Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I saw a nifty 4-way level on RV Today telly show. Couldn't find it in the show archives so e-mailed them. Surprise they wrote back w/info. Ordered from Rvtoystore. I had read favorable comments about them. Received the level and thought to try out 1st on the granite counter top. Knowing it is not perfectly flat, I sat a 6" torpedo level on a piece of 3/4" plywood large enough and with 2 decks of playing cards began to level the board. First one corner then an adjacent corner. Then I flipped the level 180 deg and "proved" level both ways. Then I sat new 4-way on flat/level board. It should have lighted the leds at each corner but it would only do so in one of the potential 4 ways it can be set on floor. I reversed the whole proceedure starting w/4-way with same result. I called the retailer for return auth. and to warn them about this. They said I was the first to have a problem. Aside from a carpenter or pretty good hobbiest, most folks wouldn't know about proving and trueing a level. This is why good beam levels have adjustable vials and come w/instructions on maintaining accuracy. The 4-way is not ajustable. We all know the damage potential of moving slides out w/rig not level. Sorry so long but thought you should know if you have bought one or are about to get one. Too bad/ it is a neat idea. How about one of you electric wizards coming up with a real one? I'm a buyer looking.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I saw a nifty 4-way level on RV Today telly show. Couldn't find it in the show archives so e-mailed them. Surprise they wrote back w/info. Ordered from Rvtoystore. I had read favorable comments about them. Received the level and thought to try out 1st on the granite counter top. Knowing it is not perfectly flat, I sat a 6" torpedo level on a piece of 3/4" plywood large enough and with 2 decks of playing cards began to level the board. First one corner then an adjacent corner. Then I flipped the level 180 deg and "proved" level both ways. Then I sat new 4-way on flat/level board. It should have lighted the leds at each corner but it would only do so in one of the potential 4 ways it can be set on floor. I reversed the whole proceedure starting w/4-way with same result. I called the retailer for return auth. and to warn them about this. They said I was the first to have a problem. Aside from a carpenter or pretty good hobbiest, most folks wouldn't know about proving and trueing a level. This is why good beam levels have adjustable vials and come w/instructions on maintaining accuracy. The 4-way is not ajustable. We all know the damage potential of moving slides out w/rig not level. Sorry so long but thought you should know if you have bought one or are about to get one. Too bad/ it is a neat idea. How about one of you electric wizards coming up with a real one? I'm a buyer looking.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
Old 06-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Doesn't your leveling system have built in leveling indicators?? I know HWH's systems do.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #4

yeah...a $.49 bubble level is just as good....
Old 06-11-2006, 04:47 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
You can always use a piece of plastic tubing with water in it.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We all know the damage potential of moving slides out w/rig not level. Sorry so long but thought you should know if you have bought one or are about to get one. Too bad/ it is a neat idea. How about one of you electric wizards coming up with a real one? I'm a buyer looking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good report, eandy, but you are over-engineering the problem. The rig doesn't have to be dead level for sldes, fridge operation or anything else (except maybe your peace of mind). Any cheap level will be "close enough" for this purpose. And besides, you won't get the same "level" reading in any two places in the Rv anyway - they aren't built to that level of tolerance.

I've got a couple of stick-on "Hoppy" levels next to the driver seat on my coach and that's what I use to set up with. Get's it plenty close. If I want to fine tune, I open a galley cabinet door swing and also the door to the bahroom and see if either swings open/closed on its own.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
My HWH system has leveling lights on the control panel. Don't all leveling systems have these???

I often put my slides out without the jacks being down, mostly in paved parking lots.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, all good comments. Some extra notes. My rig has 2 full length slides and w/water,gas and propane full I'm pushing weight limits. Food & clothes don't add much. The only other weight we carry, even on long trips, is tool box & air compressor. I'm adding this for a reason. Not proven yet but will, I feel a bow inside w/slides out both ways, front to back and side to side. I don't know where leveler sensors are. I too have small bubble vials on doghouse console but noted on the tv show it's best to place a level on floor mid cabin. That makes getting up & down a lot. I'm only looking for reasonable accuracy but keeping in mind it's a lot of money involved. The leds on the problem level were appealing. Hope this explains. I'm curious now to hear if anyone else has tried this product. The rep at Rvtoystore seemed to suggest there have been quite a few sold.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison