Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
I have a Class-C Jamboree, DW aka "She Who Must be Obeyed" and I live pretty well in it together. Not a real large one or small.
We just bought a new Progressive Industies EMS-PT30C EMS-PT30C for it we have a real cheap surge protector that we have had for several years but we carry a couple of real nice Bernina Sewing Machines. we had problems in a campground with the pedestal knocking out all power in our unit really lucky we didn't burn the coach to the ground....(we bought into a campground what a joke that was.(to remain nameless,so I don't get banned from here) The one we were members of is the only one we have ever had a problem with for power, except a KOA we spent a night in and @10pm it was still 105f outside)

I was going to buy a Ems-PT50C, but only having 30amp service and costing a 100 green-stamps more I can sell it if we ever get a new RV with 50amp service.

We got our EMS-PT30C yesterday by UPS. Now to get a Python cable lock @ Home Depot tomorrow.

"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
We got our EMS-PT30C yesterday by UPS. Now to get a Python cable lock @ Home Depot tomorrow.
It would seem logical for the PT to plug into the Marinco outlet inside the electric bay, then power cord to PT and then to pedestal. Is there some reason why this wouldn't work (because it would eliminate security issues)?

Old 05-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #45
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In my case I would have to modify the cable going into my electrical equipment as it is hard wired. Other than that I see no reason why it could not be done.

I have a 3 foot chain. I padlock one end to the PT-50 and the other wraps around the pedestal and locks to the chain. Yep! Bolt cutters would take care of chain or locks but it is only there as a deterrent for the not so smart thieves. We are not really concerned about the people staying in the RV park but the drive throughs in the middle of the night.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #46

Thanks, Wayne.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #47

I have the portable 50 version, and also a hardwired cable (into a reel.) What I do is plug it into the PT and leave it in the bay, and use my extender 50amp cable to run from the PT out to the post. That way the PT is protected from weather and eyes.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We have the PI PT50C also. We solved the rain intrusion and theft potentials through buying a heavy-guage Camco 50A 25ft extension cord on Amazon.

We plug shore cord into PT50C ..and keep that inside Bay. The PT50C is then plugged into one end of the heavy guage 50A extension cord. The other end of the extension cord is the only thing outside the closed bay, and the only thing attached at the pedestal.

We position the PT50C so the LED readout is visible when Bay door is open. We usually watch the initial LED for a short time and see L1 L2 info, then close and lock bay door.

Can't take credit for this solution, found it on a forum. It works great, no voltage loss, no heat on connection in Bay. These forums are a great resource. Thanks again to whomever posted this solution in the first forum posting

Safe Travels to All
Old 05-29-2015, 05:48 PM   #49
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had rain intrusion one time on my PT-50C and it was the seal where the short pigtail goes into the box. Progressive Industries replaced the seal. Then, I took plumber's tape and wrapped it around that same area. I since have never had rain get into the box. I'd suggest taping that area regardless, just in case.

p.s., the PT-50C has saved us several times over the years. Stories upon request.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #50

I also have the 30A portable and a python lock. Works great. Alerted me to an open ground at home and shut off power to the rig. Good thing, because when I plugged in directly, the trailer had a hot skin. ?The other advantage of the portable is, if it malfunctions, you can still plug in directly, without having to take things apart and bypass the hardwired unit.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:51 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
In my case I would have to modify the cable going into my electrical equipment as it is hard wired. Other than that I see no reason why it could not be done.

I have a 3 foot chain. I padlock one end to the PT-50 and the other wraps around the pedestal and locks to the chain. Yep! Bolt cutters would take care of chain or locks but it is only there as a deterrent for the not so smart thieves. We are not really concerned about the people staying in the RV park but the drive throughs in the middle of the night.
I have not gotten my Python Lock, I don't care what you lock it with, if they want to steal it they are going to take. Locks only keep "Honest People Honest"
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #52
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Patrick, that is absolutely true and about anything one thinks is secure. MH Doors, bays, surge guards, etc.

My personal belief is that the drive through non-RV'ers do not typically carry bolt cutters with them. They are looking for the items that are left loose around the RV's or unlocked cars with items inside. I don't have any trepidations on the RV'ers themselves.

So putting a lock around my PT-50C gives me peace of mind, just like locking the door on the MH when we go sight seeing. It is just a deterrent. Makes it a little harder for the perpetrator looking to steal something, and maybe by adding a little time to their thievery. Hopefully good neighbors will scare them away.