Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
StevieG's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milton, NY
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Sounds like you bought the surge protector from PI ( under $100 ). You referred to mine so I must tell you that I have the PI EMS Portable which runs more like $350.
When I looked at the pic, I thought it looked the same as the one I just purchased. They look similar, but I see now I was wrong... However, whether $100 or $500... Do I have to lock everything up when I go to bed at night?
__________________

__________________
Steve & Beth - Milton, New York
2006 Monaco Knight 38 PDQ
Ready Brute Elite-2016 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,201
We have been using the portable unit for 5 years on two different coaches, with no problems. i use a bike chain lock to make it look like its secure.
__________________

__________________
Jim and Lynda, (Sophie, Jake, attack trained killer Shi-Tzus :-))

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,892
I have a cable with a lock. But most of the pedestals have a lockup on them. Never have had a problem with our unit.
__________________
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Damon Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Annapolis,MD
Posts: 1,193
I have the EMS-PT50C, I use a Python bike lock to secure it
to the post. I've used it over 200 nights at 50 different places.
It has saved me three times so far. I don't think someone
would steal it, but better safe than sorry.
__________________
macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
When I looked at the pic, I thought it looked the same as the one I just purchased. They look similar, but I see now I was wrong... However, whether $100 or $500... Do I have to lock everything up when I go to bed at night?
No one will want (to steal) the Spike protector you bought.
__________________
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
StevieG's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milton, NY
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
No one will want (to steal) the Spike protector you bought.
Good to know the surge protector thieves out there are smart enough to steal quality equipment! Mine will do the basics, won't get stolen, and is better than nothing at all... which is what I'm running now.
__________________
Steve & Beth - Milton, New York
2006 Monaco Knight 38 PDQ
Ready Brute Elite-2016 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Camper Ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post

Good to know the surge protector thieves out there are smart enough to steal quality equipment! Mine will do the basics, won't get stolen, and is better than nothing at all... which is what I'm running now.
Crack heads and meth addicts will steal anything they can get a few bucks for. Hopefully they're not prowling campgrounds. Still, I'd chain it to the power pedestal. I just ordered an EMS-PT50C and I'll chain it up when it's hooked up outside the coach.
__________________
2016 Itasca Navion 24J (Mercedes 3500 chassis)
Camper Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
w6pea's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chula Vista, Mexifornia
Posts: 1,010
I have a Class-C Jamboree, DW aka "She Who Must be Obeyed" and I live pretty well in it together. Not a real large one or small.
We just bought a new Progressive Industies EMS-PT30C EMS-PT30C for it we have a real cheap surge protector that we have had for several years but we carry a couple of real nice Bernina Sewing Machines. we had problems in a campground with the pedestal knocking out all power in our unit really lucky we didn't burn the coach to the ground....(we bought into a campground what a joke that was.(to remain nameless,so I don't get banned from here) The one we were members of is the only one we have ever had a problem with for power, except a KOA we spent a night in and @10pm it was still 105f outside)


I was going to buy a Ems-PT50C, but only having 30amp service and costing a 100 green-stamps more I can sell it if we ever get a new RV with 50amp service.
__________________
Remember "Without Truck's......America Stops" RVM129
"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the "Real Marines".
Major General Chesty Puller, USMC -
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Full Timing
Posts: 154
We have the EMS-PT50C, never locked it and haven't worried about it.
I do have to say I'm very glad they have a lifetime warranty because in the 5 years I've owned it I've sent it back 7 times. One time was because of a lighting strike so I can't really count that time but the other 6 times were for failures.
__________________
Here's where we are
bthomforde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Camper Ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomforde View Post
We have the EMS-PT50C, never locked it and haven't worried about it.
I do have to say I'm very glad they have a lifetime warranty because in the 5 years I've owned it I've sent it back 7 times. One time was because of a lighting strike so I can't really count that time but the other 6 times were for failures.
7 times in 5 years? Makes me wonder what it's being subjected to, to fail so many times. Did they tell you what were the 6 other "failures"?
__________________
2016 Itasca Navion 24J (Mercedes 3500 chassis)
Camper Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #25
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post

7 times in 5 years? Makes me wonder what it's being subjected to, to fail so many times. Did they tell you what were the 6 other "failures"?
X2 on that question.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
sfrantz's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 271
portable / installed

I've had both the portable and the installed versions, and I much prefer the installed one.

1) Rain kept getting into the portable unit.
2) It was bulky and awkward while hooking up and disconnecting.
3) Don't have to worry at all that someone will steal it or damage it.

I definitely wouldn't plug in without it. Need an EMS not just a surge suppresser. Also, Progressive Industries has terrific customer service - really amazing.

Stephen
__________________
2008 National Pacifica 40D + 2007 Odyssey & 2 Segways
FMCA #F415856 & Thousand Trails Elite
Right, left, straight, or stay....decision of the day
sfrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #27
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrantz View Post
I've had both the portable and the installed versions, and I much prefer the installed one.

1) Rain kept getting into the portable unit.
2) It was bulky and awkward while hooking up and disconnecting.
3) Don't have to worry at all that someone will steal it or damage it.

I definitely wouldn't plug in without it. Need an EMS not just a surge suppresser. Also, Progressive Industries has terrific customer service - really amazing.

Stephen
My portable is installed in the bay and satisfies all three of your requirements and I can take it to my next MH .
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Camper Ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post

My portable is installed in the bay and satisfies all three of your requirements and I can take it to my next MH .
How did you install yours? Any photos? I have the 50 amp portable model on order and am thinking of installing it in the bay.
Thanks!
__________________

__________________
2016 Itasca Navion 24J (Mercedes 3500 chassis)
Camper Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.