rubber-like seal on both sides of where the wheel goes, and the only way for the stem to seal was to have it tightly compress the rubber. AH-HA!

So, back to the CG and get out the wrenches. Sure enough, I got several turns on each, and a quite bit more on the right-front (which had been where all the trouble was to begin with). There's been about 1,000 more miles on the tires now with and without sensors, and not a problem (knock on my wooden-head) .

My new conclusion is that the stems were on there just barely tight enough to hold air when there was no sensor attached, but would distort outward from the centrifugal force with a sensor and subsequently cause it to lose air. Also makes me glad I got steel-stems instead of rubber ones, if it makes that much of a difference.

Hope this helps anyone else out there that might have a problem similar to mine.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #13

Thanks for the update. Always good when the problem is resolved and we get to know it. I must say I was a bit woried, I just bought a set and am in the process of installing them. I know they are not perfect but at least you found the true cause of the problem and it was not the Pressure Pro caps.

Thanks again

David