Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the help I thought the detector was more discriminating. In our motor home the propane detector is located across the isle from the refrigerator.

For most of this summer the refrigerator has been having a hard time keeping up. The other day the cooling unit failed! We came home to a bad ammonia smell and the propane detector beeping it's heart out.

I had to disconnect the detector.
It's hot as heck here in Pennsylvania, stay cool.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Once yo smell ammonia, the cooling unit is history. You can go with the Amish cooling unit and keep the cabinet or put in a whole new refrigerator.

Ken

Old 10-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We replaced the detector last week and not had single activation since. We could not find a CCI Controls detector so had to modify the mounting hole. CCI is OOB.
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had the problem as described earlier - propane alarm started screaming around 1 am and every hour or so thereafter. We could not smell any propane but in the morning we called a mobile rv technician to come out and diagnose our problem. It turned out that the dealer filled (and probably over-filled) our propane tank in cold weather and when we got to hotter temperatues, the pressure gauge released small amounts of propane that was detected by our alarm. The technician ran our propane stove for 10 minutes or so to get it to the correct pressure and then did a leak test. No leak and no faulty propane alarm so far.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
I had one do the same thing. Read it somewhere (I think in the paperwork) but they need to be replaced every 5 or 6 years.
Yep, 5 years for ours, it actually lasted for 10 years before it started waking us up in the middle of the night.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyd111 View Post
Low voltage
This is what I am betting. Mine goes off when I unplug the batteries.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:44 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
If you have had a propane leak you might want to replace you CO detector too. Propane contains acetylene and it is a large contributor to CO element contamination also same for ammonia. Se my blog entry.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:02 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsagal View Post
We had the problem as described earlier - propane alarm started screaming around 1 am and every hour or so thereafter. We could not smell any propane but in the morning we called a mobile rv technician to come out and diagnose our problem. It turned out that the dealer filled (and probably over-filled) our propane tank in cold weather and when we got to hotter temperatues, the pressure gauge released small amounts of propane that was detected by our alarm. The technician ran our propane stove for 10 minutes or so to get it to the correct pressure and then did a leak test. No leak and no faulty propane alarm so far.
I'm glad you found the propane problem and got it corrected that could get nasty if you let it go thinking the detector was bad. It's always good to have an expert look over our shoulders.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsagal View Post
The propane tank relief valve is on the tank and should have leaked out during the heat of the day, not during the cooler nights.

Along with that, propane is heavier then air and should have fell to the ground and drifted away from your rig, not up into the living spaces.

It just doesn't add up to me. Had you just arrived and plugged in, with low batteries ?

When batteries are charging they create hydrogen gas.

Hydrogen gas is lighter then air and can drift up into the living area, especially in the calm of the night, setting off the gas alarm.

Just opening and closing the doors, the next morning, would have cleared it.

Just my thoughts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:52 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Someone revived a 5 year old thread .
but good reminder about the sophisticated timers on these detectors where they ALWAYS fail in the middle of the night

ours was from batteries over charging right under the rear bath detector and it must have been marginal anyway so got this one from Amazon and so two wires and 10 minutes was able to sleep through the night !
Old 02-08-2016, 04:33 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Twin Boat is exactly right.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:05 PM   #26

Mine was giving me false alarms. I turned off the propane and I still got the alarm at random times. I just replaced it about a month ago and no alarms.

TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane