Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #1

Problem with lights

My moterhome has a problem with the lights. First of all the moterhome is 25 years old. Now when I turn on the lights for 20 seconds everything is okay. Then the lights start flickering. Every time faster until they completely stop. Underneath the fuse box I can hear a clicking sound on the rather of the flickering of the lights. Any idea what can cause this? Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutch
My moterhome has a problem with the lights. First of all the moterhome is 25 years old. Now when I turn on the lights for 20 seconds everything is okay. Then the lights start flickering. Every time faster until they completely stop. Underneath the fuse box I can hear a clicking sound on the rather of the flickering of the lights. Any idea what can cause this? Thanks in advance.
Check and replace the flasher just a though

Old 10-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You didn't say which lights :-)

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #4

It looks like Winnebago was using a Parallax 6300 Series Power Center in the mid 80's. There is a battery/converter selection relay in the converter section below the AC/DC distribution panel. These were also known as the Linear Style Converters. If this is a 6300 Series then the best choice might be to upgrade to a more modern 3 stage converter which is less likely to create battery problems. However, here is the Reference and troubleshooting information for the 6300 series system PPS LINEAR CONVERTERS TECHNICAL

Additionally,
There is a fan that operates off of a temperature sensor to prevent overheating.
If the fan fails then there is a high temp cutoff switch that secures 115VAC input power.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutch View Post
Flying Dutch,

It sounds like you are talking about the headlights. Is this correct?

If you ARE talking about the headlights, I would suspect the circuit breaker for the headlights is opening and re-setting. Vehicle headlight circuits are usually protected by an automatically re-setting circuit breaker. This circuit breaker is often located in the vicinity of the fuse panel.

If this is the case, most likely your problem is NOT with the circuit breaker. You probably have either a faulty headlight unit, or worn/faulty wiring to the headlights. Something is overloading the headlight circuit, but not enough to cause the circuit breaker to trip immediately. The overload requires some time before the circuit breaker gets hot enough to trip.

Troubleshooting this problem will be difficult, since it's not a straight short to ground. Get an electrical meter and follow the wiring. You should find your problem.

If it were me, and if I could afford it, I'd hire someone to find and fix this problem.

Best of luck,
-- Loren
Old 11-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Also could be a bad ground somewhere. If a ground wire is broken the lights will try to ground through whatever metal is touching somewhere. This can cause a reduction in current flow through the bulbs. Had this happen on mine with the brake and tail lights. Someone had left the ground wire loose.

Tags
lights