Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #1

Propane BBQ hook up to main tank

Anyone heard of this? Connected propane between tank and regulator on a 2002 Expedition. The connection is on the side of the tank. Everything works fine for 5 minutes, then flame goes out. I disconnect the hose (quick coupling) and the hose is pressurized. BBQ works fine on canisters. Placed the supply hose in a loop about 3' above the BBQ, 5' above the tank, and no change. 5 min.and it's done. Seems liquified propane is getting to the BBQ regulator. It's a little cool, but not icy. BBQ is a Weber Q200.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

These set ups are pretty common and I don't think they are rocket science... although I certainly don't understand how it all works. One of our experts will be along soon I'm sure to help you out.

We're glad you found us.
Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry914 View Post
Anyone heard of this? Connected propane between tank and regulator on a 2002 Expedition. The connection is on the side of the tank. Everything works fine for 5 minutes, then flame goes out. I disconnect the hose (quick coupling) and the hose is pressurized. BBQ works fine on canisters. Placed the supply hose in a loop about 3' above the BBQ, 5' above the tank, and no change. 5 min.and it's done. Seems liquified propane is getting to the BBQ regulator. It's a little cool, but not icy. BBQ is a Weber Q200.
Exactly how did you connect between the tank and the regulator? I use one of these Stay A While Tee - Mr. Heater F273752 - Propane Accessories - Camping World and have no problems. Liquid propane will damage a regulator.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I have the same device as the above poster and it works great.

Some regulators will shut down then the flow of gas becomes too great and need to be "reset", First I would close the main tank valve, bleed of the gas in the hose going to the Weber grill, close the valve on the grill, SLOWLY open the main tank shut off valve and try to light the grill in your normal fashion.

What is the ambient temperature? If the tank is running near empty you can get the symptom you are experiencing.

Let us know.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, the connection you cite should NEVER have liquid propane in it, it's a gas only connection.. UNLESS that fitting is in the fuel line for a Generator.

Second, by the time it travels through 10' of hose it should have vaporized even if it is Liquid.

Possible issue: What is the air temp and do you have propane or butane in that tank? Many who fill up in the overheated south find they have Butane.. butaine like all liquids, cools as it evaporates into vapor, and the freezing point is not far removed from water.

Propane, also cools as it evaporates. but the freezing point is around -40, your choice of C or F, (Makes no differnece at -40) so if you are out there lighting the BBQ, and it's say in teh 30's Butane can do exactly what you describe.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
If your Expedition is like my Providence, that line is hooked in after the tank regulator. You will only get low preasure just like your stove. For a grill to work the line needs to be hooked ahead of the tank regulator and regulated with a regulator on the grill.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
If your Expedition is like my Providence, that line is hooked in after the tank regulator. You will only get low preasure just like your stove. For a grill to work the line needs to be hooked ahead of the tank regulator and regulated with a regulator on the grill.
100 % correct. Great point to bring up.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #8

On my pre owned 03 Pace Arrow there is a 1 inch fine thread "T" on my Class A propane tank. I assume its for a extend a stay or a gas grill? Any ideas?

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #9

Not sure of all the issues here but I bought the Extend-A-Stay a long time ago and it works great and also let's you run your coach off a portable bottle.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
If the grill has its own regulator (which is what I assume since the OP says it runs on canisters, which I also assume to mean to be the disposable ones), then you are right that the Tee goes BEFORE the MH regulator. If our assumptions are incorrect and the OP is running a grill without its own regulator, then the Tee goes AFTER the MH regulator.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
One other thing to consider - a bad hose. While I run my BBQ off of a 10lb tank, I had the same problem with it lighting and then shutting off within a minute or two. BBQ ran great on the little tanks. I had the tank and valve checked by a propane dealer an no problems were found. I could not get a sustained flow through the hose. I replaced the hose and everything works as it should.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have two 12' lines (one with 1-20 connectors for HP and one with Quick connects for LP). My rig has two connections curbside (a 1-20 connector plumbed before the regulator and a quick connector plumbed after the regulator). Point is that when I connect the hoses, there is air in the line(s) that has to be purged. Rather than release propane I just watch the appliance (grill, heater, etc.) knowing it will stop and I have to re-light it until the air is purged.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Went back and re-read the Original post to be sure, but he specifically stated the "T" was between the tank and the regulator (Where it belongs).

Good point though, Many rigs have low pressure outlets.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Went back and re-read the Original post to be sure, but he specifically stated the "T" was between the tank and the regulator (Where it belongs).

Good point though, Many rigs have low pressure outlets.
Thanks for all of the help. I did't buy a pre packaged kit. I have a "T" in between the shutoff and the coach regulator, which is attached to a hose mounted to the outside of the coach. From there I have a quick disconnect coupling that has a shutoff built in. When using the BBQ, it is a constant flame similar to the bottles, then after 4 or 5 minutes it slowly dies out. If I disconnect the hose immediate, it releases all of the pressure in the hose and the gas shoots out in a gas/liquid state. Immediately reconnecting the hose produces no gas through the burners

If I leave the hose connected and the valve on on the BBQ, the fuel dissipates and there is no pressure in the hose if I disconnect. I can then re connect the hose, and the BBQ works as designed for another 4 or 5 minutes. It will repeat this process over and over. P

I am confused about the location of the shut off/ regulator as it is on the side of a horizontal tank, and seems it would be below the liquid line until less than 1/2 full. Obviously it works for the rest of the coach.

Thanks again for all of the input. I like to try and understand how these things work.

Tags
propane, tank