Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2016, 10:21 PM   #1

Propane Line Icing Up

What's going on here?? Normal?? Total newb here so any and all advice welcome. Just bought a 2000 Overland Lorado and working out the bugs...

I'm thinking there's a leak here, I get the faintest smell of propane when I stick my face right in there close, but wondering if I'm convincing myself there's a leak because of what I see.

I've been running the heater and everything seems to be working fine, with no smell in the coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #2

Where are you?
Is it Humid ?
Moisture in air will condense and then freeze on regulator

Not humid.........
Has tank been recently filled?
How Full is it---------liquid propane getting into regulator will cause freezing

Or you got some Butane.

Or tank sat empty......moisture formed on inside walls and is now mixed with the propane.
Propane dealer can add methyl alcohol to get rid of high moisture

Old 01-08-2016, 11:11 PM   #3

Very Humid here lately in Fresno, CA...rain and fog...I'll chalk it up to the humidity for now. The gauge reads 3/4 full, the rest I'm not sure about since I just got it a few days ago. Going back to the dealer in a few days to address a couple other squawks, I'll make sure I mention this too. Thanks for the reply O.B.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Moisture inside the tank doesn't cause frost on the outside. That is strictly a function of gas line/regulator temperature and ambient humidity. A gas leak can lower the metal temperature in the immediate area, so that's a possibility. But so can a high volume of gas flowing through the line & regulator, as would be the case if an LP furnace is running a lot. Or a LP water heater. Both consume a lot of propane, which means a lot of LP is vaporizing and thus lowering the temperature.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:59 AM   #5

Your propane is working like a refrigerant. As it expands into the bigger line, after going thru the regulator, it is absorbing heat and carrying it down the line. The line and regulator cool and moisture condenses on it and freezes.

During the Freon ban and change over, propane was used as a replacement refrigerant.

I actually recharged my central air with it. It came with a sticker saying not to use a flame type leak detector after installing.

Propane is a pretty handy gas, it was and may still be used in "Fix A Flat" due to its expansion rate.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #6

Great info guys, thank you!!
Old 01-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #7

You are near us...

Recent wet weather has lots or moisture content.

The propane is liquid in tank and where it goes from liquid to gas it boils at some temperarure.

Water boils at 212 at sea level, propane boils at ??? Based on tank pressure.

If that boiling point is below freezing then the cold gas will make feed lines cold resulting in what you have.

When tank gets less full the gas space may allow it to warm up a bit before getting into the lines.

If yiu are filling at a propane dealer show them the photo and have them confirm it is normal.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's the real problem. IMHO Since I'm a retired teacher this is what was not done while kids attend even basic science classes. Most science teachers continue to try and always deal with the theoretical instead of the practical. Why do I say that???

Well a few years back a good friend who taught physics for 40 years came to my auto shop and asked me if I had a torque wrench??

Well you can't properly put an engine together without a torque wrench. He said that he had taught torque concepts for years and never laid eyes on a torque wrench. How truly sad!!!

When gasses are compressed they generate heat. Does you shop air compressor get real hot when it works??? Ever feel the metal elbow of an air hand pump when you pump up a tire?? It's hot. Same is true when a compressed (liquefied) gas drops in pressure it drops in temps also. That's also how all AC's and heat pumps work. They compress and expand gasses. That's basic, basic science and the science teachers can't explain these concepts using practical everyday applications without using math and formula's.

How do brakes work??? They generate friction which converts energy of motion into heat energy.

We wonder why today's kids won't work at their education. They can't see the benefits or relevance of it. The teachers can't or fail to demonstrate or show them how it can in any way apply to their everyday life activities.

How sad!!!

TeJay
Old 01-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Here's the real problem. IMHO Since I'm a retired teacher this is what was not done while kids attend even basic science classes. Most science teachers continue to try and always deal with the theoretical instead of the practical. Why do I say that???

Well a few years back a good friend who taught physics for 40 years came to my auto shop and asked me if I had a torque wrench??

Well you can't properly put an engine together without a torque wrench. He said that he had taught torque concepts for years and never laid eyes on a torque wrench. How truly sad!!!

When gasses are compressed they generate heat. Does you shop air compressor get real hot when it works??? Ever feel the metal elbow of an air hand pump when you pump up a tire?? It's hot. Same is true when a compressed (liquefied) gas drops in pressure it drops in temps also. That's also how all AC's and heat pumps work. They compress and expand gasses. That's basic, basic science and the science teachers can't explain these concepts using practical everyday applications without using math and formula's.

How do brakes work??? They generate friction which converts energy of motion into heat energy.

We wonder why today's kids won't work at their education. They can't see the benefits or relevance of it. The teachers can't or fail to demonstrate or show them how it can in any way apply to their everyday life activities.

How sad!!!

TeJay
Don't know if it is just me but I had to read what you posted several times and I am still not sure what you were trying to say.
I think I need a nap
Old 01-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Don't know if it is just me but I had to read what you posted several times and I am still not sure what you were trying to say.
I think I need a nap
Same here
Old 01-11-2016, 01:40 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
That seems normal if there is any volume moving through the regulator and relative humidity is high.

Steph and Eden

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post

How sad!!!

TeJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I think I need a nap
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Same here
I think he said
A) the U.S. education system is greatly lacking
B) we're all schmucks for not immediately knowing why there was frost on the line, due to (A).

I don't disagree with (A), but (B) - well I'd like to believe I'm not ALWAYS a schmuck.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #13

Propane boils at -44 below zero also the white vapor that comes out the 80% fill valve is moisture in the air freezing thought I would add that and YES it is the cold gas going thru line that is freezing moisture on line I guess I did learn something 25 yrs in propane bussiness
Old 01-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well it's the teacher in me that just can't say what i really wanted to say in 10 words or less. Podivin said it about right.

Academic teachers can't/don't explain their information in practical ways so it can be applied to everyday life.

That's 18 words.

TeJay

Tags
propane