Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #1

Preventing frozen water pipes during winter travel

People who live in the south and travel north during the winter, what do you do to make sure that your MH survives freezing temperatures as you travel and camp? What do you do when you are at a camp site for the night and the temperature is below freezing. How do you make sure that your water pipes don't freeze. Oh, by the way, I have a small 26ft class B+ MH that has exposed pipes outside of the main livening area. What do you do as you travel on the highways and the temperature is below freezing?
Robert Wurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #2

I can only answer for my rig, a small class A. In a campground with or with forecast freezing temps. fill the fresh water tank to the amount you think you will need for the night, then disconnect and drain your water hose. Then I would store it as its harder to roll after being cold all night. If you are afraid the fresh water tank will freeze while traveling, drain it before leaving in the morning. Some gallon plastic milk jugs with fresh water kept in the shower should cover day time travelling needs.

If the temps are really cold, winterize your water lines, drain the water heater and your fresh water holding tank. Use milk jugs to hold some fresh water for the toilet and coffee and use the campground showers.

While travelling, I can run my furnace which helps with the living area and also sends heat to the holding tank areas. If your black and gray water tanks are not heated, I would add some pink RV antifreeze. Even if you dump these two tanks, I would add some antifreeze to protect the valve area.

Hopefully some others will add to my advice.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #3

There is two simple solutions you can approach to prevent rv plumbing freezing. If you are in an rv park that has public bathroom facilities. Use their bathroom, not your plumbing. No. 2 is what I do. I leave Arizona in April and go back to Utah for the summer. An occasional snow storm and temps below freezing at night are not uncommon in April. I use rv antifreeze in my fresh water tank rather in the spring and don't hook up to city water until summer. That way my whole plumbing system is protected, holding tanks and all. Get bottled water for drinking. Even if they say rv antifreeze is safe I won't drink it. Soo Do not hookup to city water but use the fresh water tank with the recommended rv antifreeze and you'll be fine.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Unhook the water hose or use heat tape on it.
Typical coach furnaces will heat the tank area and wet/dump, too.
A small thermostat controlled space heater in the wet bay will keep that piping from freezing., if needed.
We added heat tape to water lines that run across the RV at the bottom of the tank bay (they liked to freeze).

At our home base, we have the water and sewer (macerator/garden hose) set up with heat tape and insulation. Space heater in wet bay.
With this setup, we can go all electric (oil filled and space heaters in coach) down to temps at zero and below with no frozen pipes.

We have lived in our RV for two years, preparing and saving for the trip/adventure we are now on. Mid-Missouri. Hot summers and COLD winters. Learned a lot about Rv living!
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are some answers for you in this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #6

Keep in mind that heat tape, heat hoses, and holding tank heat pads can cost a fortune. Ask your RV dealer or store for a good proven RV antifreeze. Most RV antifreeze formulas and designed to protect your RV up to -32 below. Usually only costs about $4 bucks a bottle, and you won't have to worry about it.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarkid View Post
Unhook the water hose or use heat tape on it.
Typical coach furnaces will heat the tank area and wet/dump, too.
A small thermostat controlled space heater in the wet bay will keep that piping from freezing., if needed.
We added heat tape to water lines that run across the RV at the bottom of the tank bay (they liked to freeze).

At our home base, we have the water and sewer (macerator/garden hose) set up with heat tape and insulation. Space heater in wet bay.
With this setup, we can go all electric (oil filled and space heaters in coach) down to temps at zero and below with no frozen pipes.

We have lived in our RV for two years, preparing and saving for the trip/adventure we are now on. Mid-Missouri. Hot summers and COLD winters. Learned a lot about Rv living!
X2 from Canada
Old 11-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #8

Preventing frozen water pipes during winter travel

We use on board water and keep the slides in if it is real cold. 3 deg at night & 30 deg day for two days last winter. No problem. On our coach last year the furnace heat went up under the closed slides. Worked well. With slide open water lines would be exposed.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, vent, water, winter