Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
Progressive surge works

Ever since we had a post wired wrong in Kentucky several years ago and caused a water heater and a few more issues (about 750 issues ) we have worried about wiring. I bought the best surge protector I could find after a lot of research - the Progressive 50 amp portable.
Last evening when the cold front came through the Ga/NC mountains it brought some winds, lightning and a lot of rain. It also caused the power in the CG we are in to drop voltage on one leg of the 50 amp plug. It went from 121 volts to 97 and continued to drop as the rain started and I went back inside. The Progressive had shut the power down and I thought it was a general area outage until I saw lights next door and at the office. It actually shut down twice. We sat and waited and about 30 minutes or so, the voltage climbed back to the 120 area and the surge protector turned the power back on.
I don't know at what point the voltage gets low enough to cause damage nor at what point the Progressive says, 'that's low enough' and shuts it down. However if damage to equipment takes place at below a hundred then I have some neighbors who may have experienced some. Thank you Mr Fanelli and Progressive, it works like you told me it would.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
High/Low Voltage Protection
Whenever AC power falls below 104 volts, or rises above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts
down power to the RV. The EMS will monitor the power and once the AC power rises above 104
volts, or drops below the 132 volt level, the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and
then automatically restores power to the RV.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think the whole thing is NIFTY, and glad it worked for you!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #4

102 volts should be the low limit cut out , with stable power for 2mins before re-set. 132 the high side.
After 3 electrical mishaps; in one season; in my winter park , I considered surge protection a must. 50 AMP, Hardwire.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had my EMS-HW50C not let the power through because of an open neutral. One of the best things I installed in the coach.

Chuck

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:52 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
102 volts should be the low limit cut out , with stable power for 2mins before re-set. 132 the high side.
After 3 electrical mishaps; in one season; in my winter park , I considered surge protection a must. 50 AMP, Hardwire.
Not that it matters much but it cuts off at 104 VAC and comes back on after "good" power has been restored for 15 or 132 seconds (factory setting is 15). You may set to 132 depending on your A/C delay setting...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some of your neighbors may find out the hard way eventually, you can give them this link to help them with other items they should know about.
Safe travels and camping.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We recently had an unusual event. We were in Cave City, Ky, in a park and had our PT-50C plugged into commercial power. About 7 am on the dot the power went off. I looked to see if there was power and it wasn't on. I went outside and saw a flashing indicator E7. This was the first and only time I have seen this indication. It indicated that the frequency was too high. My assumption was that there was a power switchover and maybe it wasn't well coordinated by the power company. Anyhow, I shut off the power breaker and reset it and we had uninterrupted power for 2 more days. It has worked steadily here at home now for 2 months so I think the box is doing it's job and a good one at that. We are really glad to have this protection!
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltoneMagoo View Post
We recently had an unusual event. We were in Cave City, Ky, in a park and had our PT-50C plugged into commercial power. About 7 am on the dot the power went off. I looked to see if there was power and it wasn't on. I went outside and saw a flashing indicator E7. This was the first and only time I have seen this indication. It indicated that the frequency was too high. My assumption was that there was a power switchover and maybe it wasn't well coordinated by the power company. Anyhow, I shut off the power breaker and reset it and we had uninterrupted power for 2 more days. It has worked steadily here at home now for 2 months so I think the box is doing it's job and a good one at that. We are really glad to have this protection!
Good luck and safe travels!

I had this same E7 error code about a week ago. It was during a heavy thunderstorm. I emailed Progressive and got a reply.

They said this was most likely caused by an event at the power company and it happened many times when a different piece of generating equipment came on line.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I don't know at what point the voltage gets low enough to cause damage nor at what point the Progressive says, 'that's low enough' and shuts it down. However if damage to equipment takes place at below a hundred then I have some neighbors who may have experienced some. Thank you Mr Fanelli and Progressive, it works like you told me it would.
I see someone else posted the info from the owner's manual as to off/on voltages.

As for what is "Too Low" depends on many things.. the first is what is running,, A Switching converter for example should, in theory, be able to work just fine with like 50 volts... On the other hand motors are away more fussy (like the two in your air compressor) some things just shut down. Or loose lock (Electronics) the major picky stuff are the A/Cs at about a kilobuck each installed it is good.

The greater danger is if you get a surge when it comes back,, OFTEN if something causes power to go low for a period, when it comes back it is like a wave on the beach, It goes HIGH, and I mean HIGH for a short time (Second perhaps) since under those conditions the Progressive Dynamics "Manager" type surge guard is still holding you off line, it is thus:
1: Protecting you big time
2: correctly called a Surge Guard.

Of course, since you have it plugged in , even as I have a competitor's product. You will never know about that surge.. Your neighbors though.. Might.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #11

I made the purchase of the 50A Progressive control unit and use it all the time. so far have not had any real issues where it shut down, but very glad to hear it has saved potential damage to others.

I am amazed how when I go to a park how many do not use any type protector. I consider it a wise investment to ensure I do not have unexpected damage. I like that it is more than just a surge protector, but is a full electrical system guard.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I must have got lemon of the lemons.

I have written the president of Progressive Industries regarding our unit (s).

Warning.. We have the Progressive EMS PT-50C Smart surge suppressor and it is a piece of junk. On its fourth trip in for service in the year since we bought it. Apparently these units have a problem with moisture infiltration. TBF on last box recieved was less than a month. Not exactly giving me a warm feeling that it will actually work when it has to. Plus we have spent over $100+ shipping it back and forth for warranty service and never a prepay offered.

Not a happy customer.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Ever since we had a post wired wrong in Kentucky several years ago and caused a water heater and a few more issues (about 750 issues ) we have worried about wiring. I bought the best surge protector I could find after a lot of research - the Progressive 50 amp portable.
Last evening when the cold front came through the Ga/NC mountains it brought some winds, lightning and a lot of rain. It also caused the power in the CG we are in to drop voltage on one leg of the 50 amp plug. It went from 121 volts to 97 and continued to drop as the rain started and I went back inside. The Progressive had shut the power down and I thought it was a general area outage until I saw lights next door and at the office. It actually shut down twice. We sat and waited and about 30 minutes or so, the voltage climbed back to the 120 area and the surge protector turned the power back on.

Yep!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #14

We have used our built-in protector at perhaps 30 campgrounds without a problem. Last week at a private site I plugged in, it went through its test sequence, then connected power to the MH as usual. About 10 seconds later, it kicked off. Then it began its test cycle again and kicked back on. It kept repeating this sequence, so I used the 30 Amp circuit instead without any problem. The error code was always zero.

It seemed that a fault was only detected when a load was applied. Loose wiring connection at the site?