Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I have had State Farm for my house, cars and motorcycles for over 30 years. When we purchased a travel trailer I insured it with State Farm. When we purchased our motorhome about 15 months ago I insured it with State Farm. Policy price for $100,000 replacement is less than $600.00 per year. I do live in Texas in a rural area with very low crime rate and it does make a difference.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #30

Count me among those who have been hit with mounting rate increases by Progressive. Just got my renewal and it increased over 14% - more than 36% higher than three years ago. No claims, no accidents, no tickets...and no way I plan on renewing before comparing rates with at least three other companies.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossilhog View Post
Try American Modern Insurance American Modern Insurance Group I saved a bundle. Had over 4K in storm damage a few yearas ago, adjuster showed up the next day, got a check 2 dayas later.
Be aware they won't insure a motor home if it is more than 34' in length... At least that's what their online quote form said when I tried to fill it out a few minutes ago.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
While I pay for only the bare minimum insurance required, regardless, I cannot find insurance cheaper than Allstate.
(Maybe it helps that I've been with them for 35 years?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	tiffinins.gif
Views:	81
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	4303
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Be aware they won't insure a motor home if it is more than 34' in length... At least that's what their online quote form said when I tried to fill it out a few minutes ago.
I have American Modern on my 36.5 ft Tradewinds. I've only made one claim and that was roadside service. They called me when we got home to be sure I filed the claim. Check was in the mail the next day.

They were the least expensive when we were shopping and I haven't had any outlandish increases over the last three years.

Dick
Old 06-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
I work for an insurance company that writes auto (but not motorhomes). Every company "rolls their own cigar" on how they compute rates. Usually it is based on loss actuarials. From what has been stated here, my best guess is it could be due to your international license. My company surcharges international licenses in our rating formula due to our increased frequency of claims on drivers with international licenses. At one point, we would not write coverage on anyone with an International license at all, but later decided to accept them, albeit with a surcharge. An increased factor can be applied to just one coverage (i.e. liability) or they may choose to apply it to all coverages.

You'll probably never figure it out, as rating has become so complicated today that computers are needed to figure it out with tons of data crunching. The customer service people you talk with usually don't have a clue as to "why". Unfortunately, companies tend to lump all "International" licenses in one boat, when in reality it may be due to "International license" losses from one country and not others (i.e. from Mexico, but not England or vice versa).
Old 06-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Like you, Progressive just gave me my renewal. It was about 30% higher than the last premium. Flo must be getting paid a bunch of $s, they think we are made of money or are too dumb to use the Internet to check the competition. Just about every other company is $500+ cheaper than Progressive. I chose to renew with Liberty Mutual.
It's not Flo. It's George Soros.

But in actuality, insurance prices should reflect loss histories. If a lot of people have torched their RV's for insurance (as some assert), then insurance rates will go up.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
If Soros is a majority shareholder, I'm finding a new company. I really don't care what it will cost!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:29 AM   #37

Progressive's Chairman (and founder) Peter Lewis is one of Soros' best friends.

Soros is believed to be a signifificant stockholder in Progressive, but not enough to require an SEC filing.

Geico is owned by Warren Buffett.

On the other hand, I hate Sears (bad experience years ago), but we had Allstate Insurance for a number of years.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #38

Wish I'd known Progressives politics earlier!! They're gonna be canceled!!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Darryl,
If you could pass on to the management of the insurance company you work for. That there is at least one customer (me) who would like to stay with an auto insurance company for more than one year. My myopic view is that auto insurance companies sign up new customers with a low ball rate and then sock it to them at renewal time. With the Internet, it is very easy for a customer to leave an insurer. I don't leave for a few bucks, but when an insurer wants hundreds more than anyone else, it's time for me to move on. This low ball initial rate seems to be industry wide. I've switched auto insurers every year for the last several years because of large rate increases. FYI, there is nothing, on my part, to give an insurer cause to raise my rate.

Please let your management know we are not dumb customers that automatically pay without checking around. Also, if you can, I'd like to know if your management feels it is easier to keep a customer or get a new one. Feel free to pass this post on to your management. If they are a company that charges competitive prices, I'll renew with them every year. I'm getting really tired of having to find a new insurer every year.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Darryl,
If you could pass on to the management of the insurance company you work for. That there is at least one customer (me) who would like to stay with an auto insurance company for more than one year. My myopic view is that auto insurance companies sign up new customers with a low ball rate and then sock it to them at renewal time. With the Internet, it is very easy for a customer to leave an insurer. I don't leave for a few bucks, but when an insurer wants hundreds more than anyone else, it's time for me to move on. This low ball initial rate seems to be industry wide. I've switched auto insurers every year for the last several years because of large rate increases. FYI, there is nothing, on my part, to give an insurer cause to raise my rate.

Please let your management know we are not dumb customers that automatically pay without checking around. Also, if you can, I'd like to know if your management feels it is easier to keep a customer or get a new one. Feel free to pass this post on to your management. If they are a company that charges competitive prices, I'll renew with them every year. I'm getting really tired of having to find a new insurer every year.
I don't know Gary, I may be dumb. I've been with AAA (cars only) in California now for 28 years
Old 06-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
If Soros is a majority shareholder, I'm finding a new company.
Yikes! Me too, even if I have to...

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to jac730
I also have american modern and I pay 400.00 per year it actually went down from 450.00 and the specialize in motorhomes
jac730 is offline   Reply With Quote