Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #1

Problem with Sleep Number Bed - clicking when on Inverter

Last week had new pump and new remote controller put in because old wired remote didn't show numbers...
Now, the bed continually "clicks" in rapid sucession three times approximately every 40 seconds or so... Is exactly the same clicking as it makes when pump is adjusted...
Only does it when it's on power from inverter....
Anyone else had this problem ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #2

Have you put a voltage tester on that plug to see if it is pulsing voltage?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #3

Have not done that... the plug is under the bed box inside a wooden compartment having an opening of approx 2" with the outlet being barely accessable... best is one is 3' tall, two left arms, each with at least two elbows.... can't get my plug in voltage meter guage in it but may try the one with the two wires / tips ...
Haven't noticed any issues in other outlets when inverter is on but will double check it Wed when I get back to it now that you mentioned it..
Thanks..
Old 08-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is possible that the electronics in the upgraded controller are not compatible with your inverter. This could be the case if your inverter is not pure sine wave. Is it?

My modified sine wave Xantrex inverter in the boat would not charge cell phone and iPods. They would pulse on and off.

Just a thought.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #5

Good thought... I'm going to check the voltage at the outlet when inverter power is on - and check what the inverter type actually is .. is a Zantrek RS 3000 for whatever that means...don't believe I got any info on the new air pum / controller / receiver in the sleep number bed..
And if all else fails, have appointment on 25th at dealers to have them look at it..
Old 08-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEagle View Post
Good thought... I'm going to check the voltage at the outlet when inverter power is on - and check what the inverter type actually is .. is a Zantrek RS 3000 for whatever that means...don't believe I got any info on the new air pum / controller / receiver in the sleep number bed..
The Xantrex RS3000 IS a sine-wave inverter, capable of 3000 watts. Hope that Zantrek is not a cheap knock off.

One other thing to consider is that some inverters (power supplies included) do not behave well at very low loads. When sizing a supply it is often best for the typical load to be withing 25 to 75% of the inverter or power supply capability.

If you want to check this, plug a space heater into the inverter and put a 500 or 1000 watt load on the inverter. Does the controller still click? If not then the RS3000 is not behaving well at low loads. If it still clicks and doesn't when plugged into shore power, it is probably time for a new inverter (the RS3000 is discontinued).

The best diagnostic is to find a friend with a Oscilloscope and scope the AC signal at various loads. I suspect it is not well formed.

Hope I am not bearer of bad news, because quality SW inverters are not cheap (the Xantrex Freedom SW 3000 is $1100 to $1500).
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like the bed has a leak.

Unplug it, and see if you are sleeping on wood tomorrow morning.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #8

Air in bed has held steady.. and when I changed them up a bit, they held steady there....
I'll put more load on the inverter tomorrow and listen then...
I almost hope it's the inverter because it's under a full warranty and a new upgraded replacement would be fine if that's the case.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #9

Checked voltage at outlets near bed while inverter was on and shore power off/generator off... air pump clicking but voltage meter holding at 119-120..
Forgot until now to put load on it and check again... will do in AM...
Also noticed that microwave (Sharp dual convection oven/microwave 850W) timer does not stay set when on inverter....
good news is that everything works fine in shore a/c or generator.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are getting closer, the Microwave observation lends credence to the inverter not providing a good waveform at low loads.

Fire that electric heater up on the inverter.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #11

OK.. I remain confused but checked a couple more things..
Problem - Air pump on sleep number bed continously clicks 3 times every 40 seconds or so when shore power off / generator off .. inverter on.
Batteries have full 12.8 charge...
All is OK when on generator or shore power.. Voltage at 110 outlets remains steady at 119-120
With inverter only on, Voltage remains at 119 / 120... BUT ...air pump motor clicks , Microwave clock self clears time set....
1) I plugged in 1500W heater....voltage from outlets drops to 115, wave stays at 60. no more clicks from air pump motor, time can be set on microwave and it stays.
2) Unplug heater.. voltage goes back to 119/120... air pump motor starts to click, microwave clock drops the time again.
3) Turned on mircowave (850W)... voltage drops but only to 119 steady... no air pump motor clicks.. clock time can be set again..
4) Turn off microwave , air pump motor commenses to click .. microwave clock drops time again....
Checked outlets at kitchen and also under bed where air pump is plugged in .... voltages same....
Still clueless and ignorant but certainly appears I don't have a air pump motor or microwave problem ..
As you eluded to earlier, I likely have inverter problem at low (parasitic draw only) power usage ?? Is this probable ?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #12

Don't know what it's called in Xantrex land, but there is a wattage detect setting in the inverter that, if on, could be pulsing the AC looking for a load to supply full power to. If you are apparently having this at low load levels in the coach, find it and shut it off.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Might be a good time to call Xantrex for support. From your tests you have narrowed it down to bad waveforms from the inverter with a small load.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #14

I disagree. Having poked at these in news trucks for years, there is very little distortion at no load.
Here is the discussion on Load Sense from the manual:

I think this thing is coming on from a standby mode looking for something asking for power, and not meeting the sense criteria (load) set into the inverter.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter