Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
propane level

I took my rig down to fill the propane tank. The manual guage on the tank was reading 2/3 full but it only took 1/10 of a gallon to fill it. The gjage reads full now. Is there something wrong with the guage or has anyone else experienced this?

Inside the rig at the control panel, there is a button for propane and it was reading full (four led lights). I thought that guage would be the in inaccurate one.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #2

Inside the propane tank , there is a float, that moves a magnet around to move the manual tank gauge and the rheostat that signals the remote read out. Accuracy of both gauges is dependant on the coach being level and the amount of capacity of the tank is dependant on the outside temperatures. If you look closely at the manual gauge , you can make out a temperature correction scale for the full reading. Moving the coach , and the temperature around the tank will change the reading, a fair amount.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
On any given propane tank if properly filled will show about 3/4 full on a manual
gauge because the tank is filled to 80 percent with the other 20 percent left for
expansion.
Filling the tank over the 80 percent is very dangerous as bad things can happen
the reason the tank is considered full at 80 percent.
As to the remote gauge if you find one that reads anywhere close to accurate
it is one of a kind.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
As to the remote gauge if you find one that reads anywhere close to accurate
it is one of a kind.
I wish I'd said that.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, my inside gauge is full at 75% tank full. I think my tank is 30 gal, but will only take 24 gal, or 80% of capacity which is max for any propane tank. When I need acuracy, I check tank gauge, but I don't trust that a great deal either
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Have your tank topped off, then adjust the inside gauge to read "full"!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our on dash has read full since we got the rig last year. It has never moved full or empty. I have to look at the gauge on the tank to get a reading. All the other gauges on the dash seem to be pretty accurate. I'm guessing after 31 years it's getting tired.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
As to the remote gauge if you find one that reads anywhere close to accurate it is one of a kind.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #9

jtroop, The "fill to 80 percent" is the standard when filling the propane tank or tanks. The key is what the operator uses to determine what 80 percent really is.

In my case the difference is approximately two gallons. Two gallons on my tank is approximately 20 percent, not an issue in the summer but in the winter it could be a couple of days worth of heat.

I have a 12.1 gallon ASME horizontal tank with both a tank mounted dial gauge and an inside panel display. The tank like probably all ASME tanks has what some call a "spit" valve or overflow valve also.

This I have noticed if an operator uses the spit valve to determine the 80 percent the dial gauge shows Full, panel gauge shows full. If they stop when the tank mounted dial gauge shows 3/4 then panel lights still show fill but tank gauge shows 3/4.

My regular residential propane provider will fill my tank by using the tank mounted gauge and stop at 3/4 full.

I can then take the Motor Home to Southern States (same day as a test) and request they fill the propane tank. In watching their operator he used the Spit valve to determine the 80 percent full. Now tank gauge read Full and panel lights read Full.

On my tank the 3/4 full mark is approximately 7 gallons and the full mark is 9 gallons, when some liquid comes out of the spit valve the tank is 80 percent at 9 gallons.

What method the operator uses to determine full is up to them, they are the ones responsible.

I do not know if this helps just passing on some personal experience.
ReelTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane