Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Progressive Industries EMS-PTC30C problems

Our 2 year old portable unit quit passing power to the motorhome again last weekend while camping. It was misting rain. Error code was E 0. Had to send it back last summer because suddenly 400 volts was showing at home! P.I.'s finding was moisture inside. The unit has never been exposed to a hard rain while away and is stored under a shed at home.

Isn't this thing supposed to be "weather resistant"? What do others with portables do to prevent moisture issues?
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
Community Administrator

I installed my portable in the compartment by splicing the power cord and adding a male and female plug.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1453134189.467289.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	116762

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Not enough room in the bay or I would have installed a hard wired.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #4

I have the 50 amp model. It is hanging exposed to the weather right now. I am in South Florida and we have had some torrential rain in the past few days. My PT50 hasn't hiccupped.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I usually tape a piece of plastic such as a grocery bag around it just as a precaution.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My other company unit developed a moisture inside issue.. I let it dry out and it returned to normal service,, up to yesterday when I suddenly noticed NO POWER... Went out and it was counting down.. Yup, power flicker happened and it did it's job properly protecting me from a short term (just long enough to tear up an A/C if I'd had 'em running) power fail.

I re-sealed it and then got out my bag sealer.. Cut a length of plastic tube (Will explain)( long enough to go over the plug, the body of the unit and beyond The plug is inside the box, under a "hood" (the box door) and water runs downhill so the electronics are now 100% protected.

The plastic tube is the "Roll" type bags for my Foodsaver, this is a long (VERY LONG) tube of heat-seal bag material. Normally you cut it and seal one end (i did seal the top end, but had to punch the prongs of the plug through the bag)
Old 01-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #7

I had the same issue with my 50amp portable model. It was showing high voltage error but was also showing 123 volts on each leg, but it would not let the unit trip the relay to work. Ended up plugging direct for that trip and sent the unit in for service after talking to their tech support. They reported moisture inside repaired it and sent it back no charge. I now zip tie a small garbage bag over it and haven't had any issues again, it's been about a year. Defiantly would not concise it waterproof as I have herd of this problem a few times but still happy with the unit.
Jandringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have been using a 50a portable for years, without incident. We have been in some torrential rains and not had a problem. The portables were designed to be in the rain. How did PI answer your concerns?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Kept the unit in the house for over a week,hoping it would dry out and pass power from the pedastal here - no go. So called PI,talked and sent the unit back to PI again yesterday at my expense of $11.57 postage. They refused to mail me a postage free label since I bought the unit more than 6 month ago. I explained it was less that 6 months since the last return to no avail.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
my 50a portable had moisture that you could see though the plastic window. Returned,repaired no charge.
papa&susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:35 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On those units, E0 means there were no errors detected in the AC service to your unit and is the code that is provided if the service you have connected to is good. You need to contact PI for their advice in the next steps as somthing is wrong with your unit.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGHP View Post
Kept the unit in the house for over a week,hoping it would dry out and pass power from the pedastal here - no go. So called PI,talked and sent the unit back to PI again yesterday at my expense of $11.57 postage. They refused to mail me a postage free label since I bought the unit more than 6 month ago. I explained it was less that 6 months since the last return to no avail.
I am disappointed to hear that you had to pay for postage to return the unit for repair. I realize this is common practice for most repairs, but I am still surprised and disappointed.

I am very fond of these units. I am fortunate enough to have room in my storage bay to keep it inside 24/7. I run a separate power cord from the unit to the electric to protect it from the weather.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
P.I. returned my unit to me and it is working as it should...for now. Invoice states they replaced the gasket and screws again.

Tags
ems, problems