Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2005, 01:52 PM   #1

Hi

I'm seriously thinking about changing my coverage from State Farm to Progressive on my 2004 Mountain Aire. Primarily because of the Total Replacement Coverage. Has anyone with Progressive actually had their motorhome totaled? I'd be interested in how they were to deal with in that situation. Did you get a new model and options that was exactly the same as what you had? How much of a hassle was it? I've been with State Farm for over 45 years and had excellent service from them on numerous cars, motorcycles, life, house and boat insurance. I kind of feel like I'm deserting an old friend. BUT, they don't offer Total Replacement Coverage, only depreciated value.

I would appreciate any and all opinions about Progressive.

Thanks

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2005, 01:52 PM   #2

Hi

I'm seriously thinking about changing my coverage from State Farm to Progressive on my 2004 Mountain Aire. Primarily because of the Total Replacement Coverage. Has anyone with Progressive actually had their motorhome totaled? I'd be interested in how they were to deal with in that situation. Did you get a new model and options that was exactly the same as what you had? How much of a hassle was it? I've been with State Farm for over 45 years and had excellent service from them on numerous cars, motorcycles, life, house and boat insurance. I kind of feel like I'm deserting an old friend. BUT, they don't offer Total Replacement Coverage, only depreciated value.

I would appreciate any and all opinions about Progressive.

Thanks

Jack

Old 08-04-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Jack,

I have no direct experience with Progressive but I was under the impression that the replacement coverage they sell was only available for new RVs that are up to one model year old. Yours may be less than a year old but would they consider it new for the purposes of writing an insurance policy?

If you can buy it on an '04, I think the replacement coverage would provide you with a new, untitled RV if yours is five model years old or less at the time it's deemed a total loss. If it's older than five years when the loss occurs, the payout will be only be the purchase price as reflected on the declarations page.

The declared purchase price value is supposed to include all permanently attached equipment, tax, title and license. If you add extra equipment, you'd have the responsibility to increase the declared value.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:07 PM   #4

Richard

Here is a direct quote from the Progressive web site: "This coverage is only available for new RVs, up to one model year old."

I think the key phrase here is one model year. I would think I would still fall under that definition. I'm sure that's something an agent would point out to me. I was just trying to get a feeling for how good they are on handleing a claim before I approached an agent.
Thanks for your reply.

Jack

Old 08-04-2005, 04:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I got an estimate from Progressive here in PA today on our 04 MH and 2 cars, it was 300 higher than our GMAC. I wanted a back up plan if GMAC raises their insurance on short notice. Our GMAC is replacemrnt 1st five years but Progressive gave no time line on theirs. I used to have National Interstate who have full replacement but their raise here in PA several years ago was very high.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Haven't had any claims, other thanb windshield, with Progressive. I started out with GMAC in 2003 because they were a tad less but by the time I got the policy there was an "adjustment" and they weren't less. 6 months later they went up (no claims) so I switched to Progressive, who was less. After my first year with Progressive the rate actually went down, instead of up. When I did my windshield claim they were very fast and friendly. I've heard similar stories from others with major damage so I wouldn't be overly concerned about them welching if a payout should ever become necessary.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 06:34 AM   #7

I also got rid of State Farm on my 3 month old MH and went to Gilbert RV (Mendota Ins) and saved a bundle ($900)but was told that I could not get replacement insurance because the mh had been previously insured. I was saving enough that I did not complain but it did leave me a little aggrevated after being quoted full replacement. Just my experience with a new MH.

05 Excursion on a Spartan
Bruce and Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:20 PM   #8

No experience with total, but have had Progressive on 2 new MHs. Like the disappearing decductible. Deductable reduces each year with no claims - disappears after year 5. I had an awning sailed in the wind and a cracked windshield. The claims man came, took a couple pictures, checked the estimate I had and wrote me a check. Whole thing took about 15 minutes. Since I'd had no claims for 5 years, deductible was 0. Have had a renewal since and rates did not increase.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:15 AM   #9

Just a followup message for those that might be interested. I've had a couple meetings with an independent agent that handles Progressive. One of which included a conference call with a Progressive underwriter. The results of these meetings have convinced me I'm better off staying with State Farm. Here are the reasons: (Keep in mind this is for identical coverage, just adding the total replacement) This info may vary by state.
Initially Progressive was $250 a year higher. When you consider they don't offer multiple vehicle discounts, no off season suspension available, no senior driver discounts available, My motorhome is a 2004 model but was purchased in Sept 2003. Progressive would only give me a little over three years total replacement coverage. (ie: five years starting at purchase date.) In total, it would cost me a little over $700 per year just to get total replacement coverage with Progressive. I then checked with GMAC and found them to be $400 higher than Progressive. Then when you consider all my other insurance is with State Farm and the advantage of dealing with one agent, I've decided to stay with State Farm.

Jack

Old 08-22-2005, 04:45 AM   #10

Excuse me for jumping in here, but I just HAVE to add my comments.
This thread, started by Jack Foster, is a prime example of what iRV2.com is all about. First a member posts an intelligently worded TITLE so others will understand the subject. Then he asks an equally well thought out question. Then several members give really good answers. Then, and perhaps most importantly, the original poster has the courtesy to come back to thank the others for their help by posting a summation of WHY he chose a particular course of action.
All I can add is a hearty THANK YOU ALL!! for making this the most helpful forum I've ever found. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:46 PM   #11

Not sure about Progressive but my ins is thru RV America and I have what is called "Agreed Value"> I just purchased a 2000 class C and the agreed value means that if totaled, they will give me the purchase price I paid as long as I can show the proper paperwork

Starr (Dog
cal47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:36 PM   #12

Cal

In my research of what I have (State Farm) and Progressive and GMAC agreed value is defined as what it would cost to replace the coach exactly as it was at the time it was totaled. It's just another fancy / confusing way of saying depreciated value. In other words, whatever coaches identical to yours are selling for, is what is the "agreed value". If you want to pursue this further, contact your agent and see if you can get an exact dollar amount from him as to what the agreed value on your coach is. I'll bet they won't give it to you because the value varies depending on the current market for your coach. In some cases (I can with State Farm) I can set a value higher than current retail value, BUT it has a dramatic affect on my premium.

Jack

Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
RV America is the name of the company advertising in magazines and at dealers. They seek insurance through the best/lowest priced insurance companies, one of them being Progressive. I have AAA or Auto Club in California and was given a quote by the nealer when I picked up my new DP a few weeks ago. The three biggest items that sold RV America for me was there deductible was only $500.00 vs $2000.00 for AAA with similar dollar values and price. RV America also offers the replacement cost coverage and campground insurance....I still have alot of cars and a house that helps me with the multi-unit discount with AAA.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote