Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
I have a 2004 Class A with a horizontal frame mount 15 gal propane tank. On a recent trip I got intermittent low flows of propane and low flame length at the furnace, stove, and hot water heater. It would slow down, but not completely stop. Then back to normal. This went on for a couple of hours.

I pulled the regulator and replaced it. Everything seemed to be fixed and then it happened one more time couple of days later for a few minutes and then went away on it's own.

I had a small amount of rust colored liquid drain out of the low pressure side of the regulator. It was oily in consistency. After 4 years could that be expected??? Or do I have a contaminated tank?

If the tank is contaminated is there a way to flush it?

Any ideas for trouble shooting?

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B Ford V10
Towing PT Cruiser or Ranger 520VX
shastaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Ron, Yep you had contaminated propane and the regulator did it's job. If you had not replaced it and if there was enough contamination it woulld have eventually totally shut you down---by design it is a self destructing device. Lower flame with orange color is the result of contamination. All of the appliances you mentioned use the proane as a gas, if you had a propane generator the propane would be converted to a liquid and then the regukator would have really kicked in and you probably would have seen much more brown oily substance.

I would check with a propane dealer that sells propane appliances in addition to propane itself as to whether you only had propane contamination or is the tank involved. I thinkyou will find that it is only the propane itself: BUT, that is purely opinion based on past experience with contaminated propane. Ken.

Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ron,
Try going here and read a thread on the same subject. I had the same problem, got the same liquid out of the regulator. Changed the regulator and so far everything is okay.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Thanks for the info guys. I hope I have it solved. We will find out this weekend. I am headed up into the snow so we will see.
2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B Ford V10
Towing PT Cruiser or Ranger 520VX
shastaron is offline   Reply With Quote