Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Political comments are off track, divisive, inappropriate, lead to nasty fights and make others feel unwelcome. Please edit out the political comments in both of your posts. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #44
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Insurance Replacement

We too are looking to replace Progressive as their rates have become ridiculous. Interestingly enough when their deductable goes down yearly for no accidents, they raise their monthly rates by that amount or more. We've had but one claim and that was for a rock pitted windshield which was filled in.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:10 AM   #45

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I posted earlier in this thread that I have huge philosophical differences with the CEO of a company that I indeed believe has gone nuts, which is the title of this thread. Companies have the right to have upper management with extreme views, and we as consumers have the right to shop elsewhere.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #46

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
I have now had a talk with Progressive in an attempt to get them to better they offer on the insurance on our motorhome and toad. The result was disappointing - they are not prepared to lower their quote at all.

For the record: All drivers have completely clean drivers licenses although all being international licenses. No tickets or violations of any kind. We have also never made an insurance claim.

"Best price" for MH and toad is $2784 annually. "Second best" price, according to our insurance broker, is $4254 annually. This is by National Interstate.

Maybe we need another insurance broker because we feel that the one that we are using is not earning his/her money. Can anyone recommend one?
Others seem to have problems with State Farm, premium wise, but we have a combination price that no other company has been able to beat. I recently shopped Allstate and several others. For our cars, the MH, a sailboat and an umbrella, the premiums are about $1,500 a year. I'm sure that it helps that we also have home owners insurance with them (where State Farm is by far the most expensive premium that I've found). The combination is still less than any of the other packages. Very few insurers will insure our sailboat and put it under the umbrella, especially when I tell them that we occasionally race it. We've been with the same agent for 20 years, have had major claims handled on cars and houses and have had nothing but excellent service.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #47

Everything is with State Farm now. I told you I was canceling Progressive!!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #48
a k

Newmar Owners Club
American Modern here
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #49

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
American Modern here
I have had National Intersate for 3 years, and the premium includes a $50 charge for roadside assitance. I have used the assistance twice, and the service they provide could not be better. The last time I used it was for a blowout on the inside rear of my coach, which also took out a brake line. They went far above and beyond what was required of them in assisting me. It's great to actually get such good service from a company these days.

My premium is due this month, so I got a quote from American Modern. They were a few dollars less, but when you take into consideration that it did not include roadside assistance, they were actually a few dollars more. It probably would have been a wash, but American Modern tacked on a %10 increase for "inexperinced operator". I don't know how much experince they require, but I am anything but inexperienced.

Is not worth the hassel of fighting with them. I'm happy with National Interstate and their phenominal roadside assitance, I'm going to stick with them.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #50

For those with big increases:

Check your credit report. Most vehicle insurers are using your credit to underwrite your vehicle insurance.
AWMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #51
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Mine came with roadside.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWMIII View Post
For those with big increases:

Check your credit report. Most vehicle insurers are using your credit to underwrite your vehicle insurance.
No change to my credit report status over the past few years.

I didn't even bother calling Progressive today to say goodbye. Found coverage through Gilbert RV Insurance for half what Progressive was going to charge.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #53
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I checked with my insurance broker today. He represents several companies. He stated that in his opinion Progressive has the best package. He stated most insurance companies are starting to raise rates. He told me that for the past few years rates were either level or went down do to competition while their underwriting costs were going up. Now demand is increasing and insurance companies are starting to recap their price increases. He told me in the long run the rates of the various companies will level out. Competition in the free market will hold prices in check I feel.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #54

To All,

RV insurance is a personal thing, BUT as a (61) year old Economics major, I can offer some advice you need to consider when researching any kind of insurance.

If the company's BEST rating is not at least AA+/A+ and ICR rating is not at least aaa/aa, do not consider it.

BEST rating is indication of financial strength and sufficient assets to operate and pay claims. ICR rating is credit worthiness.

Most traditional AUTOMOBILE insurance companies don't have a clue. They will take your money but don't really understand the RV world

Also check out epinions about insurance companies.

I am with GEICO. The policy is written like a RV policy and not a auto policy.

Their ratings are AA+/aaa, the highest you can receive.

They have been on Wards list for 19 years in a row.

Premium price is NOT an indicator of quality

Insurancenewsnet.com is a good source about companies.

Progressive has been downgraded by various ratings systems as have others.

Do your research.

NAVYBLUE
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #55

Try Foremost Insurance Co.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Tried aTwinPeaks in Ft Lauderdale, FL???
(800) 507-8467
They have done well for us since dumping Progressive. Good luck!
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote