Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2008, 05:32 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, I wanted to wait until everything was resolved before posting this. Last month I had a problem with one of my sensors on my toad. It had gotten overheated with a brake problem and finally gave out. I called L&S Systems where I had purchased my PressurePro. They wanted to try several different fixes before we finally agreed that the sensor needed to be replaced. Duane said that to save a few bucks, they could sell me a "slightly used" sensor. I agreed and the sensor was shipped. When it arrived and I tried to install it, it never checked in with any reading. Called and Duane agreed to send a replacement. I would return the defective sensor. We were scheduled to leave on a trip, and I was relieved when the sensor arrived the morning before we pulled out. I installed the sensor and thought great.

Not to be. A quarter mile down the road, the sensor starts beeping and showing 00 pressure! I thought, great new sensor probably leaked and now I have a flat. Stopped and checked; nope tire was fine. By this time the sensor was back to normal. Went on down the road thinking all was fine and this was a one time glitch. Now about a mile down the road the sensor goes off again. Again I check and everything is fine. Further down the road about 10 minutes again sensor goes to zero pressure. Again I check. Finally I do not believe the sensor. I call L&S and they have ideas about the dill valve being set too low. I agree that I will stop at a truck stop that I know and check. Adjusted the valve slightly and went on my way. This seemed to help however every once in a while the sensor would beep.

Finally I decided to just delete the offending sensor. And not deal with it on our trip. I called L&S again and they agreed that if I returned the sensor they would replace it. I sent it in and again the sensor arrived in the mail; only this time is was the same sensor... They had enclosed a note saying it was checked for 24 hours and showed no problems. Now I decided to move the display to the toad and really diagnose the problem. After driving about a day, I determined that it was a speed issue. The sensor would consistently go off when coming to a stop or slowing. Speeding up to about 30 mph took care of the problem MOST of the time. I called L&S again and explained the problem. They had only done a static test; motion was the problem. Finally we agreed that I would pay the difference and receive a NEW sensor, not a slightly used one. Sensor arrived Friday and I'm glad to say that I'm finally monitoring all of my tires.

My thanks to L&S and Duane for sticking with me and finally solving the problem. I might also note that Duane actually called while we were on our trip to see if there was anything else he could do. But at that time, I was not interested in dealing with the sensor problem. It could wait until I got home.

This is not to slam pressure pro or their monitor. The system when it works correctly is great and gives peace of mind. However you should be warned, I would not purchase any "slightly used" or refurbished sensors.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2008, 05:32 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, I wanted to wait until everything was resolved before posting this. Last month I had a problem with one of my sensors on my toad. It had gotten overheated with a brake problem and finally gave out. I called L&S Systems where I had purchased my PressurePro. They wanted to try several different fixes before we finally agreed that the sensor needed to be replaced. Duane said that to save a few bucks, they could sell me a "slightly used" sensor. I agreed and the sensor was shipped. When it arrived and I tried to install it, it never checked in with any reading. Called and Duane agreed to send a replacement. I would return the defective sensor. We were scheduled to leave on a trip, and I was relieved when the sensor arrived the morning before we pulled out. I installed the sensor and thought great.

Not to be. A quarter mile down the road, the sensor starts beeping and showing 00 pressure! I thought, great new sensor probably leaked and now I have a flat. Stopped and checked; nope tire was fine. By this time the sensor was back to normal. Went on down the road thinking all was fine and this was a one time glitch. Now about a mile down the road the sensor goes off again. Again I check and everything is fine. Further down the road about 10 minutes again sensor goes to zero pressure. Again I check. Finally I do not believe the sensor. I call L&S and they have ideas about the dill valve being set too low. I agree that I will stop at a truck stop that I know and check. Adjusted the valve slightly and went on my way. This seemed to help however every once in a while the sensor would beep.

Finally I decided to just delete the offending sensor. And not deal with it on our trip. I called L&S again and they agreed that if I returned the sensor they would replace it. I sent it in and again the sensor arrived in the mail; only this time is was the same sensor... They had enclosed a note saying it was checked for 24 hours and showed no problems. Now I decided to move the display to the toad and really diagnose the problem. After driving about a day, I determined that it was a speed issue. The sensor would consistently go off when coming to a stop or slowing. Speeding up to about 30 mph took care of the problem MOST of the time. I called L&S again and explained the problem. They had only done a static test; motion was the problem. Finally we agreed that I would pay the difference and receive a NEW sensor, not a slightly used one. Sensor arrived Friday and I'm glad to say that I'm finally monitoring all of my tires.

My thanks to L&S and Duane for sticking with me and finally solving the problem. I might also note that Duane actually called while we were on our trip to see if there was anything else he could do. But at that time, I was not interested in dealing with the sensor problem. It could wait until I got home.

This is not to slam pressure pro or their monitor. The system when it works correctly is great and gives peace of mind. However you should be warned, I would not purchase any "slightly used" or refurbished sensors.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:04 AM   #3

1) how many years have you driven cars without sensors?
2) While it was annoying but nice that your sensor problem was while the tire was OK, How do you know that some of the others are not giving you False OK readings.
I had two sensors go bad, at separate times, and leak the tires completely flat. Luckily it was while the rig was in the storage lot.
JFWIW!!
OBTW, I don't have any sensors on mine any more!
Jerry
Old 08-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
mbrooking,
Join the used/reconditioned Pressure Pro sensor club. I went through similar problems and circle dance with "reconditioned" sensors directly from Pressure Pro. Never again. For me, their "reconditioning" program is damaging their Brand image. In the furute it is only new sensors.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 1) how many years have you driven cars without sensors? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many years, This is why I wasn't worried about continuing on my trip with only one sensor not working. I figured the odds were with me that that particular tire would not fail.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 2) While it was annoying but nice that your sensor problem was while the tire was OK, How do you know that some of the others are not giving you False OK readings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty easy to tell if the sensor is working. Just removing it from the tire causes the monitor to scream at you. Replacing it provides you with a new reading.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I had two sensors go bad, at separate times, and leak the tires completely flat. Luckily it was while the rig was in the storage lot.
Jerry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I'm confused... A tire could easily go down while in storage and the monitor would not go off. It would only notify you after you started the system up. You probably noticed the flat tires long before that.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #6

Yes, I noticed the flat tires as I drove up to the rig. Thats not the point! The tires went flat because the sensors leaked!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I learned also to "TEST" with a soap or a liquid solution made for checking for leaks. So, I always put the sensors on the day before I leave, test them for leaks, then the day leaving ensure that the pressure is correct...
Additionally, I had an issue with one spinning off...so I tape them on before take off...

2005 Dolphin
Gdlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I finally decided to purchase a set of pressure pros at Essex Jct FMCA rally earlier this month after the price dropped almost $100 from the first day of the rally to the last. Seemed like the right thing to do. Only small problem was the price included installation. The dealer of choice came over Sunday morning to complete the "twenty minuet" installation.
Well,.......after a couple of hours of trying to make them stop leaking out came the hammer and large screw driver to drive them off my stems. He screwed them on so tight with waterpump pliers he actually broke the two halfs causing them them to spin freely and not come off the valve stems. I couldn't stop him quick enough before I heard an , Oh s.......! He broke my stem right in half. If you happened to see someone sitting by the gate until 5PM waiting for a service truck to come and replace the stem,(not an easy find in Northern Vermont on a Sunday afternoon), that was me. I think I'm going to stick with a tire gauge for a little while longer.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #9

That is a few reasons why I went with a sensor called "Tire SafeGuard". Reasonably priced, and they are the only sensors on the market that you can check or fill the tire without removing the sensor. They have a flow through design for filling. The more you have to put on or take off any sensor, the more the chance for leaks. I have had mine on for about a year with no problems. I have filled and checked the tires numerious times without adjusting or removing the sensor.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
SargeW,
What is "resonably priced"?
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #11

I believe I paid $500 for ten sensors, the receiver for the coach, an entended antenna for the coach, and the transmitter for the toad. I bought it around the holidays so I don't remember if it was a reduced price or not, but I posted about it at the time and several people on the site purchased one.

http://www.trikor.com/ Here is a link to their site if you are interested.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #12

I've had a Pressure Pro system on my coach for approximately 2 years. The coach is a 36', and I assumed I wouldn't need a remote antenna/transmitter at the back of the coach because it's not that long. I now think it would really help, as I mount my monitor on the driver's side front window when traveling, and the reception from the passenger side transmitters is marginal at best. I find the system does not work well at all when at rest and the tires cold, but it seems to work MUCH better when I'm on the road or the tires are hot from driving. Seems to me it should work the same when the tires are hot or cold, but it doesen't. Nonetheless, it does offer some degree of comfort when on the road.