Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-23-2009, 05:00 AM   #15

We purchased a RV just a couple months ago. E Bay by far had best pricing BUT we found a dealership that had closed up their business except for keeping the service department open. They kept two salesman on staff and all these two guys do is go to auctions and buy RVs a few at a time and then sell them on e-bay. They will fine exactly the coach you are looking for and check it all out for you. HERE IS THE BIG DEAL go to NADA book value (no additional equipment $ needed just coach value) go to LOW book. These guys will sell it to you WAY BELOW the low book value. We purchased ours $40,000 BELOW LOW NADA BOOK!!! Couldn't be happier. I kept thinking that somehow somewhere they are going to GET to me. I wanted a few things fixed and have the engine and all filters serviced. They did everything and checked it all out for me NO CHARGE!! I have a good idea how MUCH profit margin dealers are trying to get!!! Couldn't be more thankful I fould these guys. They are located in Texas but they go to auctions everywhere and will e-mail you pictures of coaches. People you can spend a whole lot of money buying one of these things (only thing I have found that has more markup than a boat). The guys name is Christen and his cell is 817-689-1835. He called me last week and said they had a 2008 45 Bluebird (only 14 of them made) sold for over one million and he could get it to someone for $385,000!! Anyway like I said "we are very thankful we found him" saved us a lot of $$$ if ya want just tell him Bill Mason told ya about him. Good luck

FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:24 AM   #16
Alpine Owners Club
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
We will be buying outright.

Is the Internet the best place to look?

What kinds of channels do private parties use? When I google I generally get dealers, not private parties.
You might also check the unusually-named website, www.crankyape.com. They auction off RV's (and other stuff) similar to ebay but are actually a broker for bank repo's. The banks who have foreclosed already know they have some lumps to take and set their reserves reasonably. I monitor it from time to time and there are some pretty good deals to be had there, if you are not in a hurry. One thing, though, they require you to submit via regular mail or fax a bidder's application before you can bid on anything (no online registration). So, you need to do that or when your dream coach come's up, you won't be eligible to bid!

Jaime & Dave (and our 3 cocker spaniels)
2005 Alpine Coach 36FDTS w/ 2009 Honda CR-V, Doran TPMS, Roadmaster Towbar, US Gear Braking
Dave and Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:50 AM   #17
I did a lot of looking via internet sales like rv trader a while back and found the units overpriced and the sellers very reluctant to come down. It seems that the sellers don't want to accept the offers they get from dealers and decide to sell it themselves, thus a higher price. It gets emotional with the sellers because of the big depreciation they will take. In some cases they have taken care of their MH or added expensive improvements and it doesn't seem right to have to just give that away. So your timing has to be just when the seller finally accepts his loss. In addition there will always be a little or a lot of traveling just to see the unit. There are great deals sometimes but finding them is hard. I will grant that I was looking during the good times for RV sales, but I feel that my experience will be valid today. Then there is the problem of selling you old MH.
Jim Walker
N Virginia
2014 Palazzo 33.2
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #18
THANKS to all who posted. GREAT advice!

We are blessed in that we don't have an RV to sell, have already sold our home, and are just waiting for our seasonal business to get back into the "fat" months. Speaking of which, are there seasonal considerations to buying, as there are in homes? In other words, do more people sell in, say, fall than in spring? Or, is that a "yes, but there's more inventory in the spring; in the fall all that are left are the picked over ones that no one bought"?

Turbo Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote